+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes May Soon Roll Out Hi-Res 24-Bit Tracks

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
On the heels of speculation that Apple will soon roll out a significant revamp of iTunes, reports surfaced Thursday that suggest a foray into high-def music territory may also be
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iTunes May Soon Roll Out Hi-Res 24-Bit Tracks

On the heels of speculation that Apple will soon roll out a significant revamp of iTunes, reports surfaced Thursday that suggest a foray into high-def music territory may also be in the cards.

Based on the most recent chatter, 24-bit tracks could be unveiled in the coming months, likely before the company's WWDC.

"That's right - Apple will launch hi-res iTunes in two months," says blogger Robert Hutton. "And at that point, you can say goodbye to HD Tracks, Acoustic Sounds Hi-Res store, and ProStudioMasters, and probably all the other hi-res audio online stores. Apple will kill them, straight out of the box."

Presumably, songs in this high-performance category will come with a premium price-tag. But just how much remains to be seen.

"I'm not sure I feel good about Apple entering hi-res - I hate monopolies, and I sure am not an Apple fan overall," Hutton adds. "The reason labels will instantly migrate to Apple, despite business practices that are...well...not exactly consumer friendly, is that it is virtually certain there will be watermarking involved. That SHOULD be a deal breaker - for music fans at least - but the reality is, labels will hungrily embrace it."

Source: RobertMusic

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Glad to see things going to hi-res. Check out PonoMusic. If Apple gets their hi-res from the master..., WOW!!! That would be awesome

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

most probably they will charge $5 per track. They shouldn't charge no more than $2.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

If these tracks are ALAC 16/44 then I really don't see how they can charge more than the CD price. If they are higher quality still, then they can charge a premium like HDtracks.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Another tax on stupidity. 99.99% of the world's population won't be able to hear any difference.

24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed

6. The Following User Says Thank You to csglinux For This Useful Post:

*T* (04-12-2014)

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    Another tax on stupidity. 99.99% of the world's population won't be able to hear any difference.

24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed
    +1. There are very few songs that need this, and it's going to take up a lot more space on your devices. Most people don't have the headphones to hear these sounds anyway, and if they do, their hearing is probably so shot from listening to music all the time that they can't hear it anyway. The only practical users of this would be children under 10.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This is very exciting news. First of all, if anyone doesn't think they'll benefit from this, who cares. Nobody is forcing you to buy your music in this better quality, you'll still have your same old compressed trash options as always. Don't complain just because you can't happen to hear the difference. There are many who can.

This is important because it will advance the industry, making a quality option in the mainstream is important for advancing the technology we have, as opposed to how much we've set back digital audio technology in the past 15 years.
    Labels will have more opportunities to sell their music in a higher quality, and more incentive to as well. We'll see much more titles available in the format.
    There's a chance that they may finally open up iTunes to the FLAC standard as well. Which is good for anyone, regardless of whether or not they buy music.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrrom92 View Post
    This is very exciting news. First of all, if anyone doesn't think they'll benefit from this, who cares. Nobody is forcing you to buy your music in this better quality, you'll still have your same old compressed trash options as always. Don't complain just because you can't happen to hear the difference. There are many who can.
    It's been shown through multiple tests that people (of any age or demographic) choose the 'higher quality' 24-bit audio about 50% of the time, i.e., no better chance than a random guess. Check out the site I linked to and take the audio tests yourself comparing 16-bit dithered to 24-bit. Tell me if you can hear the difference. There are only two options: 1) You won't be able to tell the difference. 2) You're lying. 3) There is no 3rd option. Sorry.