+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Corning Announces Production Readiness for 3D Gorilla Glass, Seeks to Target Wearables

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Corning Announces Production Readiness for 3D Gorilla Glass, Seeks to Target Wearables

The glass manufacturing giant, Corning, recently announced production readiness for a new 3D-forming method that can be applied to the company’s widely-used Gorilla Glass, suggesting that the firm is prepping an entry into the curved display market. Although the practicality of curved displays remains debatable, the technology is seemingly progressing, with OEMs like LG and Samsung introducing niche products boasting bowed form factors. Corning is now about to entry the fray with its own 3D Gorilla Glass Solution, perhaps paving the way for uniquely-shaped handsets and wearable computing devices.

Corning is working on a vertically integrated operation with Taiwan-based G-Tech Optoelectronics Corp, which would allow fast and economical production of the specialized glass. Corning Special Materials’ Senior Vice President and General Manager, James R. Steiner, had the following to say regarding the matter:

We can now take Gorilla Glass all the way from flat sheet to a finished 3D-shaped product in Asia, expediting turnaround times and minimizing logistical complexity.
    As a long-time Apple partner manufacturer, Corning’s tough Gorilla Glass products have helped electronics makers create thin and light devices with all-glass fronts, such as the iPhone and iPad. With the new 3D-foming technology, Corning is looking to take its strong substrates to completely new applications. One specific area Corning has been eyeing is wearable or so-called “smart watches,” which need to be thin, light and resilient. A 3D-glass superstructure that can curve around a user’s wrist could be an example application.

Although no specific date has been set for the first commercial release to use Corning’s new technology, the company is targeting a 2014 launch. We’ll have to see if Apple or any other tech giant’s take advantage of the new technology.

Source: Corning

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Apple/Corning/ needs to develop unbreakable glass for all idevices. Gorilla glass is fragile and an old school glass tech to boot. Now we have curved gorilla glass that can still break easily when knocked or dropped...wow. iPhones and iPads alike are a shoddy design due to their fragility and weak glass: they are not strong enough. Why must they be fragile? They are meant to be portable, not sacred. To have to treat a portable, highly used, yet expensive device with kid gloves because the manufacturers want it to look 'sleek' is ludicrous.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleGod For This Useful Post:

Nightwarrior305 (01-04-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGod View Post
    Apple/Corning/ needs to develop unbreakable glass for all idevices. Gorilla glass is fragile and an old school glass tech to boot. Now we have curved gorilla glass that can still break easily when knocked or dropped...wow. iPhones and iPads alike are a shoddy design due to their fragility and weak glass: they are not strong enough. Why must they be fragile? They are meant to be portable, not sacred. To have to treat a portable, highly used, yet expensive device with kid gloves because the manufacturers want it to look 'sleek' is ludicrous.
    It's not that simple. Glass (Gorilla or otherwise) can either be difficult to break or difficult to scratch, but not both. Gorilla glass is very hard which makes it difficult to scratch. For a device with a screen that's being manipulated constantly, that makes sense. Unfortunately, this means that strength may be sacrificed. Gorilla glass tries to bridge that gap and I've seen the tests comparing Gorilla Glass with other forms of glass and it withstands hits very well. Of course things could be better, but there's no conspiracy here. They're not holding onto the good stuff. It's just a difficult thing to make. Give it a shot yourself and let me know how it works out for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    It's not that simple. Glass (Gorilla or otherwise) can either be difficult to break or difficult to scratch, but not both. Gorilla glass is very hard which makes it difficult to scratch. For a device with a screen that's being manipulated constantly, that makes sense. Unfortunately, this means that strength may be sacrificed. Gorilla glass tries to bridge that gap and I've seen the tests comparing Gorilla Glass with other forms of glass and it withstands hits very well. Of course things could be better, but there's no conspiracy here. They're not holding onto the good stuff. It's just a difficult thing to make. Give it a shot yourself and let me know how it works out for you.
    I use a Griffin case because I understand that my iPhone is unprotected upon arrival, like a newborn baby. Unbreakable can't be that hard, an LG Flex costs about $800. As far as 'giving it a shot' myself, no need to condescend. I've built things you could only dream about, using a more varied material palette than you've had hot dinners. I betcha.🔧

Thanks

I agree. The original poster has also forgotten that this glass needs at the same time to be very thin. Stretching a thin piece of glass out like that with support only at the edges makes it weak.

