Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: An Old Email from Steve Jobs Mentions Future Product Ideas

Thanks

Default An Old Email from Steve Jobs Mentions Future Product Ideas

Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, had sent an email to his top executives outlining his visions for the company in 2010. Some of which, included changes to MobileMe in hopes to top Google’s cloud services, iPhone iterations, and Apple TV 2. The email was submitted as evidence in the second Apple vs. Samsung patent trial and is a bullet list of topics for Apple’s Top 100. Apple’s Top 100 is a meeting held annually where high-ranked employees come together to help navigate the company for the next year. Even though the email only has short notes and ideas, it offers a glimpse of how Apple operates and how they viewed competition.

According to The Verge, the email mentions a “Holy War” with Google and according to Jobs, the primary reason for the Apple 2010 Top 100 meeting was because of this. In 2010, Jobs was already talking about the ‘post PC era’ and Apple being the first to reach it with the iPad. Jobs noticed the power of a tablet and a decentralized cloud-based ecosystem.

Microsoft and Google had an advantage over Apple in cloud technology due to Apple being caught in an ‘innovator’s dilemma’ regarding the Digital Hub concept. Because of this, Apple was behind and was something that had to be changed. The Apple TV was also something Jobs took special note of, saying that it was a must have accessory for iOS devices. Apple wanted to incorporate the set-top box into iOS which included TV subscriptions, expanded content, and more. A browser, apps, and a ‘magic wand’ were also mentioned.

Source: The Verge
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 04-05-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

This is why I think the next MacBook Air will probably be something like the Surface or the ASUS Transformer, where the display can be detached. While the next OS version for Mac will bridge the link between iOS even more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to onyxsolutions For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (04-06-2014)

I thought for sure this had to be fake, but this is awesome! Holy war with Google, admitting Google and Microsoft are ahead of them and that they're purposely trying to lock people into their ecosystem lmao

Quote Originally Posted by boringdays View Post
    I thought for sure this had to be fake, but this is awesome! Holy war with Google, admitting Google and Microsoft are ahead of them and that they're purposely trying to lock people into their ecosystem lmao
    The ecosystem was the only thing that kept me from going to another smartphone, but recent years have made me think twice about staying on Apple side. The iPhone 6 is the only thing I'm waiting for, if that doesn't do it for me WP or Android here I come. Don't get me wrong I love my Jb iPhone but why should I Jb my phone in order to get some features that other phones have them since 2007?

Quote Originally Posted by onyxsolutions View Post
    The ecosystem was the only thing that kept me from going to another smartphone, but recent years have made me think twice about staying on Apple side. The iPhone 6 is the only thing I'm waiting for, if that doesn't do it for me WP or Android here I come. Don't get me wrong I love my Jb iPhone but why should I Jb my phone in order to get some features that other phones have them since 2007?
    You said it, that's EXACTLY how I feel.

Thanks

You just can't leave apple. Can't do it, especially if you have a Mac and an IPhone. The ecosystem is too involved and connected, you absolutely cannot do it.

There will always be a next iPhone. I personally have used android, and for me, it fell short of what i need daily. I've said this for a long time. If you rely on a jailbreak, then you shouldn't use an iPhone. Especially with how long it takes for jailbreaks these days. If customization is what you want, then get an android, you'll have it. But also remember, android phones mostly come with secondary navigation like SenseUI and TouchWiz, that are proprietary to their manufacturers, and often times are just gimmicky items that reduce batter life. In order to to really dive deep into android you will need to root.

Also not all devices get updates right away, they rely on their carrier to release the update and/or the manufacturer to release the update that will work with their GUI interface.

For me and for many others, jailbreaking is nice, however its just a bonus. iOS in its self i believe has better apps. Most even say Google apps work better on iOS than they do on android. However i do personally believe that the function and intuitiveness of iOS is far superior. Sure limiting, but at the end of the day, for my needs, i don't need the customization.

