+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Time Publishes Apple 'Doomsday Clock'

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Sounds like the same pack of whiners who ***** about jailbreaks taking too long.
    Thanks

Sounds like the same pack of whiners who ***** about jailbreaks taking too long.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple hasn't been innovative since Tim cook took over. No iwatch, no new Apple TV, no big LCD phone, boring.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 717 Posts

wearable tech is a gimmick, strap your iDevice to your wrist and see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Apple hasn't been innovative since Tim cook took over. No iwatch, no new Apple TV, no big LCD phone, boring.
    Apple hasn't been innovative since the iPhone, when they reinvented the mobile phone; prove me wrong
    Last edited by dsg; 03-21-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks

Time Magazine determining irrelevance?! Well, they're experts in that subject. Physician, heal thyself.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Turn off Fox News and read Wikipedia, yeah because when the entire world can edit the info there it HAS to be 100% accurate, NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    No, you silly, uneducated Conservative, they're not trying to jab at Capitalism for this. What the hell? How would labor unions have anything to do with Apple's success anyway? And how would Apple's decline have anything to do with Capitalism not working? Do you even know what Capitalism is? Or what labor unions are? Turn off the Fox News and at least Wikipedia the words you hear, for those words aren't as empty as your understanding of them.

Please.

I was about to make a joke and say, "They can't wait for the iWatch either, so they publish articles like these to try to light the fire under Apple's feet? Silly humans." But your comment was so stupid it just whisked away any comedic effect.

What they're doing is the same thing everyone else is doing—they're saying something that is both controversial and (has already been) repeated into tedium so that they can sell magazines. The truth is never so banal because it's rarely ever sold.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,056 Times in 1,696 Posts

Somehow I think apple will survive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    Apple doesnt even have to innovate that much, they just have to keep us up to date on the newest tech, I mean sure some innovation but nothing mind blowing, and I would still buy their products as would most people. Some people think it's because were sheep but it's because the Iphone is a universal device now. Everyone has easy accessibility to apps/music/movies etc. and knows its interface. The tech is good and fast. Itunes is very universal as well, honestly I think itunes is the reason apple had so much success, Android still doesnt have a good computer - android tech that connects all of the devices.
    I agree. My iPhone 4 after two years began running slow. My iPhone 5 will be two this fall and it's still as fast as the day I bought it, even with the latest software.
    Apple TV completely changed the way I watch TV, play music, or roughly any way I entertain myself in my house. ONLY iPhone connects to everything in my house, door locks, thermostat, lights, stereos in two rooms and home theatre, even my alarm clock... And it all works seamlessly. I still haven't seen any android or windows system that will do that.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And nothing apple currently makes, in my opinion, is broke.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnutt For This Useful Post:

ecofrankenstein (03-22-2014)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Misreadings....
    [Double post; still hadn't been approved or appeared by 2pm so tried again further down, sorry]
    Last edited by A. Leal; 03-22-2014 at 10:31 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charblee View Post
    It isn't neccesarily about the "iWatch" or whatever they may/may not call it. It's about the fact that they haven't released anything spectacular in a while, and that is what made Apple what Apple is today. I use a myriad of Apple products, but I have to agree with him.
    Apple has never released anything "spectacular" and certainly nothing innovative either. They've simply released products that have already existed in the market but better, simpler, higher-quality and with the mind of making it something that everyone can use.

I'm a huge Apple fan—I really am—but people are attributing a false narrative to it. Steve Jobs wasn't an innovator—devices similar to smartphones (palm pilots for one) existed long before the iPhone. MP3 players existed long before the iPod. Laptops existed long before the Macbook.

Apple doesn't need to release ANYTHING that's "innovative," they just need to release the best products in categories that already exist. That's what they've always done.

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    This.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by wb4whd View Post
    Turn off Fox News and read Wikipedia, yeah because when the entire world can edit the info there it HAS to be 100% accurate, NOT.
    *Facepalm*

You realize anybody can write any article anywhere, right? And that Wikipedia cites its sources? And that for political philosophies or the definitions/histories of, say, labor unions, it pretty much gets it right? And that you, as a consumer of it, can't get it wrong if you have half a brain?

