+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Opens Mac OS X Betas to the Public

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple on Tuesday opened the OS X beta testing process to the public via the Beta Seed Program. This move represents a rather drastic change of pace for Apple, which
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Opens Mac OS X Betas to the Public

Apple on Tuesday opened the OS X beta testing process to the public via the Beta Seed Program.

This move represents a rather drastic change of pace for Apple, which has never before enabled such access.

The OS X Beta Seed Program, as Apple explains, gives users the opportunity to run pre-release software. "Test-drive beta software and provide quality and usability feedback that will help make OS X even better," Apple says.

Those who wish to participate are now encouraged to do so.

"Join the OS X Beta Seed Program and accept the Beta Seed and Confidentiality Agreement," Apple explains. "Apple will provide a Beta Access Utility for your Mac, which gives you access to pre-release versions of OS X in the Mac App Store Updates panel."

To join now or to check out the new Beta Seed Program for yourself, click here.

Thanks

I think this is just a more public situation of what they did with the iOS 7 betas.

Green Apple
    Thanks

To be honest, Mavericks itself sometimes feels like a beta -.- So many glitches and crashes compared to ML. One developer on this site even posted before that Mavericks was rushed out to release before it was completely finished.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

am i the only one who's never had a crash or found a bug. idk for me everything seems fine on my end. what is everyone experiencing?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado1987 For This Useful Post:

PokemonDesigner (04-24-2014)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    am i the only one who's never had a crash or found a bug. idk for me everything seems fine on my end. what is everyone experiencing?
    For me it's hard to say exactly...I noticed that everything, from Office to Safari, took at least 1.5x as long to load on Mavericks than on ML. I've also had many odd graphical glitches pop up everywhere. Sometimes in Mission Control, the background, space previews, and menu bar disappear. Sometimes the Dock is missing its background (looks really cool but shouldn't do that). Sometimes Notification Center shows the black bar below the menu bar, when it should only do so with full-screen apps. My desktop background choices aren't consistent, they keep switching around and sometimes even revert to really old settings that I already changed a few months ago. Animations are almost all jerky.

Logging in and restarting takes many times longer than it used to. It takes a long time to open a new Finder window sometimes. Often, the App Store won't do anything until I click "update" or "install" at least 2 times. Finder freezes and crashes pretty often, Safari even more. (I ran into a bug where trying to swipe to go to last page just crashes the browser).

It's to the point where my Windows installation is comparable in terms of speed.

Anyways, I don't think installing a beta version would alleviate these problems much.

Thanks

Why yes... yes you are.

While not the "several times an hour" that some are experiencing, I DO have a crash everyday. At least one. I've never experienced issues like this with OS X. VPN connectivity issues, AirPlay issues... starting to feel like that free upgrade to Mavericks was a bit overpriced.

Maybe it's the move from cats to stupid California beach-themed names...
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

Thanks

As far as I'm concerned Maverick's has always been a beta. What a POS OS this is. Sick of memory pressure issues, and a whole slew of other things. My Mac thinks it's a windoze box.

Thanks

I don't use the desktop as often as some do, but even I have experienced the issue where folders take a _really_ long time to load. I could press "Get Info" and see that there's at least a few files in them, but it took like more than 30 seconds for them to actually appear when I double-clicked, or even never appear. Also, if a folder contains a lot of pictures it sometimes only loads the first 20 or so thumbnails.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 04-22-2014 at 07:08 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mahboi View Post
    To be honest, Mavericks itself sometimes feels like a beta -.- So many glitches and crashes compared to ML. One developer on this site even posted before that Mavericks was rushed out to release before it was completely finished.
    Let's be totally honest here, snow leopard was the most stable release of osx.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This isn't new. The AppleSeed program has existed for years and years. It's just not very well publicized and they're pretty tight on admissions, it's not like everyone that goes up there and applies will be given access. This story seems to come up every couple of years as if it's some new revelation or program when it's not...

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Nope. Only "bug" i have is its slow to boot up which is probably just because i have left over dual boot crap i haven't fully cleaned off yet.