+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Amazon Set to Expand Fire TV Voice Search to Third Party Apps/Services

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Amazon Set to Expand Fire TV Voice Search to Third Party Apps/Services

Many noticed an issue in Amazonís Fire TVís voice search, which is one of the platform's main features, with a lack of compatibility with third party services and apps. According to Amazon, they are working out deals with big-name content providers to merge their full catalogs with the Fire TVís search function in hopes to fix the known issue. Some big-name content providers on the list so far include Hulu Plus, Showtime Anytime, VEVO, and Crackle.

David Limp, Amazon Devices Vice President announced recently,

We're excited and energized by the momentum we're seeing with Fire TV. Customers are telling us they love it, developers are building for it, and we're working hard to expand existing features and build new ones.
    Fire TVís remote control has a built-in microphone which gathers voice commands and then sends it for speech recognition translation in the cloud. Results then go back to the set top box within seconds and effectively cancels the need for on-screen keyboards. Searches can be done from anywhere in Fire TV simply by pressing the remoteís voice search button. But for now, all returned results are from Amazonís servers, which the company is trying to change by adding third-party catalogs.

The $99 Fire TV is a great option for Amazon Prime subscribers, but for users not dedicated to Amazonís ecosystem, there are only limited benefits compared to the Apple TV and Roku.

Source: Amazon (Press Release)
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 04-17-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The $99 Fire TV is a great option for Amazon Prime subscribers, but for users not dedicated to Amazonís ecosystem, there are only limited benefits compared to the Apple TV

Amazon lets you sideload apps onto their Fire TV so you can install XBMC, unlike Apple where you have to have a jailbroken ATV2 to allow sideloading

FireTV would give me Netflix, XBMC, PLEX and Amazon Instant Video, ATV only gives me Netflix, the FireTV would be a winner for me if they released it in Europe

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Fire TV doesn't giveyou access to your local content. You have to upload it all to Amazon's cloud to stream it back to your own TV (if you can fit all your content in their limited cloud space) that's a big deal-breaker for me!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

XBMC and plex on FireTV give you local access to all your files.

Think there is also a way to access your ULTRAVIOLET content even though you can not use VUDU. Sideload apps for android I believe. Also might work for HBOGO via sideload android.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been thinking about getting a Fire. I have two ATV's that I use right now, but I have a prime account and am wondering if this would be worth getting. Any Fire users that have ATV as well that want to give me some feedback? Much appreciated!