I know your straw man argument sounded really smart to you and all but, well, it made me facepalm.
    Last edited by Christophxr; 03-22-2014 at 01:39 AM.

Thanks

Someone explain this to me: Who else is "innovating" - per the definition of the word - these days, in the smartphone/tablet/pc markets? Since Apple is so stagnant and all these other companies are supposedly surpassing them, list some of their "innovations".

Google Glass is about all I can think of, and it's probably doomed to social pariah-dom.

"Larger screens" are not innovative.
    Multi-tasking on a tablet is a decent feature - not innovation.
    Knight Rider watches aren't, either.

Apple innovates, then everyone else (even Apple) just updates and tweaks.

Apple's the one player - maybe Google too - big enough globally to fundamentally change the TV/cable content landscape. It'll be a fight, but I'm betting that's their next "innovation" and game-changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    Apple has never released anything "spectacular" and certainly nothing innovative either. They've simply released products that have already existed in the market but better, simpler, higher-quality and with the mind of making it something that everyone can use.
    I think this is over-simplifying it. Take the iPad. Apple didn't "invent" the tablet - those had been around for years. But they did "innovate" the tablet into what it has become ubiquitously known. That market was dead. Now, every - EVERY - tablet in use today owes its DNA to that "big iPod Touch". Same thing happened with the iPhone, and the coupling with the AppStore is what really set that off on its trajectory.

"Innovation" changes the landscape, and Apple has done that their entire existence. Personal computers, all-in-ones, smartphones, tablets, music players... all of those markets fundamentally changed because of Apple's innovation.

Apple's main concern now is that many of these younger startups are filled with people who grew up WITH Apple, and inspired by them... so now there will be a landscape of forward-thinking, paradigm-shattering companies. Hopefully, anyway. This article proclaiming Apple's death if they don't release a damn calculator watch is asinine.
    Last edited by ChicagoV; 03-22-2014 at 02:45 AM.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Chicago, u nailed it. The problem is Apple is held to a different standard. Nobody cares if Samsung isn't innovating when they are making knock off iPads that my kids won't even use. Other than Google, most of these other companies are just doing tweaks and not game changers. And even Google realizes it's about creating an integrated ecosystem (software, hardware, cloud) more than just innovating.

Think about how much innovation our cars have had in the last dozen years - not that much comparatively.

The irony of Time calling someone irrelevant is too much. Apple could buy them and close them down without batting an eye.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi! I'm new here, and I've been having trouble figuring out the moderator approval and all that (so double posted into the ether). Hopefully this gets through.

Neither TIME nor its tech writer Harry McCracken (who is admittedly a good friend of mine) called Apple irrelevant or said it was doomed (the clock is intended as a joke). The first post in this thread is mistaken, based on a misreading of the article, incorrectly describes or attributes attitudes, *and* the link below to "Source: Time" is actually to CNBC (an article from Thursday with the actual "Apple is doomed in 60 days" prediction by Global Equities Research director Trip Chowhdry, who has a tendency to make odd Apple-related predictions or misstatements, but was taken at face value by CNBC).

Here's the actual TIME article:
    If There’s No iWatch in 60 Days, Apple Is Doomed, Doomed, Doomed - TIME

The TIME piece was a response to that, critiquing Chowhdry in a humorous manner. It's clear from the first sentence to anyone reading closely that McCracken does *not* support, endorse, or agree with Chowhdry's claim: "I’m used to rolling my eyes when analysts issue proclamations about Apple, but I can’t remember ever sputtering in disbelief — until now."

The initial post also misread and takes out of context another part of the article: "By McCracken's admission, saying that Apple could be doomed if it doesn't dazzle us with an iWatch (or something new and exciting) within the next 60 days isn't just "another wacky over-the-top Apple prediction."

No, this is what was written: "But saying that Apple will (not “might”) disappear (not “suffer a setback”) if it doesn’t produce an iWatch in 60 days (not “reasonably soon”)? That’s not another wacky over-the-top Apple prediction. The prognosticator who Chowdry reminds me of most is the late evangelist Harold Camping...." He then explains that Camping was the man who predicted the world would end on October 21, 2011. So the comparison hardly suggests a great deal of confidence in the "gone in 60 days" claim.

