+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Jabbed for Lack of Racial Diversity at the Top

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Jabbed for Lack of Racial Diversity at the Top

With very little racial diversity to be found among the top executive ranks at some of the world's largest tech companies, civil rights Rev. Jesse Jackson is drawing attention to this undeniable reality.

From Apple to Facebook, Rev. Jackson is calling out a number of prominent brands and challenging them to do more in a strongly-worded letter that went public today.

Calling for an increase in employment opportunities for minorities, Rev. Jackson observed that “technology is supposed to be about inclusion, but sadly, patterns of exclusion remains the order of the day.”

Around 1 in 14 workers in the US tech industry have a black or Latino background, despite making up 13.1 and 16.9 per cent of the total US population according to the most recent statistics, a discrepancy which has riled Jackson.
    Not all of the companies on Jackson's list understand the reason for such criticisms, however. HP executive vice president Henry Gomez is among the head-scratchers.

“While we certainly agree that diversity is an important issue in corporate America," Gomez says, "we're puzzled by Rev. Jackson's sudden interest in HP... Today, HP is the largest company in the world with both a female CEO and CFO, and nearly half of our leadership team and board of directors are women and minorities. Additionally, nearly 50 years ago, HP established the first minority business program in the United States."

Source: The Drum

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

DA_GHOST (03-19-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This kind of attempted reverse discrimination/affirmative action nonsense is more nonsensical than the new book about Apple. Back up a bit: before I throw too many stones, I wonder what percentage of tech and tech leadership are minorities...Anyhow, the idea that we should go out of our way to represent everyone out there is as bad as giving every kids an identical trophy. There is no question that race plays no part in how qualified and exceptional an individual can be-in any industry, but that doesn't mean there are equal parts of each group in each industry. Moreover, race plays no part in selecting the top candidates to take charge of a company, be it a CEO, CFO, CIO, or any other position. Dr. King's dream was that we would judge people by the content of their character, not the color of their skin; I may be taking some liberty, but I believe he would feel the same about corporate leadership.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rcworship For This Useful Post:

*T* (03-20-2014), ecofrankenstein (03-19-2014), King_O_Hill (03-19-2014), PokemonDesigner (03-19-2014)

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

And this is why there aren't many non-whites high up in big companies, they'd do stupid s*** like this.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PokemonDesigner For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-19-2014), Rcworship (03-19-2014)

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

This guy. I would think it is about who's more qualified than a race thing.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mlee19841 For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-19-2014), Rcworship (03-19-2014), studderman (03-19-2014)

Thanks

The guy who speaks highly of Castro and whose son went to jail for stealing $750K is telling other people what they need to do...

This guy has made millions doing this. Many companies "donate" to his org so he will go away - which may help him but it doesn't help minorities.

Interesting Jackson only mentions Blacks and Hispanics. I guess women, Asians, and Indians are out of luck. Actually it's many of the Asian and Indians that he wants to take jobs away from.

Why not ask the NBA why there aren't more Asians or Latinos there....they are way under represented.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Villebilly For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-19-2014), PokemonDesigner (03-19-2014), Rcworship (03-19-2014)

Thanks

"Around 1 in 14 workers in the US tech industry have a black or Latino background, despite making up 13.1 and 16.9 per cent of the total US population according to the most recent statistics, a discrepancy which has riled Jackson."
    Last edited by Simon; 03-19-2014 at 05:20 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tekwiz For This Useful Post:

Rcworship (03-19-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Thanks

No credit for having a gay man as CEO?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bigbaba For This Useful Post:

studderman (03-19-2014)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Just like back in the day when Jesse went after big companies like Coca-Cola and IBM. Jesse and his "Rainbow Coalition" demanded under-qualified blacks hold management positions solely based on race. They would blockade shipments and disrupt business until their "shakedown" got the companies to give in to their demands. History repeats now with Jesse going after the tech industry. He and the other "poverty-pimps" don't want to fix anything. They just want to scream and yell about it. If anything were to change, they wouldn't have a platform or soapbox to stand on. And they wouldn't be getting paid anymore to be mouthpieces.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firedog341 For This Useful Post:

*T* (03-20-2014), King_O_Hill (03-19-2014), Rcworship (03-19-2014)

Thanks

I like to listen to Jackson and Sharpton rant, good entertainment.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Perceptum For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-19-2014)

Thanks

Hmph, interesting.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    No credit for having a gay man as CEO?
    Cook has never openly admitted to being gay. He danced around the idea in a December 2013 interview, but other than that, there is nothing that positively confirms he is gay. He's a gay rights advocate, as you can see by his many interviews, but he has yet to outright admit he is gay.

Regarding this claim though, really? REALLY? It's like the Trayvon Martin case all over again (except this one isn't legal). If a black man had shot Trayvon, nobody would have raised an eyebrow. If it's a white/hispanic man though, there needs to be some huge controversy about it.

