+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft to Reportedly Cut Windows Pricing by 70% to Compete with Apple and Google

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Microsoft to Reportedly Cut Windows Pricing by 70% to Compete with Apple and Google

As the mobile device market which is led by devices from Apple and Google continues to devour traditional PC market share, Microsoft is reportedly looking to lower Windows licensing fees in a bid to stop the hemorrhaging. Citing people who are familiar with the matter, Bloomberg reports Microsoft will slash Windows licensing fees by 70% for low-cost hardware and manufacturers in an attempt to regain market share lost to devices running iOS, Android and Chrome.

Under the new pricing scheme, OEMs will pay $15 to preinstall Windows 8.1 on devices that sell for less than $250.The fee is down from a traditional rate of $50 per device. Furthermore, Microsoft won’t impose restrictions on hardware size or form factor as long as the final product meets the required low retail price.

In addition to the lower fees, Microsoft is also said to be relaxing its licensing standards by allowing manufacturers using the cheaper rates to forego logo certification. The hardware compatibility is vetted by Microsoft and in addition, these sub-$250 products don’t have to be touch enabled.

The recently appointed Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella is said to be pushing for accelerated development and launch timeliness for new Windows devices. The rumored licensing price cuts may be part of that plan. The recent report follows rumors that Microsoft is “seriously considering” allowing Android apps to run on both the PC and mobile iterations of Windows. The move would allow the Windows maker to tap into Google’s share of the mobile device market.
    We’ll have to wait and see how the planned changes affect Microsoft.

Source: Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

you do what you can Microsoft!!!

Thanks

I don't know why computer manufactures don't work together a bit to build linux drivers and make a more user friendly version of linux and then just cut Microsoft out of the equation.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If someone makes a $250 windows tablet that can run 8.1 and has most functionality with android apps they will win the world.

Thanks

That's the problem, there are Zero useful apps in the windows 8 store- and as much as I despise droid, at least they got most of the great apps that are in iOS. A little chopped in functionality, but they are available, and for the same prices as the iOS versions.

The windows store apps are overrun with 10 dollar "VLC" players that don't work. There are none of the branded apps that we have for iOS and droid.

Thanks

Only reason MS is even still here is because of the strangle hold they had on computers from day one. There cash hoards are burning fast..wonder how long they can hang on without a successful new product. Its been years since i've seen one.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    I don't know why computer manufactures don't work together a bit to build linux drivers and make a more user friendly version of linux and then just cut Microsoft out of the equation.
    No one can make any money off of Linux drivers, plus no one would use Linux because 99.9% of people aren't smart enough or patient enough to learn how Linux works. You get what you pay for with computers. You pay low costs and your going to get a computer that only lasts a couple of years at top performance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    No one can make any money off of Linux drivers, plus no one would use Linux because 99.9% of people aren't smart enough or patient enough to learn how Linux works. You get what you pay for with computers. You pay low costs and your going to get a computer that only lasts a couple of years at top performance.
    You missed the point. It's not about making money off drivers it about not having to pay license fees to MS for Windows. Think about it, they would save $50 per machine sold. And like I said, build a Linux version that is easier for the average consumer.

Thanks

You missed the point. It's not about making money off drivers it about not having to pay license fees to MS for Windows. Think about it, they would save $50 per machine sold. And like I said, build a Linux version that is easier for the average consumer.
    You're missing the point, the average or even above average users wouldn't buy a Linux machine. Sales would be terrible and no one would make money. No one wants to use a cmd line anymore. People want to use a product that they can get support for and no one is going to support Linux because there is so many different variations.

Thanks

You're missing the point, the average or even above average users wouldn't buy a Linux machine. Sales would be terrible and no one would make money. No one wants to use a cmd line anymore. People want to use a product that they can get support for and no one is going to support Linux because there is so many different variations.
    That's why the OEMs make a version that they unanimously support. Make it user friendly. I don't remember using the command line when I played around with Ubuntu. A few OEMs already have Linux offerings.

