Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Courting Prospective Swiss Smartwatch Partners

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Apple Courting Prospective Swiss Smartwatch Partners

According to a new report from the Financial Times, Apple is actively courting prospective partners among Swiss smartwatch makers as Apple purportedly inches closer to producing its inaugural smartwatch product.

Sources at Swatch, for example, say Apple is among the major tech names (including Google and Samsung) that are attempting to forge partnerships... but to no avail just yet.

Swatch, the world’s biggest watchmaker by sales, which owns luxury watch brands Harry Winston, Breguet and Blancpain, says it has little intention of working with technology groups.
    “We have been in discussions – not ever initiated by us – with practically all players in smart wearables up until today,” Swatch chief executive Nick Hayek told the Financial Times. “However, we see no reason why we should enter into any partnership agreement.”

So why exactly would Swatch want to avoid working with the world's top tech titans? Simply put, it wants to hold on to its market share by retaining the "intellectual property advantages" that enabled it to grow and thrive in the first place.

Jean-Claude Biver, the president of LVMH’s watches and jewellery division, is also quoted in the report, alleging that Apple is trying to recruit talent from his Hublot brand. “Apple has contacted some of my employees." he says. "I saw the emails personally."

Source: The Financial Times

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

watches are uncommon on young people now. clearly these people can see that. These partnerships will be the only lifeboat these dying industries ever get and instead they'd rather drown.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I would love to see an Apple Watch with some of the Hublot design features!

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    watches are uncommon on young people now. clearly these people can see that. These partnerships will be the only lifeboat these dying industries ever get and instead they'd rather drown.

im 20 and have a pebble.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_X View Post
    im 20 and have a pebble.
    That's exactly the point.

Smart-watches are the only watches that today's generation will wear on their wrists.

Today's watches must provide more info apart from time, date and altitude.

Hope Swatch realises this soon before they become a dying industry!

I disagree, the youth of today is very fashion conscious and though they dont really want the watch as a 'time telling piece' - they want it as an 'accessory' to make up their outfit.

Smart watches are fugly at the moment, and Im hoping Apple fixes this...
    mod edit/links removed

Quote Originally Posted by SupaMonkey View Post
    I disagree, the youth of today is very fashion conscious and though they dont really want the watch as a 'time telling piece' - they want it as an 'accessory' to make up their outfit.

Smart watches are fugly at the moment, and Im hoping Apple fixes this...
    Not too sure about that. Have you seen that new Motorola Smart watch coming out? Sexy as hell.

Moto 360 is the best looking one now.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

A smart wearable that looks like a traditional watch will be DOA. Make it a flexible LCD band.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

SpidermanAPV (03-29-2014)

Thanks

Sorry, that is complete bs. You are out of touch, or your experiences don't represent the population. Watches are cool, everyone knows that. If you walk around with a g-shock, or just a nice watch, it's the same as having a sick hat or shoes. Accessories are everything, and nice watches are more expensive but you can get a nice used watch for under a hundred bucks. I don't wear a watch to be cool, I like to know the time and date. I have a $30 Casio that I regret buying because it's has lost 14 seconds since I bought it in January but hey, you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by pkmaximum View Post
    Not too sure about that. Have you seen that new Motorola Smart watch coming out? Sexy as hell.
    Sure, that one is rather nice - operative word there being "coming" - as in, its not released yet though Im talking about all the people who 'rushed' to get one out, didnt pay attention to design almost.
    mod edit/links removed

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

No impressed by that motorola smart watch. Look just like another watch for me.