+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Roku Releases "Streaming Stick," a Thumb Drive-Sized Device Set to Take On the Apple TV

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Roku Releases "Streaming Stick," a Thumb Drive-Sized Device Set to Take On the Apple TV

The well-established streaming set-top box company, Roku, recently took the wraps off the latest version of the “Streaming Stick,” a thumb drive-size device aimed at the Apple TV and Google’s Chromecast streamers. The second-gen Streaming Stick delivers Roku’s usual assortment of over 1,200 channels and 31,000 movies, as well as casting of Netflix, YouTube and personal media from a smartphone or tablet, in up to 1080p resolutions. The thing that sets this device aside is that the unit acts and feels like a set-top streamer but is kept out of sight behind an HDTV’s panel.

Connecting via HDMI, the stick is similar to that of Google’s Chromecast, but with an on-screen interface and dedicated physical remote control. Since the device connects over HDMI, a USB power source is also needed. Roku includes a USB cable and wall adapter though users can connect the stick to their HDTV’s USB if it is equipped with one. The onboard communications suite supports the following Wi-Fi connections: 802.11 dual-band a/b/g/n with WEP, WPA, and WPA2.

Coming in at $50, the Streaming Stick is more expensive than Google’s offering but it does come with access to more content. When compared to the Apple TV, the Roku doesn’t have access to the iTunes Store meaning that users with large iTunes libraries may be better off with the Apple branded device equivalent, the Apple TV.

Those of you interested in ordering the Roku Streaming Stick can preorder it from the company’s website with an expected ship-by date sometime in April.

Source: Roku

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me The 8th Immortal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 450 Posts

Niiiiiiiiiiice (first)

Thanks

The Apple ecosystem is very comfortable. Once you are in...there is not much reason to get out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

Sage I (03-05-2014)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    The Apple ecosystem is very comfortable. Once you are in...there is not much reason to get out.
    Well I did get out, apple TV content is too expensive. I currently have several hundred movies on an external hard drive plugged into my Roku 3. Huge savings.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hogcia For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (03-05-2014)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

I encode all my DVDs and bluerays to mp4, add them to iTunes, and stream them over Apple TV. But this does look cool! I wish they had airplay.

I agree.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Is that a Blockbuster button on the remote?!?! I didn't even know they still had a streaming service....

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

An Opium Den is very comfortable. Once you are in...there is not much reason to get out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lohand View Post
    An Opium Den is very comfortable. Once you are in...there is not much reason to get out.
    Well... sometimes I have the feeling I can do crystal meth, but then I think, mmm... better not.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Well... sometimes I have the feeling I can do crystal meth, but then I think, mmm... better not.
    Hahha pitch perfect 😂👌

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Got mine in today. Actually not bad. Glad the Netflix app has profiles and also has the PS3 feature of playing next episode automatically.