+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Encrypted Chat Service Cryptocat Rejected for the iPhone by Apple

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by stulaw11 What do you have to hide? Second, it is a slippery slope argument. What happens when drug dealers, criminals, potential terrorists, rapists, etc start using this
...
  1. #41
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    What do you have to hide?

    Second, it is a slippery slope argument. What happens when drug dealers, criminals, potential terrorists, rapists, etc start using this and no one can back track the user? This can lead to discussions of crimes, buying/selling of drugs, and even soliciting or preying on little girls without any ability to track either/any user. What happens when crimes start being committed due to encrypted communications on this app that no one can back track?

    You only think of your paranoid uses to avoid the NSA (as if they care about you or what you text really); no the other side of the coin how this could be used for not so good things.

    Apple has to stick to guidelines about these types of apps and think of the potentially negative ways it can be used if it is putting it in its public app store. If it goes on Cydia then it is what it is as hosted by the developer. There is a liability and PR difference if Apple hosts it and promotes it in its app store.
    Best answer yet... This thread should be closed after your post...

  2. #42
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bonum83 View Post
    Best answer yet... This thread should be closed after your post...
    Why should it be closed? Are you not up for a logical debate? Are you that closed-minded that because you don't believe something you can't accept that any other opinions can be shared?

  3. #43
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    You think being affected by the types of crime I listed are much slimmer than a corrupt NSA agent? What kind of Tom Clancy novel are you living in? I feel like I'm arguing with a bunch of irrational paranoid schizophrenic tin-foil hat wearers here.

    When is the last time you heard of a NSA agent in your area? Never. A rogue/corrupt one? Even lower odds than than that. A rouge/corrupt one out to get you Mr./Mrs. nobody special. Even lower than lower odds.

    Go sit at your local courthouse, or nearest big town/city courthouse and see how many cyber predators and criminals who used digital communications are arraigned or trials just that one day. Many.
    No court can ever help you when you are targeted by an NSA agent, thatís the most scary part ó you are TOO weak to protect yourself from it.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to tongxinshe For This Useful Post:

    abbdc1 (12-30-2013)

  5. #44
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    What do you have to hide?

    Second, it is a slippery slope argument. What happens when drug dealers, criminals, potential terrorists, rapists, etc start using this and no one can back track the user? This can lead to discussions of crimes, buying/selling of drugs, and even soliciting or preying on little girls without any ability to track either/any user. What happens when crimes start being committed due to encrypted communications on this app that no one can back track?

    You only think of your paranoid uses to avoid the NSA (as if they care about you or what you text really); no the other side of the coin how this could be used for not so good things.

    Apple has to stick to guidelines about these types of apps and think of the potentially negative ways it can be used if it is putting it in its public app store. If it goes on Cydia then it is what it is as hosted by the developer. There is a liability and PR difference if Apple hosts it and promotes it in its app store.
    It's not slippery slope at all. If the authorities were more open and less corrupt and seen to be answering for wrongdoings when caught, Joe Public would be far happier about surveillance. Maybe Apple is not to blame in this instance, but I'd feel a lot better if people were up front with me.

    Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    For all you r-tards talking about freedom and how you wouldn't trade it for security, I hope one day that is your daughter being solicited by the child predator on an encrypted chat app, or kidnapped by a predator, or sold drugs that harm your kid/significant other/family member or put them in the hospital or dead, and you go running to your "gubment" aka the police for help and they can't help you because no one can backtrack who sent the message due to app encryption. I hope your "freedoms" were worth it then. I get freedoms but that is the stupidest argument I have ever heard towards not having an encrypted chat app.
    What seriously? "I hope one day that.........." Wow. Just WOW!
    Last edited by Ambi_Valence; 12-30-2013 at 01:23 AM.

  6. #45
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    [QUOTE=TheGoldenTruth777;6974056]
    Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    What do you have to hide?

    NOTHING IS WORTH MY FREEDOM SO WHAT IF I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE I STILL DONT WANT ANYONE INVADING MY PRIVACY THEY APPROVED IT ON THE MAC SO WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? A FAMOUS PERSON ONCE SAID ANYONE WHO IS WILLING TO TRADE THEIR FREEDOM FOR SECURITY IS A FOOL!!
    You're close it was Benjamin Franklin and he said, "Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."

    And that statement is just as true today as it was then, and all of you people that don't care your freedoms are eroding on a daily basis are neither smart nor American because the founding principles of Liberty and Freedom are bred into true Americans.

    Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    Fair analysis unlike the rest of the complete crazies who replied. I still stand firm that whether the system works or not you need to have some type of way in for safety. Whether the system works or not with current tech isnt the question, but what happens when the criminals KNOW that there is absolutely no way to decrypt the messages? What's to stop that 45 year old sex offender from logging in and finding your 12 year old daughter for a meetup? Yes, I get it this could happen on facebook or anywhere on the web or regular text message, but at least there IS a way to figure out who that guy is by normal modes of communication- phone, text, internet (IP etc).

    The crazies say, oh terrorists dont use iphones, drug dealers dont use iphones. Really? Im glad the posters intimately know or dont know what phones criminals and terrorists use! And you don't think if it becomes public knowledge this app exists in the app store that these people wont just go out and purposely buy an iphone just for an unpenetrable ecrypted app? Cmon now use a tiny bit of your brain.

    For all you r-tards talking about freedom and how you wouldn't trade it for security, I hope one day that is your daughter being solicited by the child predator on an encrypted chat app, or kidnapped by a predator, or sold drugs that harm your kid/significant other/family member or put them in the hospital or dead, and you go running to your "gubment" aka the police for help and they can't help you because no one can backtrack who sent the message due to app encryption. I hope your "freedoms" were worth it then. I get freedoms but that is the stupidest argument I have ever heard towards not having an encrypted chat app.

