Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OS X Lion boot problem

Default OS X Lion boot problem
    Hi guys,
    My older brother dropped his new MacBook Pro today and now it won't boot. It shows the apple logo when it boots and switches between that and two odd icons (see images below). I've tried using the command + boot trick and using the recovery option, but I get the same thing. He never created a backup disk of lion (silly him), and we don't have any copies. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this. I can always get one of my friends with a Mac running lion to make a backup disk, but that could take a while. Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByModMyi1323486208.115271.jpg 
Views:	2206 
Size:	1,019.8 KB 
ID:	556433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByModMyi1323486184.296313.jpg 
Views:	1466 
Size:	977.6 KB 
ID:	556432  
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 7,007 Posts

Either the hard drive is shot or the connection to the hard drive came loose and needs to be reconnected.

If it's new, why don't go to the Apple store? You just don't say you dropped it, and maybe you're fine
    Niels97Oet - On YouTube, Twitter and Please read again I only give one warning - thanks!

Thanks

Try just holding the shift key while booting for safe mode.

Or hold down The C key for a reinstall if you have the lion install disk(the snow leopard disk works fine also).
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

Folder with a flashing question mark means that it cannot find the hard drive or OS. The fact that it was dropped and your hard drive is a moving part means that it is likely that your hard drive has failed. Hopefully you have a backup of your data. Your best bet is to go into an Apple Store or contact AppleCare for a replacement drive.

Thanks, hope this helps!