He also clarifies *why* he thinks the claim is ridiculous, largely for the same reasons people have mentioned here, assuming that a need for a wearable or "iWatch" or whatever is that important to start with: "With Chowdhry’s quote, though, there’s no mitigating factor. It’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen an alleged expert say about Apple. Especially given that the company entered the MP3 player, smartphone and tablet markets years after numerous other companies — part of the secret of its success is swooping into markets awfully late in the game."

Then, as a joke, he says "there’s some chance that I’m the dummy. Just in case, I’ve created the above Apple Doomsday Clock, which is counting down even as we speak. It’s set to conclude 60 days after the publication of Thompson’s story."

One can of course disagree with the tone, whether it's too frivolous, and so on, but I just felt it only fair to clarify what TIME and the author actually said, especially since nothing here linked to the real article. Thanks, and I hope this got through this time.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A. Leal For This Useful Post:

ChicagoV (03-23-2014), LittleGod (03-23-2014)

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greatbiguns View Post
    This guys should change his name from "Harry" to Phil....

Phil MaCracken goes much better with his ridiculous prediction.....
    I bet the guys at Apple have started looking for new jobs now that time dropped this bombshell... "APPLE CLOSING DOORS BY JUNE!"
    That guy Phil used to hang around with Pat McGroin over at Paddys Pub right?

iPhone? More like MyPhone kosher1's Avatar
    Thanks

Bull. Don't believe anything u read.

Thanks

Consider...the facts ...apple has always wowed people...every year...there was a flagship feature ....a must have...up to the iphone 4s it was like that for me .... I paid 400$ for my 3gs when it came out....5 years later still works...the phone is still exciting to use...the iphone 5s or 5c or 5 have nothing that i like about them...xcept for syncing and jailbreaking...samsung has been innovating beautifully guess what their next phone will take yer heartbeat...lol ill pay 600$ for that cuz its awesome...i wont pay 600$ for the same iphone just a bit faster nothing new...steve is missed ...remember the 7.1 freezing the iphone...its a 800 $ device with a 64 bit processor that freezes on a update come on people...leave the fan boyness aside and recognize...we want the iphone to take our heartbeat rate too ...cuz the iphone 5s is a 4s but a lil better n that sux

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I have used Apple products exclusively since 1982. They did not come out with fancy gadgets every year back then. They did however produce an excellent computer that has wowed me ever since. People just need to get over the "we need a new thing" every 6 months dream.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Someone remind me... When was the last time the Android front did anything "spectacular"? I have yet to see anything other than phones so obscenely large they are damn near unusable. Apple has been the first to bring something to the table, only to have Android manufacturers (Samsung) follow suit shortly after, then they are quickly labeled as "boring" and "unintuitive" while Android manufacturers (Samsung) are just waiting for Apple to release something for them to copy. But they don't get near as much hate for that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No one gives a **** about an iWatch. Didn't that get proven with Samsungs flop?

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    wearable tech is a gimmick, strap your iDevice to your wrist and see how it goes

Apple hasn't been innovative since the iPhone, when they reinvented the mobile phone; prove me wrong
    Have you heard of a little hardware called the iPad?? What has Tim Cook done for Apple in terms of hardware since he took over? Nothing but get richer!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrinfame View Post
    Consider...the facts ...apple has always wowed people...every year...there was a flagship feature ....a must have...up to the iphone 4s it was like that for me .... I paid 400$ for my 3gs when it came out....5 years later still works...the phone is still exciting to use...the iphone 5s or 5c or 5 have nothing that i like about them...xcept for syncing and jailbreaking...samsung has been innovating beautifully guess what their next phone will take yer heartbeat...lol ill pay 600$ for that cuz its awesome...i wont pay 600$ for the same iphone just a bit faster nothing new...steve is missed ...remember the 7.1 freezing the iphone...its a 800 $ device with a 64 bit processor that freezes on a update come on people...leave the fan boyness aside and recognize...we want the iphone to take our heartbeat rate too ...cuz the iphone 5s is a 4s but a lil better n that sux
    Apple have failed to wow me since iPhone 1...
    That is what this article is about, Apple failed to wow people = lack of innovation.
    Since iPhone 4 there is no more drive for me and many people I know to buy next Apple product.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12