+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pandora Confirms No Support on CarPlay but Apple "Continues to be a Valued Partner"

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Pandora Confirms No Support on CarPlay but Apple "Continues to be a Valued Partner"

It was confirmed by Pandora today that Apple’s newly released CarPlay feature does not integrate with Pandora’s music streaming service even though CarPlay offers support for iTunes Radio, Beats Radio, iHeartRadio, Spotify and other music services. According to MacRumors, although the CarPlay feature does not include integration with Pandora, Apple “continues to be a valued partner.” The company also suggested that it is continuing to explore opportunities to expand its presence within the car, hinting that it could be working towards integration with CarPlay in the future. The following was mentioned regarding the matter:

At this time, Pandora is not integrated with Apple CarPlay. As a first mover in the auto space, we continue to broaden our relationships with OEMs while also exploring other opportunities to expand our presence in the car. Apple has been and continues to be a valued partner.
    As of right now, it remains unclear why Apple chose to exclude Pandora from CarPlay while supporting other competing services from companies like Beats Music and Spotify, but it may be due to the similarities between iTunes Radio and Pandora’s own service. Both services are station-based, allowing users to create radio stations based on music genres, artists and specific songs, which are then used to play similar music, making Pandora a direct competitor for iTunes Radio.

In addition to mirroring iTunes Radio’s functionality, it’s also ranked as the most popular music app in the App Store, sitting at the top of the free app charts in that category and the number 22 free app overall. The services that are less popular from Spotify and Beats Music work differently than Pandora and iTunes Radio, allowing users to search for specific songs, while iHeartRadio acts more like a traditional radio station.

In its recent statement, Pandora was quick to point out that although it isn’t included in CarPlay, its service is already integrated with more than 130 different vehicle models and present on several aftermarket stereo devices. That being said, with CarPlay, iOS users with compatible cars will be able to utilize voice and touch commands, along with car controls, to access functions like Maps and various music apps, in addition to making phone calls and sending messages. CarPlay is set to debut next week in vehicles from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo. Apple has also made deals with other car companies for future integration including BMW, Ford, Honda, Nissan, Kia, Toyota and more.

Are you excited about the CarPlay functionality? Share your thoughts and comments below!

Source: Apple, MacRumors

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

Considering that the integration that Apple's now calling CarPlay has essentially been vaporware for about 2 years now, and I'm sure that Apple isn't integrating these other apps for free and is likely charging some sort of licensing fee for the capability, it might be Pandora being smart by waiting to see if it ceases to be vaporware and how widespread the adoption is by the various auto makers and furthermore consumers before committing into the platform. It might not be Apple's decision to exclude them at all.

Considering that touchscreen consoles in cars is generally a higher end feature, CarPlay doesn't excite me that much. It wouldn't make me spend an extra $10k-$20k to get a higher end "luxury" model of car. Even with the stereotype that Apple users are elitists with disposable cash... I can stomach an extra $7/mo to get a 5S instead of a 5C from TMobile, but I'm not going to stomach an extra $100+/mo on my car note just to get a model with CarPlay.