+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: DVD Back up and Converting

is a discussion within the

Mac Software

forums, a part of the

OS X

section;
So i wanna back up my personal DVD's and was wondering what's the best program out there for Mac.. I know most of you will say Handbrake and i've tried
    Thanks

Default DVD Back up and Converting
    So i wanna back up my personal DVD's and was wondering what's the best program out there for Mac.. I know most of you will say Handbrake and i've tried that before, not a big fan. I also have MacTheRipper 3.0... haven't tested that one yet just got it...

Another question is, What format do most DVD player play? avi? MP4?... I have a bunch of movie on my macbook and wanted to convert them. I've recently been using VisualHub to convert them to Mp4 so that i could sync them to my iphone and Blackberry bold but realized that after converting from avi to mp4 the size of the avi which was originally 6-700mb turned into 1GB+... Though i have noticed on some sites that ppl have MP4 movies with the file size of an avi.. how is that possible?

So basically my question is

A) what should i use to back up my dvd's
    B) What do most DVD/Ps3 players use as format?
    C) best converter with the least increase in file size but without loss of quality.

What's on my mac now:

Toast 9
    MacTheRipper 3.0
    VisualHub
    PopCorn 3.0

Thanks

Having just gone through the process of converting some PAL format divx to NTSC format DVD's I can answer some of your questions.

If you are looking to play the DVD on a "set-top" player - you will convert to DVD format. I used Toast 9. In the video setting I highlighted DVD -videoIf any of your files on your Mac are form a different region format (PAL vs NTSC) you will have to set the Preferences in Toast to encode the correct setting. (NTSC= USA/ Japan, PAL = most of rest of world) Your Mac will play both formats so dont make the mistake I did and go through burning 3 dvds before realizing they wouldnt play because I needed NTSC. This being irrelevant if you plan on watching the dvd's on your computer.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks

Which program is faster?? Handbrake takes several hours to convert a dmg to MP4 and it may still be converting by the time one of you guys replies to this thread LOL