Green Apple
    Thanks

No need to cut prices to compete with IOS, as Windows 8 is in a much higher league!

Thanks

They better lower the price for the installation discs. $200 is insane.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

Rcworship (02-24-2014)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 667 Posts

MS needs to do something! I won't use windows 8! One of the reasons why my new computer(Hackintosh) is running OSX and not Windows. Plus being FREE lol

Thanks

UNIX is no more difficult to use than DOS, buddy. People won't be patient enough to "learn Linux" until they have to because people have lives and children and families and jobs to attend to. All of these are a million times more important than "learning Linux."

And y'know what? It really cracks me up hearing nerds complaining that people aren't "patient" or "smart" enough to learn something that they like to do when these nerds can't seem to learn how to think critically even about their own little complaints. Now THAT is a thing people should learn how to do (thinking critically).

Noob.

That's why the OEMs make a version that they unanimously support. Make it user friendly. I don't remember using the command line when I played around with Ubuntu. A few OEMs already have Linux offerings.
    No, dude. Nobody is going to do that. Corporations exist to make money. If they see a demand and they have the means to supply it for a profit, they're going to supply it.

On top of that, think of how silly this sounds. There are a million software companies out there making software designed only for Windows. You don't think they'll have any say in this? And this isn't just gaming software or some ********. This is eDiscovery, anything running MSSQL, you name it. I work in the industry. This is a silly idea for more than the reasons on the surface.

Not every user is a kid doing some ******** on their computers. In fact, I'd say at least most desktop computers are used for business. Do you really think our market-centric culture is going to drop Windows and completely change their business models because OEMs said so, or will a new OEM pop up and say, "Hi. I have a product that I know you like."? Or, even better, the businesses might even start manufacturing their own.

Jesus, I could go on and on with how silly this idea is. No offense to you, but come on now.
    Last edited by Christophxr; 02-24-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    UNIX is no more difficult to use than DOS, buddy. People won't be patient enough to "learn Linux" until they have to because people have lives and children and families and jobs to attend to. All of these are a million times more important than "learning Linux."
    Who used dos anymore? If you ask around, majority of the population would have no idea what dos is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    Jesus, I could go on and on with how silly this idea is. No offense to you, but come on now.
    Dude clam down. It was just a thought and as true with all businesses if you cut out the middle man, Microsoft, then you increase profit.

Thanks

Three points to make in response this:

1. MS make an easy to use product that installs easily on everything from cheap hardware right through to high end. It's well supported and frankly windows 8.1 isn't bad. Granted I don't use the App Store and I boot into desktop and ignore metro interface altogether as it's **** on a non touch screen.

2. Apple make a high quality OS that only installs on their expensive hardware. Not everyone can shell out ££££s for a MBP / iMac etc. They make premium quality products that are a joy to use but they're costly as you can only run it on apple hardware. They are also very well supported, but apple tend to limit what YOU can do with YOUR hardware. ( iOS being the prime example)

3. Linux recently is much more user friendly than previously and runs on diverse hardware however it's support base and software base is much more limited that either apple or MS. It can also be fairly complicated in aspects of software installation and picking a distro can be complicated for the beginner and as someone else said not everyone can be bothered to learn it in detail.

Those all said each OS will have its advantages and disadvantages and it's up to the user to decide. I personally use windows mainly. If apple were to allow installation of osx on non apple hardware without hacked kexts / hackintosh would probably consider it as my main OS. Linux I don't bother with.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

Ubuntu doesn't need to be used in a command line. Ubuntu usually works fine once it installs on your computer so you don't have to go hunting around for drivers like you have to do for a clean install of Windows. Also, most common programs are available in software center and for those that aren't, the command line command is just "sudo apt-get" to install a program so it's still pretty straightforward. Many Linux distros aren't harder than Windows or Mac, they are different and once you learn the basics, it's easy to use.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim J For This Useful Post:

slim.jim (02-25-2014)