Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bootcamp on 2011 iMac

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Default Bootcamp on 2011 iMac
    Is there a way to have the iMac boot up and allow selection of the startup disk desired, without having to hold down the option button? I can just imagine my stubborn dad not wanting to learn how to do that...considering he already hates the fact that I made him go Mac in the first place. He tried giving the iMac away to me because I couldn't get Peachtree to install on Parallels.

Anway, yeah, is there a way or am I stuck trying to teach him how to load the startup disk selection screen?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,561 Times in 7,112 Posts

I believe any ntfs drivers will cause that to not show up in start up disk on the Mac side. You should be able to set the start up disk on the windows side normally using the boot camp control panel there though.

There is an application called rEFIt which is free and will do exactly what you want. I do recommend doing a full backup prior to installing this. I have never had any problems with it, but it does modify your EFI which could be somewhat dangerous to the novice user. The application is intended for those who want to have a triple boot configuration but I have used it with just two partitions and it works fine. Installation is quick and easy and instructions are well documented on the company's website. Best of all it's free!!

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Eh, sounds risky and its not my computer so lol. Thank you for the suggestion though, I might do that on my own MacBook though. Think I'll just teach my dad when to hold the option button and select the startup disk. I hate that he uses windows more, bc he always screws it up. I'd be surprised if he manages to screw up OS X.