+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: U.S. Mac Sales Jump as Shrinking PC Market Further Retreats

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Mac sales gained significantly in the homestretch of 2013 at the expense of the already-shrinking PC market. According to data published Thursday by Gartner, worldwide PC shipments totaled 82.6 million
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default U.S. Mac Sales Jump as Shrinking PC Market Further Retreats

Mac sales gained significantly in the homestretch of 2013 at the expense of the already-shrinking PC market.

According to data published Thursday by Gartner, worldwide PC shipments totaled 82.6 million units in Q4 of 2013, a 6.9 percent decline from the fourth quarter of 2012.

The same preliminary results point to the seventh consecutive quarter of shipment declines. For Apple, however, it was a different story. Domestic Mac sales jumped a staggering 28.5%, which confirms that Apple's computing empire is still eroding the fast-shrinking traditional PC market.

"Although PC shipments continued to decline in the worldwide market in the fourth quarter, we increasingly believe markets, such as the U.S., have bottomed out as the adjustment to the installed base slows," said Mikako Kitagawa, principal analyst at Gartner.

Strong growth in tablets continued to negatively impact PC growth in emerging markets, was the conclusion reached in today's report. Gartner added that in emerging markets, the first connected device for consumers is most likely a smartphone, and their first computing device is a tablet.

As a result, the adoption of PCs in emerging markets will be slower as consumers skip PCs for tablets.
    To review the full results from Gartner, click here.

Source: Gartner

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Oh get over yourself! PC sales aren't declining because of Mac....they are declining because of alternatives such as more powerful smartphones as well as tablets. People are opting for these smaller more portable devices over bulky laptops and desktops. So while Mac sales may have jumped and had a spike to finish off the fiscal year for Apple.....their overall sales for the year have still declined when compared to the previous year. So BOTH Mac and PCs are being affected by the new era of smartphones and tablets.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Oh get over yourself! PC sales aren't declining because of Mac....they are declining because of alternatives such as more powerful smartphones as well as tablets. People are opting for these smaller more portable devices over bulky laptops and desktops. So while Mac sales may have jumped and had a spike to finish off the fiscal year for Apple.....their overall sales for the year have still declined when compared to the previous year. So BOTH Mac and PCs are being affected by the new era of smartphones and tablets.
    Oh, get over yourself. What you're saying is common knowledge, and the article doesn't contradict your observation.

So BOTH Mac and PCs are being affected by the new era of smartphones and tablets.
    Why don't you go write an article about this instead of vomiting all over the discussion forum. You're right in your assessment, it just has no practical value in terms of relevance to this article.

I'm glad consumers are finally getting the diversity and choices that were long overdue.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well... I bought a mac because of bootcamp. Security of a mac, multi-tasking of a PC.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default You need to get over yourself
    According to the second table from the source, Apple's PC shipment not only increased in terms of shares but also in terms of numbers (1,687,881 in 4Q12 to 2,168,212 in 4Q13). That obviously includes Desktop and Mobile computers and EXCLUDES tablets.

You are very wrong

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fimeg View Post
    Oh, get over yourself. What you're saying is common knowledge, and the article doesn't contradict your observation.

Why don't you go write an article about this instead of vomiting all over the discussion forum. You're right in your assessment, it just has no practical value in terms of relevance to this article.

I'm glad consumers are finally getting the diversity and choices that were long overdue.
    I'll "vomit" over whatever I choose because like you said this is a discussion forum. And I am simply refuting what has been presented because it is not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrefresco View Post
    According to the second table from the source, Apple's PC shipment not only increased in terms of shares but also in terms of numbers (1,687,881 in 4Q12 to 2,168,212 in 4Q13). That obviously includes Desktop and Mobile computers and EXCLUDES tablets.

You are very wrong
    Right. For the QUARTER. But for the year BOTH are down in sales when compared to 2012. So try again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RICO_ For This Useful Post:

Feanor64 (01-10-2014)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll "vomit" over whatever I choose because like you said this is a discussion forum. And I am simply refuting what has been presented because it is not accurate.

Right. For the QUARTER. But for the year BOTH are down in sales when compared to 2012. So try again.
    Lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    And your reference?