    Again, what do you have to hide that needs to be in an ecrypted chat app that cannot be said over texts or a phone call?



    Please show me the Constitutional Amendment or case law where you are guaranteed the right to privacy on your cell phone transmissions in the air. Right, there are none. So everyone stop quoting your rights to privacy as you have no clue what you are talking about. You have a right to privacy on stuff ON your physical device from governmental intrusion, NOT once it is in the airwaves. There is no backing for such a claim.

    Furthermore, if you want privacy write a letter. USPS will not open it an read it as a governmental agency without a warrant.

    ATT, TMo, Verizon, etc are private companies and you are using THEIR towers. Your contract with them gives them rights to use your data and communications for basically anything they want, including letter including letting the feds collect your data for safety reasons.

    Additionally, the FCC, aka the GOVERNMENT, owns (or originally owned and sold to your private company carrier) and definitely regulates the spectrum your carriers uses.

    Either way, you have zero legal right to privacy of your cell communications once off your device and in the airwaves.

    You have a problem with collection of calls and texts? Stop using a cell phone completely or set up your own towers and buy spectrum.
    Unlike you stulaw [who I have to put on the spot here] it's rather obvious you're some kind of cop and the general public don't trust your tactics already. The founders knew this and it's why we have "Search Warrants" you cops gather evidence on the suspect and then if you get enough you get the warrant via a Judge who is actually familiar with importance of LAWS AND FREEDOMS....WHAT A GRAND IDEA huh?
    So in reality it's your argument that's dumb. The great people who founded this country and emancipated it from the Crown, I trust them just a little more than I do my friendly neighborhood Joe Blow Cop who is increasingly being taught We The People have no rights. Sorry about that but lets be honest here, if we didn't want privacy we'd live in a glass house. As one fine poster ended his statement with earlier. Merica!
    Last edited by bradmullins007; 12-30-2013 at 02:03 AM.

  7. #46
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts

    [QUOTE=bradmullins007;6974392]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenTruth777 View Post

    You're close it was Benjamin Franklin and he said, "Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."

    And that statement is just as true today as it was then, and all of you people that don't care your freedoms are eroding on a daily basis are neither smart nor American because the founding principles of Liberty and Freedom are bred into true Americans.



    Unlike you stulaw [who I have to put on the spot here] it's rather obvious you're some kind of cop and the general public don't trust your tactics already. The founders knew this and it's why we have "Search Warrants" you cops gather evidence on the suspect and then if you get enough you get the warrant via a Judge who is actually familiar with importance of LAWS AND FREEDOMS....WHAT A GRAND IDEA huh?
    So in reality it's your argument that's dumb. The great people who founded this country and emancipated it from the Crown, I trust them just a little more than I do my friendly neighborhood Joe Blow Cop who is increasingly being taught We The People have no rights. Sorry about that but lets be honest here, if we didn't want privacy we'd live in a glass house. As one fine poster ended his statement with earlier. Merica!
    Cop, no. Legal field yes. Dont ASSume.

    I have merely been playing devil's advocate as to why the app may have been rejected; why Apple's lawyers said whoa this could lead to liability hosting this in our app store.

    I cloud care less about any of your personal views of government or the constitution here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    Why should it be closed? Are you not up for a logical debate? Are you that closed-minded that because you don't believe something you can't accept that any other opinions can be shared?
    Quote Originally Posted by bonum83 View Post
    Best answer yet... This thread should be closed after your post...

    Because APPLE OWES YOU NO EXPLANATION.

    I'm not sure any of you really get it but this is their App Store they run and they own. They chose what they put in it and what exposes them to liabilities that they keep out. Again, I was merely playing devil's advocate here of what wrongs the app could be used for that Apple's lawyers would see a liability risk to reject the app.

    The fact is the app was rejected. This is not a constitutional law class or debate as it is getting far from the point of the app being rejected now to a bunch of paranoid tin-foil hat wearing yahoos talking about things they have half a clue about. Nothing against their views, but Modmyi isn't the forum for it.

    The bottom line is the app is rejected for whatever reason it may be; whether you like it or not. If you don't, feel free to contact he dev to put it in Cydia or start your own mobile OS platform and app store and allow the app. There is not choice C here. I was merely pointing out counterarguments as to why it may have been rejected.
    Last edited by stulaw11; 12-30-2013 at 11:01 PM.

  8. #47
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    *Yawn*
    Good slaves, you're even weaker than we thought now give us the rest of your freedoms.

  9. #48
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    Because APPLE OWES YOU NO EXPLANATION.

    I'm not sure any of you really get it but this is their App Store they run and they own. They chose what they put in it and what exposes them to liabilities that they keep out. Again, I was merely playing devil's advocate here of what wrongs the app could be used for that Apple's lawyers would see a liability risk to reject the app.

    The fact is the app was rejected. This is not a constitutional law class or debate as it is getting far from the point of the app being rejected now to a bunch of paranoid tin-foil hat wearing yahoos talking about things they have half a clue about. Nothing against their views, but Modmyi isn't the forum for it.

    The bottom line is the app is rejected for whatever reason it may be; whether you like it or not. If you don't, feel free to contact he dev to put it in Cydia or start your own mobile OS platform and app store and allow the app. There is not choice C here. I was merely pointing out counterarguments as to why it may have been rejected.
    This isn't an Apple website. No one here is asking Apple to come on ModMyi and explain their reasoning. This is a website where we can discuss Apple's decisions and whether or not we think they were good ones.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts