+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Amazon Raises Prime Membership as Apple TV Challenge Looms

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Amazon has confirmed that it is raising the annual membership price for Prime, the online retail giant's popular service for streaming video, borrowing books, and, of course, enjoying expedited free
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Amazon Raises Prime Membership as Apple TV Challenge Looms

Amazon has confirmed that it is raising the annual membership price for Prime, the online retail giant's popular service for streaming video, borrowing books, and, of course, enjoying expedited free shipping.

Gone are the days of a $79 annual fee. After nine years at that price level, the new subscription fee is $99. For student members, the price is $49.

For members with subscriptions set to renew after April 17th, the increased membership fee will be charged. Prime subscribers, if they haven't yet been notified by email about the price change, will receive an email shortly from Amazon.

Curiously, Amazon is making the price hike as rumors abound that it will soon launch a set-top box allowing Prime users to stream a host of available TV and movie content to their televisions. With more content than ever now available through Prime, the price hike seems logical and shouldn't be too difficult to stomach given Amazon's long history of not routinely raising membership prices.

Source: Amazon

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I don't see how this is good news and how it "shouldn't be too difficult to stomach". If anything they should be dropping the price considering the amount of competition.

Thanks

Yeah, not sure how raising a price on a service is supposed to please the consumer?? Market getting flooded with crap.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (03-13-2014)

Thanks

With on demand and netflix, I will be cancelling amazon prime now. With so many streaming services available, increasing membership is simply greed.

Thanks

$8.25 a month, what do you pay for netflix?

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

At $100 a year I'll certainly think twice before renewing next year. Their video service is mediocre and I don't order a huge amount from them.

But my guess is most people won't do a thing and just let auto renewal put another charge on their credit card.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

because....lets face it! which other online retailer comes even close to Amazon. Amazon doesn't really have any competition hence the premium price hike and also the same reason they increased their $25 minimum free shipping to $35. It's all about getting away with it.....if they can..why not!!!!!
    Last edited by swifty7; 03-13-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,856 Times in 884 Posts

If Amazon would have started to offer a monthly service of 9 bucks a month people would probably be all over in.

In reality 9 bucks a month is over 100 bucks in a year.

Simple. If you don't like it dont use it. I personally don't use the streaming aspect of Amazon prime but use free shipping quite often

I also believe some items are further discounted for prime members. (Could be wrong about this)

Either way. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    Last edited by subywrex; 03-13-2014 at 11:43 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

Rcworship (03-13-2014)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    There is actually a good article on why it is still a bargain

Amazon Prime Is Still the Best Deal in Tech

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    If Amazon would have started to offer a monthly service of 9 bucks a month people would probably be all over in.

In reality 9 bucks a month is over 100 bucks in a year.

Simple. If you don't like it dont use it. I personally don't use the streaming aspect of Amazon prime but use free shipping quite often

I also believe some items are further discounted for prime members. (Could be wrong about this)

Either way. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    +1

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I probably ordered 25+ items from Amazon last year - including most of my Christmas shopping. It was well worth it for what it saved me in 2 day shipping. It's especially good for me cause I order a lot of small items that would not qualify for free shipping.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Villebilly For This Useful Post:

ecofrankenstein (03-14-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Villebilly View Post
    I probably ordered 25+ items from Amazon last year - including most of my Christmas shopping. It was well worth it for what it saved me in 2 day shipping. It's especially good for me cause I order a lot of small items that would not qualify for free shipping.
    I agree that free shipping is amazing. And overnight for 4 bucks!!! And what's cool about amazon is they ship out using the fastest method. I have got packages on Saturday many times when it was projected to come on a Monday.

Prime is just awesome.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I had a small MacBook Pro repair come Friday. I ordered the battery and a SSHD and paid a modest $7.99 for next day shipping. They came around midday on Saturday and I called him to pick it up shortly thereafter. I tried prime before and found the video selection was sad. I recently got the student edition of prime, and just upgraded while the price is still $39.99. I'll try it out and see if it works out, but the shipping by itself should make it work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just got an email confirming that when my prime renews is July the rate is increasing from $79 to $99.
    My rate increases in July 2014. So check your renewal dates!

I shop on amazon a lot so I feel like the discounted prices I get probably even out the membership fee. I will probably still come out ahead but not sure. Its probably still worth it

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Stopped using prime ever since they started charging taxes. Prices aren't much different than retail stores. It's just not worth it anymore. I guess if you live in the middle of nowhere or have social anxiety and never leave the house it's a good deal.

My iPhone is a Part of Me oldskoolsk8r's Avatar
    Thanks

Canceling!

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by logodude View Post
    +1
    Quote an entire lengthy post then add your clever little +1 to it? Use the thanks button.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Quote an entire lengthy post then add your clever little +1 to it? Use the thanks button.
    Plus one is really a way to show you agree with someone. Which is not the same as thanking someone.

Beside. Why did that bother you enough to post about it? Lol