+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Releases Statement Denying Working with the NSA on their iPhone Spying

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Releases Statement Denying Working with the NSA on their iPhone Spying

Apple recently reacted to the news that the US National Security Agency worked on iPhone spyware to remotely monitor users by saying that it hasn’t cooperated with the agency on such projects and was not previously aware of those attempts. The Cupertino California company provided an official statement to the folks over at AllThingsD where the vowed to use its resources “to stay ahead of malicious hackers and defend our customers from security attacks, regardless of who's behind them."

This statement came after recently revealed documents showed the NSA has the capability of deploying software implants on the iPhone to grant access to onboard assets such as text messages, location data, and even microphone audio.

Although Apple was previously unaware of the NSA’s spyware, the company said its constantly working to make its products more secure. Any reports about potential security issues on its product prompt the company to "thoroughly investigate and take appropriate steps" in order to protect its customers.

The statement also declared that Apple’s product security is “industry-leading,” boasting the great effort that the company places on making it easy for customers to be able to keep their software up to date. To that end, the recent data from Apple showcased 78% of iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch users using iOS 7.

For those of you who didn’t know, the leaked documents revealed that the NSA’s iPhone targeting spyware program is called “DROPOUTJEEP” and it began in 2008. The software is capable of interception of SMS text messages, access to onboard data, microphone activation, and approximate positioning via cell tower location. Furthermore, the NSA boasts 100% success rate in implanting its spyware on iOS devices, but the leaked documents suggest that physical contact with a target phone is required to implant the software.

Apple’s full statement in response to the leaked documents can be found below:

Apple has never worked with the NSA to create a backdoor in any of our products, including iPhone. Additionally, we have been unaware of this alleged NSA program targeting our products. We care deeply about our customers' privacy and security. Our team is continuously working to make our products even more secure, and we make it easy for customers to keep their software up to date with the latest advancements. Whenever we hear about attempts to undermine Apple's industry-leading security, we thoroughly investigate and take appropriate steps to protect our customers. We will continue to use our resources to stay ahead of malicious hackers and defend our customers from security attacks, regardless of who's behind them.
    What do you think of the whole ordeal?

Source: AllThingsD

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone kosher1's Avatar
    Thanks

I like it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kosher1 For This Useful Post:

Feanor64 (01-01-2014)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kosher1 View Post
    I like it.
    Lol

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 705 Posts

Yeah because they will come right out and tell you the truth

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

I think Apple is telling the truth. Apple doesn't want the government controlling them or their products. They would control what products the government uses. That's why they've been pushing to get iDevices in government programs. On the other hand, this spyware could have been a collaboration so Apple could get their foot in the door, but I still side with Apple.

Thanks

That is all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Nothing is as it seems. Ever

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I think it's about as believable as "if you like your plan...you can keep your plan."