Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Roku Outpaces Apple TV in US Sales Growth

Thanks

Default Roku Outpaces Apple TV in US Sales Growth

A recently published report claims set-top media streamers like the Apple TV will be in one out of every four homes by 2015, but market growth of Apple’s device is being outpaced by sector giant, Roku, at least in the US. In its report, “The Evolving Market for Streaming Media Devices,” market research firm Parks Associates says media streaming device sales are on the rise and will be in more than 25% of US homes by 2015 as major tech companies like Apple, Google and Amazon fight for a spot in consumers’ living rooms.

According to the study, the Roku is leading the pack as it accounts for 46% of all US set-top streamer sales in 2013. The company’s products are also touted as the “most use” devices in the nation, as 44% of households that own at least one streaming device use a Roku. The Apple TV came in a distant second with a 26% share of both sales and usage.

The gap between the two top companies has widened since the start of 2013, when Roku usage was at 37% and Apple at 24%. Globally however, Apple said it sold roughly 20 million units as of April 2014, compared to the 8 million units Roku sold by the end of 2013. Research Director at Parks Associates, Barbara Kraus, had the following to say regarding the matter:

While approximately 50 percent of U.S. households have at least one Apple product, such as an iPhone or iPad, the company has not yet been able to leverage this success for its Apple TV offering. Apple has not committed support and promotion to its Apple TV product line in the U.S., and its sales reflect this fact. As Amazon, the world's largest online retailer, emerges as a new competitor in this space, it could awaken the sleeping giant that is Apple.
    The firm also noted that stick-type streamers encroached on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and other “boxes” during 2013. For example, Google’s Chromecast reportedly sold just as many units in six months as Roku moved in all of 2013. Usage of the Chromecast has been on a decline however, suggested the popularity of the stick is diminishing. Despite the flagging interest in Chromecast, Google isn’t giving up on the living room and recently announced Android TV, its third foray into the streaming market. Much like with its Android mobile operating system, Google will focus on platform development, leaving hardware production up to OEMs. Companies such as Sony, Sharp and Philips have already signed on to make Android TV-powered television sets that will debut in 2015.

The Cupertino California company is rumored to be working on a new Apple TV product that is expected to debut by the end of the year. Not much is known about the device, though insiders believe the company will include a motional control interface akin to Microsoft’s Kinect.

Some have speculated that Apple’s upcoming iOS 8 HomeKit framework for supporting smart home products could see integration with a new Apple TV. Serving as a centralized control hub for lights, thermostats and other connected appliances, Apple’s set-top streamer would be expanding its role from content consumption device to a necessary piece of hardware in a smart home’s ecosystem.

Source: Park Associates

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Good to know, but not terribly surprising. When I was in the market for a TV box, I compared the two. The Roku was able to do everything the Apple TV could and a whole lot more. There's really no comparison.

Not surprising. AppleTV (which I own 3) has only a fraction of the content that Roku has. And half of the channels on AppleTV is crap. I mainly use it for AirPlay.

Quote Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
    Not surprising. AppleTV (which I own 3) has only a fraction of the content that Roku has. And half of the channels on AppleTV is crap. I mainly use it for AirPlay.
    Couldn't agree more. Whenever people ask me if they should get an AppleTV I only recommend it if they have an Apple Ecosystem. It's great for airplay but if you don't have an apple computer then the Roku offers far more. Makes me sad Apple hasn't been working harder to get more/better content on their AppleTV