Results 1 to 16 of 16

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Nest Protect Sales Halted While Issue Is Being Sorted Out

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,367
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 144 Times in 129 Posts

    Default Nest Protect Sales Halted While Issue Is Being Sorted Out


    It has been announced recently by Google-owned smart home firm Nest, that sales of the Protect Smoke + CO Alarm has been suspended. It has been reported that the productís built-in convenience feature has a possible safety risk.

    Protectís ĎNest Waveí is a function that turns the alarm off by just waving your hand but it has been reported that it may be unintentionally activated. When this happens, in a case of a real fire, an alert could be delayed. A letter was posted onto Nestís website and cofounder and ex Apple executive Tony Fadeli stated the following:

    We identified this problem ourselves and are not aware of any customers who have experienced this, but the fact that it could even potentially happen is extremely important to me and I want to address it immediately.

    We feel that the best and safest thing to do is to immediately disable the Nest Wave feature to resolve the issue and remove any safety concerns. While we fix Nest Wave, we have also halted sales of all new Nest Protect alarms to ensure no one buys an alarm that needs an immediate update.
    Nest Wave has been automatically deactivated on Nest Protect units connected via Wi-Fi, effective immediately. The company has also halted sales of new Protect devices while the issue is fixed. Users have been asked to turn on Protectís Wi-Fi function so their unit can receive the update. Full refunds are being offered to new owners who do not have Wi-Fi connectivity to update the product appropriately.

    Source: Nest

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    Attention readers: you can purchase a smoke detector that works reliably for $10 or less. You don't need an iphone enabled smoke detector. Stop trying to keep up with the Jones family already. If you have an extra $100 burning a hole in your pocket go donate it to a shelter and feed 50 people for the day instead.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exNavy For This Useful Post:

    buggsy2 (04-04-2014), kosher1 (04-04-2014)

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Attention readers: you can purchase a smoke detector that works reliably for $10 or less. You don't need an iphone enabled smoke detector. Stop trying to keep up with the Jones family already. If you have an extra $100 burning a hole in your pocket go donate it to a shelter and feed 50 people for the day instead.
    Perhaps you should have taken your own advice before you bought your iPhone. A reliable phone can be purchased for much less.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NOYB111 For This Useful Post:

    buggsy2 (04-04-2014), HovikGas (04-06-2014)

  6. #4
    ExNavy, I agree with you in regards to the cost. But I just bought a home and the first thing I did was replaced the smoke detectors which are visible when you had people visit with the nest one. Think about it you try to make your house look modem in the inside and them you have this ugly thing hanging in the ceiling. I also bought the nest thermostat which paired with the nest protect senses if there is people home to adjust your AC usage and save on energy.

  7. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Attention readers: you can purchase a smoke detector that works reliably for $10 or less. You don't need an iphone enabled smoke detector. Stop trying to keep up with the Jones family already. If you have an extra $100 burning a hole in your pocket go donate it to a shelter and feed 50 people for the day instead.
    attention guy who thinks he knows how I should live my life and spend my money: you don't.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to novadam For This Useful Post:

    HovikGas (04-06-2014)

  9. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Attention readers: you can purchase a smoke detector that works reliably for $10 or less. You don't need an iphone enabled smoke detector. Stop trying to keep up with the Jones family already. If you have an extra $100 burning a hole in your pocket go donate it to a shelter and feed 50 people for the day instead.



    well said guy!!!!!!! (y)

  10. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I live in a house
    Posts
    505
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 44 Times in 28 Posts

    Lol the fu**ing arrogance is amazing on this forums, you'd think they are all 5 year olds by the way they talk. Its humorous. And hes right. Sorry the rest of you idiots spent an extra $100 so you can wave at a alarm. And even if thats the case, idunno why you need to shi* on the guy, "Perhaps you should have taken your own advice before you bought your iPhone. A reliable phone can be purchased for much less." Well Perhaps you should take my advice and STFU, Good day sir.

  11. #8
    You guys are too funny i earn my money and therfore i choose how to spend it if i want a $100 smoke detector and can afford it after all my bills are paid i will get one tired of supporting thoes who choose not to support themselves.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to tridley68 For This Useful Post:

    Rcworship (04-05-2014)

  13. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Attention readers: you can purchase a smoke detector that works reliably for $10 or less. You don't need an iphone enabled smoke detector. Stop trying to keep up with the Jones family already. If you have an extra $100 burning a hole in your pocket go donate it to a shelter and feed 50 people for the day instead.
    I cant agree with you more about the donation , but I am note sure that you find a good reliable smoke?co for $10. This is a very serious safety issue we hear and see entire families dead because of poor or non exiting CO alarm. I am not sure where are you from but from where I am is now law to have those. Therefore Nest is expensive but works (except wave) and a reliable alternative is from $60 up.

  14. #10
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I live in a house
    Posts
    505
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 44 Times in 28 Posts

    No those people die not because the alarm doenst work.. its because they dont test them x2 a year and change the battery..

  15. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    Lol the fu**ing arrogance is amazing on this forums, you'd think they are all 5 year olds by the way they talk. Its humorous. And hes right. Sorry the rest of you idiots spent an extra $100 so you can wave at a alarm. And even if thats the case, idunno why you need to shi* on the guy, "Perhaps you should have taken your own advice before you bought your iPhone. A reliable phone can be purchased for much less." Well Perhaps you should take my advice and STFU, Good day sir.
    Just pointing out that his argument about how to spend our money makes no sense. You cannot state a cheaper option is available for one thing and not apply the same logic to another. Especially on a forum where you are paying top dollar for the device you use. Besides, if you cannot form a basic English sentence then your point is invalid. I have a NEST thermostat and its awesome. I think you should both sell your iPhones and feed the poor. Its the right thing to do based on your obvious high held convictions.

  16. #12
    Umm this thread took a left turn. Lol.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to mlee19841 For This Useful Post:

    spectrum (04-04-2014)

  18. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    Umm this thread took a left turn. Lol.
    +1

  19. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by NOYB111 View Post
    Perhaps you should have taken your own advice before you bought your iPhone. A reliable phone can be purchased for much less.
    Lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  20. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by NOYB111 View Post
    Perhaps you should have taken your own advice before you bought your iPhone. A reliable phone can be purchased for much less.
    whata DICKHEAD

  21. #16
    What's Jailbreak? Shashlike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Munich, Germany (Europe)
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Innovation does not seem to include logic sometimes. Flaws in such an important product cause a much bigger splash than a battery powered battery charger or DVD rewinder. Doesn't it feel like they started with a sexy casing, LED, speaker, WLAN and only at the end stuck in the sensors.
    But seriously, what DID they test prior to releasing their product? The LED functionality? WLAN range? WAF (Woman acceptance Factor)?

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •