Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac AntiVirus

Default Mac AntiVirus
    This debate has been tackled time and time again, but what are everyone's thoughts on Mac antivirus software?

I have been a Mac user for years now (purchased my first Mac in Dec. 2005) and still do not have antivirus software installed. There has just never seemed to be a need for it and that machine still runs just fine!

However, a couple months ago, I definitely found a use for antivirus software. One of my jobs is in a newspaper news room. I'm helping design and put together their new website. Well, at the end of July, I found out that all of the computers in the news room (all Macs) were infected with a Microsoft Word macro virus. I am actually still working on getting everything disinfected.

The software I have been using is Clam AntiVirus and it seems to do everything we need. I didn't need anything fancy, just something that would scan the partitions and move infected files to a folder so I could disinfect them later.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Eeeek! That doesn't sound fun at all

I've been a mac user for as long as I can remember, and I have never needed an Antivirus app for any of my machines. I, like you, just couldn't seem to find a need for it. I also refuse to use any software by MS (lol) so no MSOffice macro virus' for me :P

I'm also interested to see what everyone else here has to say on this matter though, it certainly is a debate that has been going on for a long time now...
    i r brando

Thanks

Not really a Mac virus, it would only affect Microsoft Word. As for me, I've been using Macs since 1996, and never needed a Virus program. I got hooked on all the hype long ago, before I knew any better, and bought Virus Barrier. It never found a thing.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

putting an antivirus on a mac its like a desire to place something for eating your RAM and Processor Resources.
    Dont waste your time

Thanks

Haha, to paraphrase Nietzshe: The Mac needs a VirusChecker like a fish needs a bicycle.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zsuns's Avatar
    Thanks

I think Mac is pretty anti-virus itself, and if somehow a virus did find its way onto your Mac, it's most likely not affecting you/hurting your Mac.
    It's always good to be safe though, I have the Clam AntiVirus software and use it once in a blue moon, but I only have it since it is free.
    If I was going to spend money on an AntiVirus application for the Mac, then i'd go with something from Norton since they have some good products for cheap, unlike McAfee who only has programs for enterprise coorperations, well their meant for them.
    A Thanks is always nice =]

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

I have MacScan installed. Ran it about 4 times in the past 4 months. Found nothing. But heck, i just leave in there...just in caseeeeee....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

That was a microsoft virus, which I fortunately have no chance of catching.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

So then I can be comfortable uninstalling Sophos that same installed on my ebay MacBook?

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

There are currently no MAC viruses out 'in the wild'. If you happen to need Microsoft Office on your MAC, all you need to do to protect against the Word Macro Virus on a MAC is to go into Word, choose preferences, and set up the option for Macro Virus Protection. Any user trained in using Microsoft macros would understand that they shouldn't run macros that they aren't familiar with.....

This isn't to say that there aren't any MAC viruses. There have been competitions from time to time to write viruses for the MAC platform (even within the past few months), but everything done or accomplished was more of a 'concept' virus.

If a MAC virus actually makes it out 'in the wild', you can bet it'll be a highly reported event.

I've currently got 12 MACs in our house/business. It's better (currently) to be spending your $ on something like Little Snitch. I wish they'd port it to the iPhone..
    Last edited by hartphoto; 11-07-2008 at 07:45 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrsidewayzz's Avatar
    Thanks

thats the way they get yall... using that microsoft bull on our great machines. i think word makes a windows partition and the virus goes there which affects the whole drive. just imagine... a small partition infected with one of those malicious viruses would really do it... good luck.
    mrsidewayzz
    iPhone 2G 16GB, iPod Classic 120GB
    MacBook 13.3" 2.0ghz 250GB 2GB
    YNSA, USN

Quote Originally Posted by mrsidewayzz View Post
    i think word makes a windows partition and the virus goes there which affects the whole drive. just imagine... a small partition infected with one of those malicious viruses would really do it... good luck.
    Please provide us an education on these statements WRT to MACs, if the threat currently exists.

'I think' can lead to a lot of misinformation, and cost people a lot of hard earned cash that they'd probably need to spend somewhere else these days.

Cheers!