+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Encrypted Chat Service Cryptocat Rejected for the iPhone by Apple

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Encrypted Chat Service Cryptocat Rejected for the iPhone by Apple

For those of you who aren’t sure of what Cryptocat is, it’s an encrypted chatting service that lets no one apart from the sender and receiver see the actual content of the message. The developer of the service, Nadim Kobeissi, recently submitted the Cryptocat app for the iPhone only to be rejected by Apple for “illegitimate” reasons. He mentioned the following regarding the matter:

Cryptocat for iPhone was just rejected from the Apple app store. NDA doesn’t allow me to discuss openly but reasons are truly illegitimate.

One of the reasons for Cryptocat for iPhone’s rejection by Apple strongly implies that any other encrypted group chat app can be rejected.
    In several follow up Tweets, Kobeissi said that Apple specifically had a problem with the group chat encryption, also mentioning that he’s working with the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) to discuss the rejection. The thing that leaves everyone confused is that Apple has already approved the Cryptocat Mac app on the Mac App Store, which requires developers to comply to similar rules as well.

Cryptocat became popular during the wake of the NSA controversy, where the agency was found to intercept and snoop on communications. Crytpocat’s end-to-end encryption by design doesn’t allow for anyone other than you and the receiver to read your messages. Those of you interested in learning more about Cryptocat can hit the source link below.

Source: Cryptocat, Nadim Kobeissi (Twitter) via The Verge

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (12-29-2013)

Thanks

Goddammit Apple, this is why we jailbreak.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

dsg (12-29-2013), iH85CH001 (12-29-2013), menard_00 (12-28-2013), Sage I (12-29-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone menard_00's Avatar
    Thanks

I was about to type the exact same thing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to menard_00 For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (12-29-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

What do you have to hide?

Second, it is a slippery slope argument. What happens when drug dealers, criminals, potential terrorists, rapists, etc start using this and no one can back track the user? This can lead to discussions of crimes, buying/selling of drugs, and even soliciting or preying on little girls without any ability to track either/any user. What happens when crimes start being committed due to encrypted communications on this app that no one can back track?

You only think of your paranoid uses to avoid the NSA (as if they care about you or what you text really); no the other side of the coin how this could be used for not so good things.

Apple has to stick to guidelines about these types of apps and think of the potentially negative ways it can be used if it is putting it in its public app store. If it goes on Cydia then it is what it is as hosted by the developer. There is a liability and PR difference if Apple hosts it and promotes it in its app store.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stulaw11 For This Useful Post:

PokemonDesigner (12-29-2013)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,314 Times in 5,974 Posts

You must not live in the USA.

Just how many criminals are tracked by texting? Seriously!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

*T* (12-29-2013), dsg (12-29-2013), iH85CH001 (12-29-2013), Moneymikey (12-29-2013)

Thanks

MMMM, I am just wondering , so basically Whatsapp and BBM messages can be checked by anyone rather than the sender and the receiver ???

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cheaposity View Post
    MMMM, I am just wondering , so basically Whatsapp and BBM messages can be checked by anyone rather than the sender and the receiver ???
    yep.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by realism View Post
    yep.
    Thats nice

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cheaposity For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (12-29-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

What's the problem here? What if info is being tracked and checked, WTF do people have to keep so secret? People make me sick with all this NSA stuff, who cares if your mundane texts or emails are checked? Geez!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Goddammit Apple, this is why we jailbreak.
    no, it's not, please talk only about yourself

Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post

Second, it is a slippery slope argument. What happens when drug dealers, criminals, potential terrorists, rapists, etc start using this and no one can back track the user? This can lead to discussions of crimes, buying/selling of drugs, and even soliciting or preying on little girls without any ability to track either/any user. What happens when crimes start being committed due to encrypted communications on this app that no one can back track?

You only think of your paranoid uses to avoid the NSA (as if they care about you or what you text really); no the other side of the coin how this could be used for not so good things.

