+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Phone Storage Compared, Apple's iPhone 5C Comes Out on Top, Galaxy S4 Ends Up Last

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Although many smartphones advertise 16 GB of capacity, none of them actually offer that much storage to the end user. Apple’s iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S offer among the most
    Thanks

Default Phone Storage Compared, Apple's iPhone 5C Comes Out on Top, Galaxy S4 Ends Up Last

Although many smartphones advertise 16 GB of capacity, none of them actually offer that much storage to the end user. Apple’s iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S offer among the most advertised space out of the box while Samsung’s Galaxy S4 comes in last place. Among the 16 GB smartphones, Apple’s iPhone 5C ranks first among available storage with 12.6 GB or 79% of its advertised space according to the blog, Which. Not far behind in third place is the flagship iPhone 5S which ships with 12.2 GB of capacity available, representing 76% of the advertised capacity. Sandwiched between those two is the second-place Google Nexus 5, sporting 12.28 GB of space, reflecting 77% of its 16 GB of storage.

Coming in dead last in the analysis conducted by Which is the Samsung Galaxy S4, which has just 54% or 8.56 GB of its advertised space. It’s speculated that this capacity is limited by the amount of customized software Samsung includes on the handset, including its Android skin “TouchWiz” and features such as eye tracking. On benefit that the Galaxy S4 has over Apple’s iPhone lineup and even Google’s Nexus handset is the inclusion of an available microSD card slot. Galaxy Users can buy their own card and insert it into the handset, boosting available storage by up to 64 GBs, while iPhone and Nexus 5 owners must stick with their original built-in storage.

However, Google seems to have taken steps with the Android operating system to restrict usage of external storage, likely in an effort to ensure handset performance is not slowed. As a result, Android applications cannot be installed to external storage and any inserted memory card can only be used to host media files and documents. This means Galaxy S4 owners are only left with 8.56 GBs to install applications, more than 4 GBs less than are available out of the box on Apple’s mid-range iPhone 5C.

The analysis isn’t the first time Samsung has been called out for offering limited space, though it is one of the first tests to include Apple’s latest iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C models. Last year, when Samsung was taken to task over Galaxy S4 storage, the company responded by advising users to buy a microSD card.

Samsung said the following in a statement regarding the matter:

For the Galaxy S4 16GB model, approximately 6.85GB occupies [the] system part of internal memory, which is 1GB bigger than that of the Galaxy S3, in order to provide [a] high resolution display and more powerful features to our consumers.
    Source: Gottabemobile, Which (blog)
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 01-23-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

C'mon samsung. There is really no excuse for this. I didn't know that so much space was took up on a s4 like that. That's crazy man. I mean the sd slot is great but if it's just for media then I mean crap cmon. Now if an iPhone had a sd slot that would be awesome.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 711 Posts

This comparison fails, Samsungs has a microSD slot to add more memory, where Apple fails to offer anymore storage option.

Micro SD cards aren't that exspensive either
    Last edited by dsg; 01-23-2014 at 01:39 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

*T* (01-23-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

DSG, maybe you didn't see where you can't put apps on the SD card.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Villebilly For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (01-23-2014), Feanor64 (01-23-2014), HovikGas (01-23-2014), stolenpentium (01-23-2014)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    This comparison fails, Samsungs has a microSD slot to add more memory, where Apple fails to offer anymore storage option.

Micro SD cards aren't that exspensive either
    Did you read the article?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Total rubbish, I can get far more music and movie tracks on my samsung galaxy 16gb with a 32gb memory card installed than on a 16gb iphone. There is no options on any iphone to increase the storage capability, that's the main problem with them. I can add 16 Gb to my galaxy S4 for about 10, to get that in an iphone would cost 8 times that!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Albut For This Useful Post:

dsg (01-23-2014)

dsg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Villebilly View Post
    DSG, maybe you didn't see where you can't put apps on the SD card.
    really oh no, this must be wrong then:

Moving apps to the SD card on the Samsung Galaxy S4 | Android Central

and this

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galax...ndsets-1346369

notice the dates of the articles

Edit: I hate Android, but at least we should get the facts right
    Last edited by dsg; 01-23-2014 at 03:29 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

*T* (01-23-2014), se23 (01-23-2014)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

While Android apps can not be directly installed to the SD card at the moment, you can definitely move most (not all) apps to the SD card and yes, this is even on the S4 as that is the phone that I use.