Either way both platforms are excellent.. Always go with what your preference is. I have and iPhone, iPad, ATV2 and a rMBP, so the apple ecosystem is where it is for me. They all work flawless together, and to me that is much more valuable than visual customizations

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    There will always be a next iPhone. I personally have used android, and for me, it fell short of what i need daily. I've said this for a long time. If you rely on a jailbreak, then you shouldn't use an iPhone. Especially with how long it takes for jailbreaks these days. If customization is what you want, then get an android, you'll have it. But also remember, android phones mostly come with secondary navigation like SenseUI and TouchWiz, that are proprietary to their manufacturers, and often times are just gimmicky items that reduce batter life. In order to to really dive deep into android you will need to root.

Also not all devices get updates right away, they rely on their carrier to release the update and/or the manufacturer to release the update that will work with their GUI interface.

For me and for many others, jailbreaking is nice, however its just a bonus. iOS in its self i believe has better apps. Most even say Google apps work better on iOS than they do on android. However i do personally believe that the function and intuitiveness of iOS is far superior. Sure limiting, but at the end of the day, for my needs, i don't need the customization.

Either way both platforms are excellent.. Always go with what your preference is. I have and iPhone, iPad, ATV2 and a rMBP, so the apple ecosystem is where it is for me. They all work flawless together, and to me that is much more valuable than visual customizations
    All phones that come with bloatware you have the possibility to uninstall it, unlike iOS where you are stuck with them, ex: Newstand, Maps(Navigon or iGo better solutions for me), Passbook. I don't use these apps, why should I keep them?

As for Jb, I don't think you fully understand the scope of having a Jb phone. I do use it to change the icons, because I personally feel they look horrible, all that white in the menus is just to much for my eyes. Let's not speak about quick-reply, bluetooth sharing, adding controls to control center, etc.

All the above mentioned things you can find them stock in other phones.

Battery life is quite amazing on other smartphones in the same price range. It's even better in most cases.

Apple really needs to start thinking in terms of users and not profit margins or they will fail. iPhone might be the number one phone sold in the US but worldwide, users have gone for different platforms because of the limited ecosystem.

All phones that come with bloatware you have the possibility to uninstall it, unlike iOS where you are stuck with them, ex: Newstand, Maps(Navigon or iGo better solutions for me), Passbook. I don't use these apps, why should I keep them?

As for Jb, I don't think you fully understand the scope of having a Jb phone. I do use it to change the icons, because I personally feel they look horrible, all that white in the menus is just to much for my eyes. Let's not speak about quick-reply, bluetooth sharing, adding controls to control center, etc.

Battery life is quite amazing on other smartphones in the same price range. It's even better in most cases.

Apple really needs to start thinking in terms of users and not profit margins or they will fail. iPhone might be the number one phone sold in the US but worldwide, users have gone for different platforms because of the limited ecosystem.
    Lol I fully understand the jailbreak. I am a featured theme artist and co creator of iconomatic.

I've owned both. My android device got 1/2 the battery my iPhone does. Also lots of manufacturers force you to use their GUI and have to root to get a pure android install.

I personally do not view any of those applications mentioned as bloatware. But that's me. And you also kind of Made my point.

If you depend on a jailbreak and other platforms offer these things out of the box then switch. If you don't rely on a jailbreak then you probably don't feel the need to.

Android is a great platform. It's not the most intuitive in my opinion but again that's just my opinion.

And as far as ecosystem not sure how apples is limited. They have the most featured Eco system meaning if you have an apple product it talk to another apple product you have very well. Pictures, messages, emails, calendars, reminders and notes.

But anyway my point was millions of iPhone users don't care about switching icons. They don't care about having a quick reply. I find quick Reply on both platforms is intrusive and still hasn't been done right.
    Most Iphone users do not care about anything other than staying connect and having a phone that works and is intuitive.

And sure apple isn't as big in over countries but that means android isn't as popular in the US. Apple has stated many time they are not after world dominance. They are after making a product that is both stylish and functional.
    Last edited by subywrex; 04-06-2014 at 03:48 PM.

My iPhone 5 battery is horrible and iOS 7 is not as great as it could be. I'm waiting for the iPhone 6 to see if they finally give us a bigger screen (not too big) and A better battery! If not windows phone 8.1 looks pretty tempting.