Apple has to stick to guidelines about these types of apps and think of the potentially negative ways it can be used if it is putting it in its public app store. If it goes on Cydia then it is what it is as hosted by the developer. There is a liability and PR difference if Apple hosts it and promotes it in its app store.
    +1, totally agree with you, security and safety of people is top priority

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Freedom Is Top Priority
    [QUOTE=stulaw11;6974037]What do you have to hide?

NOTHING IS WORTH MY FREEDOM SO WHAT IF I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE I STILL DONT WANT ANYONE INVADING MY PRIVACY THEY APPROVED IT ON THE MAC SO WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? A FAMOUS PERSON ONCE SAID ANYONE WHO IS WILLING TO TRADE THEIR FREEDOM FOR SECURITY IS A FOOL!!

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheGoldenTruth777 For This Useful Post:

*T* (12-29-2013), Airwaves182 (12-29-2013), BennyPR (12-29-2013), King_O_Hill (12-29-2013), se23 (12-29-2013)

Thanks

HA! Why is everyone above thinking that all personal info is just that..personal? Everyday there are news articles documenting large breaches in security of entities that house our personal and business info. Recently Target was the target :] With that being said, a hacker can do it and our country employs these same individuals to get info on well US. Yet we are deceived into thinking that their are services that can relieve us of this intrusion, seriously? Big Brother is always watching. Has something changed im not aware of? Oh wait..what about our recent JB that housed a mechanism to send our private info to a chinese server? My point is its always happening and it always will be happening. You just have to be as careful as you can. Yet, im not going to live a paranoid life. I have nothing to hide and could careless really who is watching me.

Banned
    Thanks

So, Apple the company that says its phone is secure denys an app because its too secure? What a joke.
    Whats the bet they steal the internals of the app and put it into the next IOS version.
    Or do they want the government to steal your messages, making sure all apps have a backdoor in them and not to secure as not to be hacked?

BTW, Did anyone here know Steve Jobs was a hacker before he started Apple? He was in the Homebrew club. Now why did he fight against homebrew so hard if thats his own background?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=TheGoldenTruth777;6974056]

NOTHING IS WORTH MY FREEDOM SO WHAT IF I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE I STILL DONT WANT ANYONE INVADING MY PRIVACY THEY APPROVED IT ON THE MAC SO WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? A FAMOUS PERSON ONCE SAID ANYONE WHO IS WILLING TO TRADE THEIR FREEDOM FOR SECURITY IS A FOOL!!
    AGREE!!!!

Banned
    Thanks

Did you even read it? It IS in the Mac App Store so Apple have already approved it as a chat app but wont let it be a iPhone app.
    Guess Mac isn't as secure as iPhone then if they deny it in the iPhone App Store.

iPhone? More like MyPhone abbdc1's Avatar
    Thanks

is this available to download for ip5S ?
    I have look on the cryptocat site but I can't figure how to configure or not compatible yet with ip?

Green Apple
    Thanks

For one thing privacy is privacy. You'll never hear about those 1%ters who really control everything, why cause they themselves live private lives that you will never hear about. The media will never do a story on them, cause to us they don't exist. "If your not thinking about them then they don't exist." Also the NSA/Gov have been watching us for years. Now that it's out in the open we want to say something and get scared. If they want you they will get you Period!!! Now with these drones that they have built and will now be in your local or Residential neighborhood it'll be easier for them to watch us. OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE NWO (New World Order) IS HEAR...!!!!!!

Don't mean to rant on this site but when some people are blind it's only right that you show them the light.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If u think any terrorist is gonna be using
    An iPhone to text plans to destroy a building ur wrong if u think any people that sell women will be using an iPhone ur also wrong , you never hear about those guys getting caught cause theyre
    A) part of our government B)not dumb enough to talk like that over text,ever heard of short wave radio? And if a guy like me wants to hit up my friend to grab a sac of gods flower then damnit I should be able to and no one should stop me.....merica

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Thatstastic For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (12-29-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    G**dammit Apple, this is why we jailbreak.
    How about saying Mohammed Damnit instead?
    Hmm...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    How about saying Mohammed Damnit instead?

Keep your religion out of this please, thanks.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to The Amazing Atheist For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (12-29-2013)