Thanks

As far as 'giving it a shot' myself, no need to condescend. I've built things you could only dream about, using a more varied material palette than you've had hot dinners. I betcha.
    Allow me to make the introduction: Pot, meet Kettle.

With the experience that you claim to have, this sounds like it should be a walk in the park. I'd get started if I were you, Corning has a pretty big head start. I'm sure you'll be cashing the big checks in no time.

Thanks

Allow me to make the introduction: Pot, meet Kettle.

With the experience that you claim to have, this sounds like it should be a walk in the park. I'd get started if I were you, Corning has a pretty big head start. I'm sure you'll be cashing the big checks in no time.
    I'm fine thanks👍
    So you'd rather NOT have an unbreakable screen? Is that your argument? We should just stop the world right now and never progress because it's 'too hard'. Good one.

Thanks

Whats going to happen to the "case" market with wearable 360 degree display glass? Say they make a screen where your phone currently has a metal band going around it. Whats going to protect that? Im a fan of moving forward, I am not a fan of easily broken hardware :]

Thanks

So you'd rather NOT have an unbreakable screen? Is that your argument? We should just stop the world right now and never progress because it's 'too hard'. Good one.
    Hell YES I want an unbreakable screen. I also want a car that gets 100 miles to the gallon. I just don't think it's "ludicrous" that I don't have either. I'm confident that they're working on it. Every iteration gets better and better. They'll get there.

Thanks

Hell YES I want an unbreakable screen. I also want a car that gets 100 miles to the gallon. I just don't think it's "ludicrous" that I don't have either. I'm confident that they're working on it. Every iteration gets better and better. They'll get there.
    They can do it already but they don't; they want to make max profit. A sheet of unbreakable/scratch-proof sapphire crystal costs $40, a sheet of gorilla glass costs $4. Apple use sapphire crystal for internal components and are fully aware it is unbreakable but won't spend the extra money to use it for the screens. It is cost control, nothing to do with the glass tech. Apple are not benevolent benefactors, they are a huge, very rich and successful business with strong profit margins. More broken screens equals more iPhone sales, after all there is always a new and shinier model to buy when the screen breaks. Planned obsolescence has been with us since the everlasting lightbulb and Apple play the game harder than anyone.

Thanks

They can do it already but they don't; they want to make max profit. A sheet of unbreakable/scratch-proof sapphire crystal costs $40, a sheet of gorilla glass costs $4. Apple use sapphire crystal for internal components and are fully aware it is unbreakable but won't spend the extra money to use it for the screens. It is cost control, nothing to do with the glass tech. Apple are not benevolent benefactors, they are a huge, very rich and successful business with strong profit margins. More broken screens equals more iPhone sales, after all there is always a new and shinier model to buy when the screen breaks. Planned obsolescence has been with us since the everlasting lightbulb and Apple play the game harder than anyone.
    I'd be careful not to step outside in the rain with that tinfoil hat on...

Thanks

I'd be careful not to step outside in the rain with that tinfoil hat on...
    Nice counter. Are you a lawyer Steve? This is a fact, far from paranoia. Do some research. And since you like cliches so much I'll leave you with one. A fool and his money are easily parted.

Thanks

Nice counter. Are you a lawyer Steve? This is a fact, far from paranoia. Do some research. And since you like cliches so much I'll leave you with one. A fool and his money are easily parted.
    Yes, I am a lawyer and I humbly submit to the jury that this man is crazy. See above ^. I rest my case.