Have any of these idiots ever thought about the fact that Apple maybe hasn't found someone of another race that's suitable for the board? Why the hell would you jump to a conclusion like this? This is truly disgusting.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H4CK3R For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-19-2014), PokemonDesigner (03-19-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
    I like to listen to Jackson and Sharpton rant, good entertainment.
    Wait, wait...can you understand this guy?!😂

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Rcworship For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-19-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    Cook has never openly admitted to being gay. He danced around the idea in a December 2013 interview, but other than that, there is nothing that positively confirms he is gay. He's a gay rights advocate, as you can see by his many interviews, but he has yet to outright admit he is gay.

Regarding this claim though, really? REALLY? It's like the Trayvon Martin case all over again (except this one isn't legal). If a black man had shot Trayvon, nobody would have raised an eyebrow. If it's a white/hispanic man though, there needs to be some huge controversy about it.

Have any of these idiots ever thought about the fact that Apple maybe hasn't found someone of another race that's suitable for the board? Why the hell would you jump to a conclusion like this? This is truly disgusting.
    True he may not have openly stated his sexuality yet; but Out Magazine named him its most powerful gay or lesbian person of 2011...

Thanks

The tech community has always been made up of geeks/nerds/etc, the majority which are white, Asian, Indian.

I would love to have a top position at Apple, but even with technical experience in Marine Corps/ Air Force aviation, I know I'm not qualified for most, if any, top positions at a tech company, maybe a top position in HR. BUT, who cares, I'm a latino/hispanic, give me a position!!

JK.

And most black kids I see are more interested in basketball, Jordans, Beats by Dre, rap, and keeping it real.

Heck, I rarely see black ravers, Jesse Jackson, you should target ravers because they are way underrepresented in the rave scene!!
    No, jk. Don't.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-19-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abbaroc View Post
    You're crazy white kids are copying black kids way more than ever. Miley Cyrus has a song about Jordan's and basketball and diplo is bringing black music to the rave scene. Go away you Uncultured ignorant pos.

Some/a lot white kids may be copying black kids but they are a minority. Still doesn't change the fact that most black kids are not into tech, geeky stuff.

I love Diplodocus! Wesley Pentz has been bringing black music to the rave scene for years, but he's not bringing the black community to the rave scene like you're implying. Go to any music festival/massive/rave and you'll see that blacks are almost not there at all. Watch the documentary Electric Daisy Carnival Experience on Netflix, you'll see where they interview these black kids and they talk about how the black community are not into the scene and how they're missing out.

You're calling me an uncultured ignorant pos?? Please. I've been to 30 countries around the world, and have lived in/visited over half our states, particularly in the South. I think I know a thing or two about culture. Where have you been?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-19-2014)

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Jackson has to do something to take the heat off his theiving children!
    Give the guy a break! By diverting people's interest to a non-issue
    he prevents you from thinking about the real problems!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to thevmax For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-19-2014)

Thanks

Seriously we're worried about diversity among the rich in this country?

We've got SERIOUS problems in this country and this doesn't even make the top 1000 list.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exNavy For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (03-20-2014), King_O_Hill (03-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,101 Times in 6,940 Posts

Please keep it clean in here people. Forum Rules

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-19-2014)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rcworship View Post
    This kind of attempted reverse discrimination/affirmative action nonsense is more nonsensical than the new book about Apple. Back up a bit: before I throw too many stones, I wonder what percentage of tech and tech leadership are minorities...Anyhow, the idea that we should go out of our way to represent everyone out there is as bad as giving every kids an identical trophy. There is no question that race plays no part in how qualified and exceptional an individual can be-in any industry, but that doesn't mean there are equal parts of each group in each industry. Moreover, race plays no part in selecting the top candidates to take charge of a company, be it a CEO, CFO, CIO, or any other position. Dr. King's dream was that we would judge people by the content of their character, not the color of their skin; I may be taking some liberty, but I believe he would feel the same about corporate leadership.
    If your not of color you will never never understand. As much as you think you know.. You don't!!! Many black working in these companies are well over qualified but looked down upon because of their color. Color will always be an issue. Perfect example: Our President now the media doesn't even like calling him President Obama they rather say Mr. Obama!!!! Open your eyes folks tv will dump u down!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Please keep it clean in here people. Forum Rules
    My bad ignorant people just piss me off
    Last edited by Rondon360; 03-19-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks

It's interesting that he quotes the percent of the total population rather than the percent who graduate college or go into computer science.
    Jackson has never had to earn his way to a position, he has always used politics to get what he wants.

If he wanted to make a difference and help blacks EARN jobs, he would be going to minority schools and promoting computer science and education to the students and especially to the parents.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Villebilly For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-19-2014)