+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jobs Biographer Hints That Tim Cook's Role May Be Threatened

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Jobs Biographer Hints That Tim Cook's Role May Be Threatened

If the opinion of famed Steve Jobs biographer Walter Isaacson carries any weight, his words in a new interview with CNBC this week should come as a warning to current Apple CEO Tim Cook.

According to Isaacson, Cook's tenure as Apple CEO could be threatened unless big moves are made. In the same statements, Isaacson called Google the greatest innovator in the world, a title it rightfully claimed from Apple.

Cook has to think about what industry he wants to disrupt next, Isaacson said.

"I think Steve Jobs would have wanted as the next disruptive thing to either have wearable-like watches or TV, an easy TV that you can walk into the room and say put on 'Squawk Box' or disrupt the digital camera industry or disrupt textbooks... We ought to see in 2014, Apple do something huge," Isaacson expressed.

While acknowledging the China Mobile partnership is a "big deal" for Apple, he said Google-Nest exemplifies the "amazingly strong integrated strategy that Google has to connect all of our devices, all of our lives, from our car, to our navigation system, to how our garage doors are going to open."
    In the same interview, Isaacson claimed that Apple shareholders have much to consider when they next convene.

"In the late February shareholders meeting," he says, "they probably have to start thinking about who should be on the board next. This board is all Steve Jobs' people. They aren't exactly the Tim Cook fan club."

Source: CNBC

Green Apple
    Thanks

If he had said "Steve Jobs told me", this might be news. However, unless Steve told him specifically that he thought Apple needed to release a wearable device or a TV, I don't think it's exactly news what one man thinks Steve Jobs might have thought Apple should do if he were still alive.

And, didn't Apple already disrupt the digital camera industry (iPhone photography is huge, some newspapers have even gotten rid of their photography staff in favor of reporters with iPhones!) and textbooks (LA schools just purchased a boatload of iPads)?

Finally, what exactly has Google innovated lately? They release a ton of half baked experiments, shut them down to the dismay of users that enjoy them, and seem to have no real follow through except on Android, which they cobbled together by stealing the intellectual property of so many others as evidenced by their continual losses in court to Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, and others. That's not to say Google doesn't have some great products that they do well - Google Search and GMail are great - but I think calling them more innovative than Apple is a stretch. I mean, has this guy seen the new Mac Pro?

Thanks

I think the the Steve Jobs book went to his head. Agreed, what exactly has Google done? What exactly has Samsung done? Nothing but copy Apple. If they are not copying then they are listening for the buzz about what Apple may do next, then they try in vain to be the "next best thing" We've seen it since 2007. To be repeated :]

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I think the the Steve Jobs book went to his head. Agreed, what exactly has Google done? What exactly has Samsung done? Nothing but copy Apple. If they are not copying then they are listening for the buzz about what Apple may do next, then they try in vain to be the "next best thing" We've seen it since 2007. To be repeated :]
    Holy crap dude, give Google and Samsung some credit. They have done an excellent job and so had apple. Stop being a fanboy and just be a tech fan in general. Hell I like apple, google, and Samsung. More companies equal more tech stuff I get a tinker with.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockyseay For This Useful Post:

Anthonerz (01-16-2014), hemptation (01-17-2014), LittleGod (01-17-2014)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually, when it comes to innovation I can't think of ONE thing that Tim Cook has done.

Green Apple
    Thanks

We want ive!!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spectrum For This Useful Post:

Aenima133 (01-17-2014), hemptation (01-17-2014)

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,768 Times in 707 Posts

I don't feel wearable devices are a good thing, instant people tracking; it's going to be like were under world arrest

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

Feanor64 (01-16-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Actually, when it comes to innovation I can't think of ONE thing that Tim Cook has done.
    Well in between him and Jony Ive, they managed to ruin iOS 7. Other than that, basically nothing.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Steve Jobs put Tim Cook in charge. Losing faith in his tenure means losing faith in Jobs' ability to discern quality leadership, and I'm not ready to concede that. Besides, even under Jobs's tenure, Apple wasn't annually reinventing a new industry. That just isn't realistic.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Can you be a bigger fanboy? You do know the world would continue to move forward if Apple was to go under right?

Let's see what Google has done: greatest search engine, Google Maps, street view (heck, even allows you to see underwater), Gmail, Google Now (which is a ton better than Siri), Google Glass, self driving car, if it goes with Nest the way people do then the ability to go "Ok Google, set my temperature to 75", Google Chrome, Google Fiber, etc etc.

Samsung created the Phablet category. Some people might not like it, but it's selling surprisingly well. And I pray that Apple comes out with a phone similar in size, just so I can rub it in all the fanboys faces, as if I was seasoning meat. Everybody copies, it's called innovating. You take something that is out today and find out how to make it better. Welcome to technology! Just like Apple came out with the iPad mini. They saw how well the smaller tablets are selling.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gehjl View Post
    Can you be a bigger fanboy? You do know the world would continue to move forward if Apple was to go under right?

Let's see what Google has done: greatest search engine, Google Maps, street view (heck, even allows you to see underwater), Gmail, Google Now (which is a ton better than Siri), Google Glass, self driving car, if it goes with Nest the way people do then the ability to go "Ok Google, set my temperature to 75", Google Chrome, Google Fiber, etc etc.

Samsung created the Phablet category. Some people might not like it, but it's selling surprisingly well. And I pray that Apple comes out with a phone similar in size, just so I can rub it in all the fanboys faces, as if I was seasoning meat. Everybody copies, it's called innovating. You take something that is out today and find out how to make it better. Welcome to technology! Just like Apple came out with the iPad mini. They saw how well the smaller tablets are selling.
    I'm a technician and one loyal Apple fan and I agree with you.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Thanks

Apple are way behind the competition , the so called retina screen is way behind other companies ( htc one has over 100 pixels more than the iphone 5s ) apple need a new product but not a tv or watch but something new like the ipad and iphone were , just making a more expensive tv or watch wont be a seller. , maybe for the die hard apple fans , but for the everyday user not , tv tech changes so quickly and as apple do not make any screens themselfs it will be a new tv one day out of date the next , as for tim cook the quicker hes gone the better , hes a moaning twat , better someone with vision like jony ive than cook as without jony apple would not be here today in its current format