+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton Pushing for a Kill Switch for Stolen Devices

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton Pushing for a Kill Switch for Stolen Devices

Crime involving smartphone theft has become an epidemic, especially in places such as New York City where the crime rate went up for the first time in twenty years thanks to thieves looking to steal an iOS device. As a response to the iOS device crimewave, Apple has added significant improvements to iOS 7 including a new Activation Lock feature, but according to the New York Police Department’s new commissioner, Bill Bratton, this isn’t enough. Bratton claims to be sure that Apple and other US Smartphone manufacturers are in cahoots with insurance companies to make a fortune by not installing a kill switch within their devices and/or platforms.

While speaking at a symposium on community policing, Commissioner Bratton said he’s joining the efforts of NY Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón to pressure Apple and other mobile device makers to install a kill switch for stolen devices. According to him, it would be easy for OEMs to make the kill switch and that Samsung already proposed making it standard on its phones but American manufacturers such as Apple are resistant to the idea. He stated the following regarding the matter:

They don’t want to do it because they are basically working in cahoots with the insurance companies and they’re making a fortune off it… We are responding to a problem they can prevent. They have the capability to effectively make these phones useless.
    The activation lock feature in iOS 7 gives users the option to disable lost or stolen iPhones remotely, rendering the device useless without the owner’s iCloud password or PIN, which sounds like a user-controlled kill switch. San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón was pretty content with the feature as well. Other smartphone makers have yet to release such a feature so perhaps Bratton’s focus is a bit misdirected. We’ll have to wait and see what step is taken next to help resolve the bigger issue at hand here.

Source: EpochTimes

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

If there is a kill switch, I want full control over it. I don't want a device manufacture to decide that I should no longer be allowed to use a device that I paid for and issuing a kill command to it.

Bottom line is Apple's setup is a kill switch, plan and simple. That being said, I really don't think enforcing the laws is the responsibility of the manufacturer. Enforcing laws is the responsibility of the police.

Thanks

It's called an IMEI number. Have it blacklisted and the device can't be activated.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Who cares, thieves will simply sell the phones for parts. They will still make plenty of money that way.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Who cares, thieves will simply sell the phones for parts. They will still make plenty of money that way.
    Yep...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    If there is a kill switch, I want full control over it. I don't want a device manufacture to decide that I should no longer be allowed to use a device that I paid for and issuing a kill command to it.

Bottom line is Apple's setup is a kill switch, plan and simple. That being said, I really don't think enforcing the laws is the responsibility of the manufacturer. Enforcing laws is the responsibility of the police.
    What kind of government would we have if they always did their job?

Thanks

Just ask the thieves nicely and maybe they will give the phones back

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 713 Posts

NO! do your job, it's what your paid for

Edit: he looks like he's part of the mob
    Last edited by dsg; 01-17-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (01-17-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin6006 View Post
    What kind of government would we have if they always did their job?
    a government unlike any other private or public organization on earth.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I wonder why he thinks iOS 7's activation lock isn't enough?

Some devs are getting pestered with requests for an activation lock by-pass. iH8sn0w has joked that he needs more stolen devices to test it on! ;-) That - and the fact that the prices of activation-locked iDevices are plummeting on eBay, would seem to suggest it's working pretty well. Kudos to Apple.

Thanks

The Pin Lock feature definitely does what it supposed to do. Its not up to Apple to control crime. Police should thank them for giving them something to do :] On a serious note, I don't want anyone being able to kill my phone but me. If my phone gets stolen, why do i care if someone can use it..I CAN'T! Controlling what happens to your phone after you don't have it...once again who cares. You're still going to go buy another one. At the same time, Obama can turn off the internet anytime he wants to, Interpole can investigate you without supervision or consequence...I hope you all know that the day when they decide to put into effect a kill switch is right around the corner...natural progression.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    What if the "kill switch" burns no, fry hardware components as well? There would be no valuable parts to sell.
    Last edited by Lohand; 01-18-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohand View Post
    What if the "kill switch" burns hardware components as well? There would be no valuable parts to sell.
    They should have a Mission Impossible like self destruct option programmed into Find iPhone. I can see the posts now.
    "Help! I accidentally hit self destruct and now my iPhone is on fire. What do I do "

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Selling it for parts doesn't work as well since the value decreases as a result of the labor involved in stripping the parts and reselling them, which at a kiosk won't net much in service cost for the seller.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lohand View Post
    What if the "kill switch" burns no, fry hardware components as well? There would be no valuable parts to sell.
    then they will turn it off .

Thanks

IMEI Only works in the country the phone is registered stolen in, so they can take the phone to another country and it will work.

Green Apple
    Thanks

NYC politicians need to keep out of trying to intrude on other peoples business!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MrLingerLonger For This Useful Post:

WHUDS (01-19-2014)

Thanks

idiotic Idea, it can be misused and its just a phone, Why just Iphone? how about Android? I really think these officials need to work on more important issues like the healthcare mess

Quote Originally Posted by MrLingerLonger View Post
    NYC politicians need to keep out of trying to intrude on other peoples business!
    Whats next? 1 big mac a day? You can only eat fast food 10 meals a week or something? Cali : must be 2 people in a car to drive it…This Big Brother, officials know best crap is getting worse!
    Last edited by WHUDS; 01-19-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks
    I think Apple's Activation Lock feature is the best answer to all the stolen phone problem. All manufacturer should implement it period. But with just one added extra will be even better which is: to electronically locking/disabling all major valuable components so everyone knows it's really "Bricked" forever and only good for a doorstop. There's a good Apple! 😄

Thanks
    Default Insurance Companies?
    The commisioner should stick to what he knows, (crime fighting, hopefully?)I don't think that anyone is claiming a stolen iPhone on their insurance. The deductible is more than the cost of the iPhone. The only ones profiting from stolen iDevices are the thief and Apple.
    "Where are we going and why am I in this handbag?"