+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Amazon to Launch Set-Top Box Next Week

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Report: Amazon to Launch Set-Top Box Next Week

For weeks, we've been told it's coming. And now the launch may be as close as next Wednesday.

According to published reports Thursday, Amazon will launch its Apple TV competitor, a set-top box for streaming digital content and multimedia on April 2nd.

The ecommerce titan practically spilled the beans on its plans today when it distributed invites to select members of the press to its media event in New York next week. Reporters are asked to attend the Amazon event for an “update on our video business." The invite, pictured above, clearly alludes to a living room-related product announcement.

"Amazon’s device will compete with offerings from Apple, which has sold 13 million units of its Apple TV box, Roku, which has sold 8 million units, and Google, which has said it has sold 'millions' of its Chromecast sticks," says Peter Kafka of re/code.

Apple, while rumored to launch a new Apple TV any time now, is going on two years since the last hardware refresh - a veritable eternity in this fast-growing market.

Source: Re/Code

Thanks
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

Will be interesting to see what they bring to the table

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,057 Times in 1,696 Posts

I've never tried Apple TV but I had a Roku 3 for 1 day before returning it. Most of those apps were on my xbox. Being a prime member I'll read up on it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Does it come complete with Amazon bloatware? That's my favorite part of Amazon products—gotta have the bloatware!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    Does it come complete with Amazon bloatware? That's my favorite part of Amazon products—gotta have the bloatware!
    I don't own any Amazon products. What kind of "bloatware" do they have? A web browser? A book reader? An email client? I think that's standard / expected for most tablets.