All phones that come with bloatware you have the possibility to uninstall it, unlike iOS where you are stuck with them, ex: Newstand, Maps(Navigon or iGo better solutions for me), Passbook.
    Not without rooting them as well.

This is why I think the next MacBook Air will probably be something like the Surface or the ASUS Transformer, where the display can be detached. While the next OS version for Mac will bridge the link between iOS even more.
    Isn't this the strategy of all companies? Locking you in to their ecosystem means you will stay put. The only difference is Google and Microsoft are not hardware manufacturers. Microsoft is trying to become more like Apple. Google is but doing it through partners with the nexus line up. They all want to lock you in.

Default Mac and iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    You just can't leave apple. Can't do it, especially if you have a Mac and an IPhone. The ecosystem is too involved and connected, you absolutely cannot do it.
    I truly agree with you. There's no way I'm leaving Apple I own a MacBook Pro Retina Display and an iPhone 5S... Believe me I will never go back to Windows laptop ever again... IOS is so much smoother to operate...

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

OK, it's very apparent you have no idea what you're saying here.

Newsstand and Maps are bloatware to YOU, not to EVERYONE. Notice how I'm trying to make that extra clear... I have Apple products and I have a Galaxy S3. Apple products don't come loaded with all the **** that Android does. AKA Google Drive, Gmail, Google+, Hangouts, Flipboard, and any other program that Google FORCES device manufacturers to put on YOUR device. Does Apple do that? No. iOS comes with the basic components that make iOS... iOS. They don't force you to have the app for an email service you'll never have, they don't force you to have an app for a social network that you'll never use. They give you the basic components that are needed to use your device. Newsstand is for your magazines (if you own any) and maps is if you would like to travel somewhere. Utilities? Yes! Bloatware? No! Just because you don't use them doesn't mean they're worthless. Apple is not forcing you to use them, nor is there some signup required or anything. Both can be extremely useful when you need them though.

On the other hand, we have Gmail, Google Hangouts, Google+, etc. All of them are optional, but at the same time, what if I don't have an account, and I don't plan on using any of them? What the hell are these apps doing besides taking up disk space? NOTHING. Google FORCES device manufacturers to load that crap on there, not even including what the device manufacturer decides they want to put on there. Otherwise, the provider (T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.) is not authorized to distribute Android commercially. Apple doesn't do that. They give you iOS and nothing more. Everything from there on out is decided by you. Nope, Google doesn't let you do that. Instead, they give you some email client that you'll never have an account for.

I use my S3 and my iPod everyday. Android comes with bloatware that is unremovable without a root, iOS comes with basic components. Are the components bloatware? No. Is the Gmail client that I'll never use bloatware? Yes. Google forces you to have it regardless. Sure, Newsstand may be useless to you, but it's not necessarily bloatware because you're getting a service from Apple. If Newsstand is bloatware, then the App Store and Play Store are bloatware too, because what if I don't need any apps? What if I just want to make calls and text people?

I like my S3 and my iPod. I don't hate either, but you really don't know what you're talking about if you want to call Newsstand and Passbook bloatware.

Please think about things before making comments like this.
    Last edited by H4CK3R; 04-06-2014 at 07:08 PM.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

I'm not so sure you are clear on what you're saying. You are leaving Apple if their next phone isn't up to snuff? And you're going to go to Windows Phone (have one...it's horrible. I have to use it for work, though I find myself using my personal iPhone to get more done) or an Android? You are basing it under the notion that you shouldn't have to jailbreak, correct? Sad to say, I don't NEED my jailbreak anymore. I still have it on because there are a few things I enjoy, but is it totally necessary? No. Actually, the phone runs great when there is no jailbreak as sometimes you load up your phone with so many tweaks it restrings like crazy!

You must understand two points though. 1: If you are the kind of person that enjoys the customization of your phone (the reason we jailbreak) then you won't be satisfied with either a Windows Phone or an Android. First of all the Windows Phone sucks as far as customization. You can customize an Android phone, but will it be enough? Maybe I'm wrong, but if you like it so much to switch to a new phone, I am assuming you like to customize a lot. And you will be limited still on an Android. Sure, there are more customizations than iPhone, but there is still a limit to what you can do with it as well (unless you root it...and let's be honest, why root when you can jailbreak?).

2. Look at it from Apples perspective. You are trying to please MILLIONS of people all over the world. Sure, I don't understand why they don't have a quick reply in their app...but at least they are keeping with a standard. Everyone knows their phones and how they operate. There are going to be annoyances with any phone but it just depends on the person. I like gridlock. I like being able to move my icons where I want them. However, on the flip side of that, my mother-in-law has an iPhone and if she started moving icons around and placing they different spots...she would lose half her apps and I would be on the phone for 2 hours trying to (not kill myself) talk her through how to get them back on the same page.

To each his own. I'd say though, just because you jump ship to another phone, remember they have their limitations too.

**cough* *cough* like the horrible finger sensor on the S5 *cough* *cough*

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to holyshnikes For This Useful Post:

slim.jim (04-06-2014), SpidermanAPV (04-06-2014)

Thanks

You should try making your own Passbook passes. I have made a bunch of them ($1/each) and they work great. I have them programmed to use location services so when I walk into a store it pops up on my lock screen and I don't have to carry and loyalty cards around anymore. Simply slide on the lock screen and it quickly opens up the card and the cashier scans it.

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post

On the other hand, we have Gmail, Google Hangouts, Google+, etc. All of them are optional, but at the same time, what if I don't have an account, and I don't plan on using any of them? What the hell are these apps doing besides taking up disk space? NOTHING. Google FORCES device manufacturers to load that crap on there, not even including what the device manufacturer decides they want to put on there. Otherwise, the provider (T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.) is not authorized to distribute Android commercially. Apple doesn't do that. They give you iOS and nothing more. Everything from there on out is decided by you. Nope, Google doesn't let you do that. Instead, they give you some email client that you'll never have an account for.

Please think about things before making comments like this.
    I would really recommend trying to see what your phone can and can't do before throwing accusations left and right, I used a htc one and a nexus 7 and on each of them I could remove anything google related, I can't remember exactly where in the menu, they have the option to remove all updates and after you remove the updates you can remove the app.

As you stated newstand and passbook aren't bloatware for everyone, ok, then give me the possibility to remove it.

@holyshnikes for the customization part, I only have a new theme and eclipse installed, I hate the look of the standard ios7, it's like a kid phone.

@H4CK3R are you really comparing newstand with gmail client? If so, sorry to say but your to much of a fan boy to know anything else.

Look at the so called amazing, new, incredible features that you get: control center,notification center which are total ripoffs from the other companies. Apple never imagined the wheel they just polished it. Unfortunately by the way thing are going, they will always be just a step behind. Sure, they brought you the 64bit architecture, what does it do to you? More speed? You had speed on your previous phone. Why didn't they make a bigger, better battery?

Most of the new features that you saw on the iphone for the past 3 years has already been used on a different phone. Do you guys remember the first introduction of the ipad and when they asked Steve about the screen size and he said that 9.7 was the perfect size? Then why do we have the ipad mini?

Because there is a market for it. The only problem they have now is that consumers don't replace their tablets like they do their phones and as such they will make you change them. How? Easy, with a nice new update that makes them unusable, they will make apps that run with the latest iOS version, and so on.

Why didn't we see an Apple TV set? Because Steve wasn't satisfied with the profit margins from them. He wasn't satisfied with the fact that you change your TV on average once every 5 years.

How come a 2007 lenovo x200s with 4Gb of RAM and Windows 7 better manage RAM then a 2013 MBA with Mavericks? I always have swap used after a days work, I don't even use that many applications.

Why should I have to fork up 80$ yearly for a new charger because they don't use better material for their products? My Lenovo charger hasn't been changed since the initial purchase.

Why should I have to fork up 200-300$ after 2 and a half years because my SSD shows signs of wear and tear due to the daily swap used by the RAM management? Because guess what your AppleCare doesn't include things that are considered consumables, battery, SSD, charger.

On this note, I won't even post anymore, I don't see the point of bashing on a forum that was meant to shine a light on Apples opinion and strategy.

"Good artists copy, great artists steal!"
    Last edited by onyxsolutions; 04-06-2014 at 09:51 PM.

I wonder if the reason they never made iCloud function (for the user, not on the backend) like a simple filesystem is because they're trying to use it to further lock people into the ecosystem.

Locking it down (or at least making it very difficult for the layman to access) certainly does that, though it does and has removed quite a bit of functionality.

Hopefully a bunch of men in black suits with Apple logos don't come showing up at my door.

Honestly, though. Apple really doesn't need to worry about people leaving its ecosystem. It's like going black, really. And with Samsung's silly ads that simply bash Apple users, those Apple users generally respond viscerally to Samsung because, well, they're being generalized and insulted by this completely foreign company. Who wouldn't be mad about that?

On this note, I won't even post anymore[...]
    Good. Now shaddap.
    Last edited by Christophxr; 04-06-2014 at 10:14 PM.

I would really recommend trying to see what your phone can and can't do before throwing accusations left and right, I used a htc one and a nexus 7 and on each of them I could remove anything google related, I can't remember exactly where in the menu, they have the option to remove all updates and after you remove the updates you can remove the app.

As you stated newstand and passbook aren't bloatware for everyone, ok, then give me the possibility to remove it.

@holyshnikes for the customization part, I only have a new theme and eclipse installed, I hate the look of the standard ios7, it's like a kid phone.

@H4CK3R are you really comparing newstand with gmail client? If so, sorry to say but your to much of a fan boy to know anything else.

Look at the so called amazing, new, incredible features that you get: control center,notification center which are total ripoffs from the other companies. Apple never imagined the wheel they just polished it. Unfortunately by the way thing are going, they will always be just a step behind. Sure, they brought you the 64bit architecture, what does it do to you? More speed? You had speed on your previous phone. Why didn't they make a bigger, better battery?

Most of the new features that you saw on the iphone for the past 3 years has already been used on a different phone. Do you guys remember the first introduction of the ipad and when they asked Steve about the screen size and he said that 9.7 was the perfect size? Then why do we have the ipad mini?

Because there is a market for it. The only problem they have now is that consumers don't replace their tablets like they do their phones and as such they will make you change them. How? Easy, with a nice new update that makes them unusable, they will make apps that run with the latest iOS version, and so on.

Why didn't we see an Apple TV set? Because Steve wasn't satisfied with the profit margins from them. He wasn't satisfied with the fact that you change your TV on average once every 5 years.

How come a 2007 lenovo x200s with 4Gb of RAM and Windows 7 better manage RAM then a 2013 MBA with Mavericks? I always have swap used after a days work, I don't even use that many applications.

Why should I have to fork up 80$ yearly for a new charger because they don't use better material for their products? My Lenovo charger hasn't been changed since the initial purchase.

Why should I have to fork up 200-300$ after 2 and a half years because my SSD shows signs of wear and tear due to the daily swap used by the RAM management? Because guess what your AppleCare doesn't include things that are considered consumables, battery, SSD, charger.

On this note, I won't even post anymore, I don't see the point of bashing on a forum that was meant to shine a light on Apples opinion and strategy.

"Good artists copy, great artists steal!"
    Lmfao. That's all. This was gibberish.

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BUcLAo69 View Post
    I truly agree with you. There's no way I'm leaving Apple I own a MacBook Pro Retina Display and an iPhone 5S... Believe me I will never go back to Windows laptop ever again... IOS is so much smoother to operate...
    I'm in the same boat. As far as the phone itself, I'd love to try an Android....it's just that my wife and I both have iPhones, we have two macbook pros, three iPads (one is work provided), and an Apple TV. I'm in too deep now.

Anyway, I genuinely like the products. It's not like I'm sticking with a phone I don't like because of all this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast