Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: useful applications for mac

Default useful applications for mac
    Hey everyone,
    i just bought the new macbook, i was wondering what are some of the best applications are for it. rite now i just have the basic apps which came with it, I havent even bought MS office yet. so if you could tell me which app u think is worth getting.
    ps. im using this mac for basic school use, nothing major.

Cyberduck | FTP, SFTP, WebDAV & Amazon S3 Browser for Mac OS X. for all your sshing needs
    http://neooffice.org/ for the best office work-alike suite
    Mac RSS Reader – News Reader for Apple - NetNewsWire by NewsGator for reading RSS feeds (that's how I found your question here on MMI)

save your money, they are free!

Mac OS X Software Updates and Mac OS X Downloads - VersionTracker is one of the great places to find freeware/shareware and more
     Rocks
    http://jpassoc.com/x -- with free itunes under the puppy!
    If I help you out, please press THANKS!

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakecigar For This Useful Post:

prophet_mars (03-02-2010), sunny416 (11-13-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunny416 View Post
    Hey everyone,
    i just bought the new macbook, i was wondering what are some of the best applications are for it. rite now i just have the basic apps which came with it, I havent even bought MS office yet. so if you could tell me which app u think is worth getting.
    ps. im using this mac for basic school use, nothing major.
    Depends on what you're using it for. If it's just basic school work then you'll be fine with iLife, Quicktime Pro, Microsoft's Office 2008 and Toast. If you're planning on getting into film/television production or game design then applications such as Final Cut Studio and Autodesk Maya will interest you. If you're on a tight budget then there's Blender which is free for 3D animation and modeling. Pixologic's Zbrush also runs on OS X. The latter of which was used on movies such as Lord of the Rings. For sharing files such as when working on a school project you'll find Cyberduck for FTP very useful.

SOHO: MacBook Pro, iMac, Maya, Shake, FCS 2, iLife, iWork, Office, Time Capsule, iPhone 3G 16GB