Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: API Exploit Captures 4.6 Million Snapchat Usernames and Numbers

Thanks

Default API Exploit Captures 4.6 Million Snapchat Usernames and Numbers

Not even a day into 2014 and we already seem to have a security scandal on our hands, this time with Snapchat stepping into the limelight. Just a few days after exploits for the social media service were announced by a security group, roughly 4.6 million users’ phone numbers and login details have been posted online. To make matters worse, Snapchat has reportedly ignored the potential issues for months leading up to the information being published by Gibson Security, as far back as August.

Now, an online web portal is claiming to allow access to users names and linked phone numbers, albeit the last two digits of the phone number being erased. Since most people use the same user name on different social networks, it wouldn’t take long for a person to find your actual, full phone number though.

Reports are currently suggesting that only certain area codes are affected and that it may be limited to the US at this time but the news is serious nonetheless. You should consider changing your username and password on sites with similar login information if you fall under the category of people with the same login information on multiple sites.

Snapchat has addressed the issue with a blog post but the issue has been ignored apparently since August, an issue in itself which isn’t to be taken lightly. Where does this leave you though? If you are a Snapchat user, are you now done using the service?

Source: Snapchat (blog) via Engadget

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Nope, I will still use it...

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Nope, I will still use it...
    good for you.
    Nicotine kills , people still smoke .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to aderion For This Useful Post:

Sage I (01-01-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by aderion View Post
    good for you.
    Nicotine kills , people still smoke .
    The database has been leaked. either those people now have your phone number or they dont. It wont matter if you stop using it so might as well keep using it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

The site snapchatdb.info has either been taken down or maxed out as it no longer shows. Why did they ignore the holes? They had to know it would implode on them sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
    The database has been leaked. either those people now have your phone number or they dont. It wont matter if you stop using it so might as well keep using it.
    They knew since August and did nothing. Not someone I would trust with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    The site snapchatdb.info has either been taken down or maxed out as it no longer shows. Why did they ignore the holes? They had to know it would implode on them sooner or later.
    The site has been shutdown. I have the database, luckily they don't have my number/account info. If you have an 805 area code, you are golden. Sucks for those other people that had their info compromised.

Anyone want Kim Kardashian and/or Jessica Alba's number?? lol. JK, those were two possible celebrity names I saw, they had area codes that coincide with where they live. I'm sure a few celebs info is compromised.

Show's how incompetent and/or careless SnapChat staff really are.