+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iWork '09 or Office 2008 for mac..or both?

is a discussion within the

Mac Software

forums, a part of the

OS X

section;
Hey guys, I got office 2008 mac edition for my macbook pro (summer 2009). I'm a graduate nursing student. Should I also get the iWork '09? I've heard that program
    Thanks

Default iWork '09 or Office 2008 for mac..or both?
    Hey guys,

I got office 2008 mac edition for my macbook pro (summer 2009). I'm a graduate nursing student. Should I also get the iWork '09? I've heard that program has much more beautiful templates and layouts than office 2008, especially keynote. I downloaded the trial version for 30 days and it is indeed very neat and mac like (simple and user friendly). I know I will be doing presentations and I know how to make the keynote files compatible to open in windows powerpoint by exporting the file but I also know that you can't open a keypoint file in windows powerpoint so maybe I could get a VGA/DVI adapter to hook up my macbook pro to a projector in class.

So do you guys think it'll be worth it for me to get iWork '09 as a supplement to office 2008?

Is there a new iWork '10 coming out anytime soon?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

I personally don't like the Office suite. But, iWork is far more simpler. It gets the job done though. For example, Numbers is great for number processing, but Excel has far more features. iWork integrates you media from iTunes, iPhoto, etc. The cost is also a big issue. I have both, but use iWork more.

I haven't heard of another iWork coming soon. And hooking your macbook to a projector is easy!
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Thanks

I heard about iwork being more simpler and eventually its a little faster to get things done such as college papers/research papers in pages. I also noticed that iWork easily integrates media from itunes and iLife applications such as iPhoto as Scoops98 said. It seems that although office 2008 may have certain more advanced features, I will not be going advanced into the business sector such as marketing, tourism, accounting, financial management, etc. I'm going to be doing clinical nurse practitioner practice. I think I'll just go buy the iWork family pack from amazon or ebay, so other members in my household can also have the program. Thanks guys, keep those responses comin!
    Btw: Are most projectors used in Universities VGA or DVI?
    Last edited by imuscle74; 08-03-2009 at 11:40 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

VAG is a sure bet. Newer models will have DVI, but VGA is by far the standard.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Office no doubt. More complex but if you plan to go work in the business world you definitely need excel. I don't know if Excel macros are similar to iWork but the more you know about Excel macros the higher your pay is.

Thanks

Both I have iwork 08 and 2008 for Mac. Both work fine

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am using both as well. Starting to use OpenOffice too. Can't beat free!

Thanks
    Personally, I greatly prefer Pages to Word, and Numbers is nice, but Excel is far more advanced, so I use both as well.
    Him Herself was here. No, wait...