+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "the alternatives" to high dollar software

is a discussion within the

Mac Software

forums, a part of the

OS X

section;
Photoshop may be out of reach for your wallet, but have no fear, Pixelmator is within reach of anyone's budget with "photoshop like" interface and features it's a bargain at
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Default "the alternatives" to high dollar software
    Photoshop may be out of reach for your wallet, but have no fear, Pixelmator is within reach of anyone's budget with "photoshop like" interface and features it's a bargain at only $59.00.

Recently Wired did a review of Pixelmator and put it through the paces. You can read more about the tests and outcome here: Hands-On Review: Pixelmator, a 'Photoshop Lite' for Mac Shutterbugs

For more info on Pixelmator: Pixelmator

Looking for Office software, but don't want the slow, bloated, and expensive Microsoft Office 08? NeoOffice has developed Office software compatible with the real world applications you need to get your papers written and charts drafted. I've used it on every PowerBook I have owned, and Several desktops and it runs smooth as silk. It's also constantly being updated so you can spend time hacking on your iPhone and less time worrying about your security.

Neooffice is FREE and more info can be found here: NeoOffice Home

Need a full featured FTP client that does more? Transmit does what few others can in functionality by providing you with a dual window browser so you can grab files to drop on your iPhone without having to go hunting for them.

Transmit is only $29.95! Once you see the features you'll know why it is important to BUY an FTP client.

More info on Transmit can be found here: Panic - Transmit 3 - The next-generation Mac OS X FTP client!

Need to do CSS editing, but don't have the cash for Adobe? CSSEdit is a program I have used for over a year and it's lightweight, full featured interface has helped me load quicker and work smarter than any of my Adobe applications that are many times the price and size.

CSSEdit has been called "the best CSS editing software ever" and I have to agree. CSSEdit is only $29.95 and can be bought from MacRabbit. More info here: MacRabbit - CSSEdit - Web 2.0 in Style

Plists are one of the biggest hurdles of iPhone modders. A bad editor can make your iPhone mod a nightmare, but PlistEdit Pro can make it a breeze. I've used it on my Iphone for 8 months and it is a full featured Plist editor that can do anything you need.

What's best is it is only $24.95!

Read more about Plist Edit Pro here: Fat Cat Software - PlistEdit Pro

Need client management software? Running your business on Text Edit and Apple mail? You need to try Revolver Office. I've used it for about 6 months to manage my website business and it has impressed me enough to make it a part of my daily operations. Revolver is everything you need to make a business run in the office environment.

Read a review here: Revolver Office - Download

Business management software can run in the thousands, so at under $450.00, Revolver is a deal.

Learn more about revolver here: Revolver Business Software

OK, let's talk multimedia.......

We all like movies and Toast is a bit expensive, plus the DRM restrictions are nagging when we genuinely just want to backup a movie for safe keeping.

Mac The Ripper is the easiest software to use I have ever seen and very nice quality with many options on ripping. Did I mention... FREEBIE?

Read more about Mac The Ripper here: MacTheRipper

Text edit just isn't cutting it for you? Need more control and organization? I've been using Circus Ponies Notebook for about 7 months now and have found it to be an excellent notebook application for tasks such as term papers, recipes, instructional pamphlets, and anything else you need. It has tabbed features that allow you to access any page of your "notebook" instantly and supports images embedding!

Notebook starts with academic licenses at only $29.95!

Read more here: http://www.circusponies.com/

Another great (and free!) notepad application is xPad. Xpad stores all the files you create on the right hand side in tabed form so you can access the instantly without having to go to the menu and search through each one to find what you want. I've dealt with xPad for about 6 months and it is my app of choice for quick text editing. It also supports image embedding .

Get xPad free here: http://getxpad.com/

Ever wished you could just grab anything from any webpage and keep it instantly without having to open a text editor, copy, paste, save, and do all that jive? ShoveBox is the answer. This is one of my favorite programs because it allows you to simply grab and drag anything to a "holding cell" where you can go back later and organize it.

Drag. Drop. Done.
    Drop data from just about any app.
    QuickJot Mode
    Capture at the speed of thought.
    Organize with Ease
    Folders, labels, and flags
    iSight Support
    Take down whiteboards.
    Powerful Import Rules
    Let it do the sorting for you.
    Make Web Archivesfor offline viewing
    Full-text Searchingof all imported data.
    Simple and Clean

ShoveBox is only $24.94 and I couldn't imagine life without it. Read more here: http://www.wonderwarp.com/shovebox/

Looking for an app launcher with fully customizable options? ClawMenu is one of my fav's. I use it to customize my menu preferences and launch it from the top bar leaving the dock untouched.
    ClawMenu ( was PiquantMenu) is an iconbar that integrates with OS X's menubar. It provides customizable menus that let you access your folders, your address book, your iTunes library, your Safari bookmarks, RSS feeds, the recent items on your clipboard, System Preferences, screen capture and much, much more.

Claw menu is only $19.95 and will make your life much easier while making your Mac that much nicer.

Read more here: http://clawmenu.en.softonic.com/mac
    Last edited by one1; 09-03-2008 at 06:09 AM. Reason: added more
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

2. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (10-15-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

speaking of neooffice, another office suite alternative is open office.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

True, but it's not as well supported on mac as neo is and I tried to reference the best in each category. It is however another alternative.

Developer
    Thanks

NeoOffice is actually based on OpenOffice. So when you download and use NeoOffice, you basically get all the functionality of OpenOffice, crafted specifically for OSX as opposed to Windows
    i r brando

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Really? Nice! I didn't know about that. I'll have to give it a try one of these days...
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

Yeah it's "THE" Mac Office software. I only list the good stuff.

Thanks

Wanted to add that circus ponies notebook support is TOP NOTCH. After I added a new HD I needed my serial and they were very very good at getting it to me and asking if there was anything else they could do to help.

Thanks

Notebook just got bumped up with an update and some awesome new features, give the trial a run and see if you like it.

Thanks

New Notebook beta is out.