+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumor: Camera Coming to Apple TV

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
In what could be a clear indication of Apple's intention to bring FaceTime and other photo/video capturing capabilities to the Apple TV, a new string of reports suggest that the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Rumor: Camera Coming to Apple TV

In what could be a clear indication of Apple's intention to bring FaceTime and other photo/video capturing capabilities to the Apple TV, a new string of reports suggest that the next Apple TV refresh could bring a significant hardware change to Apple's small living room experiment that is no longer small.

A number of new job openings posted by the Cupertino, California-based company refer to camera support for Apple TV.

With prominent rivals like Amazon purportedly gearing up to challenge Apple TV with a set-top box of their own, the pressure is now on Apple to upgrade the hardware of its Apple TV ASAP. As MMi has habitually covered n recent months, Apple TV hasn't received a physical overhaul in two years - an eternity for Apple products.

The big question now is whether the Apple TV is getting a camera. Some suggest that the company's purchase of PrimeSense is a clear indicator that camera-driven motion controls are coming to an Apple device - potentially Apple TV - very soon.

According to some analysts' projections, sales of Apple TV units brought in an estimated $1 billion in revenue for Apple in 2013 alone.

Source: Apple (via AppleInsider)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i bet you if this is true, its why apple has purchased a large some of sapphire crystals for the lenses on this isight/facetime camera

Thanks

Funny to me. They keep updating this thing by making new pucks (hardware) we see incremental updates via software and no big changes since the first APTV. No games can be played, programming is all pay to watch for the most part...and all you can do on it you can do on all other streamers...minus iTunes content. Is it me or is this thing just not worth it? Its only $100 for a reason. With the camera..they will probably add another $50 at least. Just to perform facetime from my couch? hahaha..no thanks. My current APTV is sitting in my closet.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

As long as we get 1GB of RAM and A7 processor, I am game for whatever.
    I can definitely see Apple killing off the Mac Mini and beefing up the ATV4.
    Last edited by klouud; 03-12-2014 at 12:53 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

As long as it's some kind of add-on I don't actually have to buy I couldn't care less. I would be mad if it's included and bumps the price because I, and many other people, would not have any use for it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

FaceTime thru Apple tv

Banned
    Thanks

Ive got the ATV3 and hate that I cant jailbreak it. But if the ATV4 can use video chat with Skype that'll be the only reason I would buy it.
    The ATV3 is the only iDevice that cant be jailbroken and it looks like the jailbreak devs dont care as none of them are working on a jailbreak for it.