+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nike Layoffs Reveal New Cracks in Wearables Market

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Nike Layoffs Reveal New Cracks in Wearables Market

Earlier today, an unnamed source spoke to CNET stating that Nike will focus its efforts on fitness software as opposed to hardware. Nike recently ended up issuing a statement to Re/code indicating that it plans to continue selling and supporting the current Nike FuelBand and that it plans a “small number” of layoffs. The company didn’t directly address whether development of any new hardware will continue. The following was mentioned regarding the matter:

“The Nike+ FuelBand SE remains an important part of our business,” the company said in a statement emailed to Re/code. “We will continue to improve the Nike+ FuelBand App, launch new METALUXE colors, and we will sell and support the Nike+ FuelBand SE for the foreseeable future.”

The language does seem to leave a lot of room, however, for the possibility that the Portland athletic apparel giant won’t produce future products in the FuelBand line. One source with knowledge of the situation said that it could be that Nike wants to be able to run down its inventory of devices, or that it still has not completely decided to shutter the unit.
    Sources told Re/code that Nike has been debating for months what to do with the FuelBand line in the face of issues with financial performance and attracting engineers to work on the project.

Source: CNET, Re/code

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Or hoping to work on apps for other company's wear ables and save money they would have spent on r and d! After all they have had close ties with apple for a while

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 755 Posts

wearable tech is ********, it limits the users ability. Something physically attached to you is harder to use, unless it's fully voice automated and we are no where near that, if we were Siri would be awesome; but no it's just something you used to show off to your friends until they got an iPhone too

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    ...it limits the users ability. Something physically attached to you is harder to use, unless it's fully voice automated...
    I have a Motorola motoactv that I use for running. It has a watch band but I also grabbed an arm band. It has BT for headphones and 8gb for maps and music., and also ant+ for sensors (heart rate, etc.). Using it as a watch, I've gotten some compliments, and for tracking your heart rate and fitness metrics, it's quite nice. And, no, it's not cumbersome at all. In fact, for an info junky like me, it's great to be able to smack the face and have some female voice tell me my time, distance, split, etc. I haven't tried any other wearable tech, accept iPhone in an arm band, but I can imagine they are useful devices if they have the capabilities people want.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,305 Times in 2,723 Posts

All about what somebody needs. I have a pebble watch. I don't wear mine as much as my wife. She is a nurse. And doesn't get to be on her phone much during the day. But we keep in touch with her having te pebble. It's nice But personally I prefer owning a watch over the fuel band

Thanks

Wearable tech is definitely a 50/50 at the mo and it could go either way. I'm guessing probably the way of the dodo. I have just backed the Rufus Cuff because I'm constantly glued to my phone with work, social and trying to run my own business but at work we are not allowed to use our phones in front of clients and customers so I need something that gives me more than just notifications. However judging by the forums most people hate wearables.