I see that others have beat me to it.....yes, Apps can definitely be put on the SD card, I just wish that I could say I wanted them installed to there by default.
    Last edited by cmwade77; 01-23-2014 at 03:38 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cmwade77 For This Useful Post:

dsg (01-23-2014)

Thanks

Yes agreed with most people here that keep up to date. You can move apps to sd card! Even on some of the older tabs have been updated to include this option.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to se23 For This Useful Post:

dsg (01-23-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone sirbebe's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes you can move them but it must still leave a portion of the file on the phone it's self if I'm not mistaken.
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yawn. Usual samsung fanboy v apple fanboy debate. From an objective POV apple products are fantastic. Samsung are good but feel cheap compared. It's like MacBook v notebook. More expensive but MacBook wins hands down. And i own both....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    Yawn. Usual samsung fanboy v apple fanboy debate. From an objective POV apple products are fantastic. Samsung are good but feel cheap compared. It's like MacBook v notebook. More expensive but MacBook wins hands down. And i own both....
    Macbook wins based on what? Its just your opinion, Mine is my HP dm4 wins hands down.

As far S4 show me which Iphone you can add additional memory up to 64gb and do it multiple times switching cards?

Iphone lacks some nice features

yet I own 3 Iphones plus 3 more in my family

Thanks

The way samsung sets the external sd card is awful. On my Galaxy Note, there is a "SdCard" (which is not, it is just the internal memory) and an "External SdCard" (true one, 64GB). The external one is only good to put media (which is nice to have) but I am constantly running out of space out of the 16GB (really only 9-10 were available) internal SdCard. Samsung s*cks.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Apple 1 Samsung 0 keep up the good work Apple

dsg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    The way samsung sets the external sd card is awful. On my Galaxy Note, there is a "SdCard" (which is not, it is just the internal memory) and an "External SdCard" (true one, 64GB). The external one is only good to put media (which is nice to have) but I am constantly running out of space out of the 16GB (really only 9-10 were available) internal SdCard. Samsung s*cks.
    you can move apps to your real SD card look at my post further backup the page. the two links I posted show you how.

Also it's not as if you need to keep the bloatware
    Last edited by dsg; 01-23-2014 at 10:28 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

Thanks

Would love to see a card slot on the iPhones... even if it was only for storing only music & photos on the card. Would help me clear almost 5 GB of my data. And I'm sure a lil performance can be traded off in the 'Photos' & 'Music' app...
    But no... Apple is blinded by earning higher profits... introducing a card slot would render their higher capacity iPhones useless. While I love apple products... Apple has been steadily going downhill after they lost Jobs. Tim Cook is an idiot when it comes to being a visionary... inventing something that no one has seen before! On another note... RIP iPhone 5C.. Mr. Cook & the 5C should both be in the same grave!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

While sometimes I think it would be nice to have an expansion slot on my iPhone, I have to agree with Apple...I wouldn't ever want to rely on an SD card. I'd rather have built in memory. Nice that they're letting you move apps over to the SD now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    While sometimes I think it would be nice to have an expansion slot on my iPhone, I have to agree with Apple...I wouldn't ever want to rely on an SD card. I'd rather have built in memory. Nice that they're letting you move apps over to the SD now.
    Why? I could use sd for music, vids and biggest hog, PICTURES as Apple Ads say a lot of pictures taken by Iphone

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    This is apparently an Android thing. When it moved to 4.0 Google got rid of the use of Micro Sd cards so the Sd Card become the internal memory.

Since Samsung play by their own rule book they had to change the system up so the inclusion of an ExSd card was needed and this is obviously where the micro sd card is. Moving apps to the ExSd card has only been included in the S4 and Note 3 but, i think, will be included in other Samsung products that get the 4.3 update, so the S3 and Note 2. If i remember correctly i dont think the original Note is getting the 4.3 update but i could be wrong,

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
    Why? I could use sd for music, vids and biggest hog, PICTURES as Apple Ads say a lot of pictures taken by Iphone
    I know that all those things take up a lot of space, which is why I'll never buy an iPhone with less than 32GB of storage. If it were up to me I wouldn't even have 8GB and 16GB models available (maybe 16GB for people who just want a phone to call and text). Just like I never rely on the HDD in my MBP (I always have a backup drive), I wouldn't want to rely on an SD card in case it decides to stop working or breaks.