Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Oculus Co-Founder Says Facebook Better Than Apple for Acquisition

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Oculus Co-Founder Says Facebook Better Than Apple for Acquisition

Last night, Facebook confirmed plans to acquire Oculus VR, makers of the Rift headset that has effectively captured the fascination of gamers and virtual reality fans everywhere.

But is the $2 billion acquisition really worth it for Facebook? Mark Zuckerberg thinks so. And so does Palmer Luckey, the co-founder of Oculus, who asserts that Facebook is a much better buyer than Apple would have been.

Almost instantly upon the announcement from Facebook that it's pursuing this acquisition, speculation mounted that Apple missed a precious opportunity to aggressively forge into the VR space. But, alas, Apple apparently didn't have the interest. And to Luckey, that's fine by him.

"Why would we want to sell to someone like (Microsoft) or Apple?" he proposed in comments shared with Reddit. "So they can tear the company apart and use the pieces to build out their own vision of virtual reality, one that fits whatever current strategy they have? Not a chance."

Through the Facebook deal, Oculus will continue to operate and innovate independently.

"We don't have to compromise on anything, and can afford to make decisions that are right for the future of virtual reality, not our current revenue," Luckey added. "Keep in mind that we already have great partners who invested heavily in Oculus and got us to where we are, so we have not had full control of our destiny for some time. Facebook believes in our long term vision, and they want us to continue executing on our roadmap, not control what we do."

So, did Apple miss a valuable opportunity here, or will Oculus ultimately be more of a liability than an asset to Facebook? Only time will tell.

Source: Reddit

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 754 Posts

I say nope! I don't see Apple messing with VR, no need for it. MS yes, because they could use it to integrate with games for their Xbox and stuff.

Thanks

Super pumped for VR timelines!

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I was watching them for the FPV aspect of it. Lots of guys are waiting to see what happens on that front.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

Vr is the future...think about it.

We have dreamed about it , wanted it and now it has a physical form still evolving ....it will be really PERSONAL..Good for our buddy fb... I'll like to believe they'll want to Maximize the Potential and Future of it....You can also squeeze in Bitcoin ...in thAt equation ...Watering the seeds....

So Oculus can still make it for gaming but Facebook just makes some money off of it? Or is it like the one Simpsons episode?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

I still thing that selling Oculus to Facebook wasn't the best decision. Yeah they made a quick $2 billion, but I hope Facebook doesn't run it into the ground like many big companies do with acquired indie projects