Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple TV Posting Strong Sales and Impressive Growth According to NPD Data

Thanks

Default Apple TV Posting Strong Sales and Impressive Growth According to NPD Data

While rumors of an Apple branded television set begin to die down, the Cupertino California company’s expansion into the living room continues with its Apple TV set-top box, which is quietly posting strong sales and impressive growth according to recent NPD data.

Just as Apple’s iPhone and handsets running Google’s Android operating system have combined to take over the mobile phone market, the Apple TV and its rival, the Roku system, dominate the third party set-top box market with approximately 80% between them. NPD analyst Benjamin Arnold shared the numbers with the folks over at AppleInsider.

The market for streaming accessories seems to be growing quickly, with sales up more than 30% on a unit basis over the last twelve months. Apple’s “hobby” has posted a 23% gain over the same period according to Arnold. Despite not seeing a hardware refresh in nearly two years, Apple has kept the Apple TV fresh with regular software updates, which according to Arnold are ultimately more important to consumers than speeds and feeds. He mentioned the following regarding the matter:

People buy Apple TV because they want to solve a problem — they want to get content from the small screen to the big screen.
    The Apple TV seems to have become an essential part of many families’ entertainment workflows since its release. Previously, a Mac mini might have done the job under the television as a dedicated home theater device or a MacBook Pro may have become the center of attention while positioned on a footstool, a single click can now beam audio and video wirelessly to from nearly any Apple device to the Apple TV and from there to a large HDTV display. Now, even an iPod Touch paired with an Apple TV can become a capable home media center.

The Cupertino California company adds new channels to the device and the company has recently been rumored to be tying live network television into the streamer. A summer update brought HBO Go and WatchESPN with channels like WatchABC being added more recently. Though the premium television and sports options still require a cable subscription, Apple is said to have begun negotiations directly with content providers in order to remove that stumbling block. The company brought former Hulu marketing and distribution chief, Pete Distad on board in July to move those negotiations along.

When asked about his thoughts on the rumored Apple-branded television set, Arnold expressed doubt that Apple would move in the direction “anytime soon.” He believes that Apple would instead focus their efforts on the Apple TV instead, where content, an area which Apple seems to know well, is king.

Do you own an Apple TV or Roku device? If so, how do you like it?

Source: NPD via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Apple TV here and love it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bisayakid07 For This Useful Post:

Sage I (12-18-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone DieselVexx's Avatar
    Thanks

Thinking of getting one. The older 1st generation with the 160gig hard(?) but would love for someone to explain to me the trade off between the older jail breakable ones vs the newer ones? Pro & Cons anyone?
    Last edited by DieselVexx; 12-17-2013 at 07:16 PM.

I have a 2nd gen (black, 720P) that we use frequently. Half the reason it is so great (for me) is that it's jailbroken and has greater functionality. I have a network attached storage (NAS) device with many movies on it that are accessible via XBMC and Fuse (flash core). For me, that increases it's value significantly. Without the jailbreak stuff, it's still outstanding to play music from your iPhone or iTunes library, to play a photo slide show, or send video content to the big screen/stereo. Airplay is my friend!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bisayakid07 View Post
    Yes sir, right here...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bisayakid07 View Post
    I have both! Love the ATV Use the Roku mostly for PLEX but now that I can run the PLEX app on my iphone/ipad and stream to the ATV I find myself using the ROKU less and less. My kids each have a ROKU in their rooms also mostly for PLEX and Netflix. Some Huluplus. We DO NOT have cable or OTA TV at the house for over a year. Everyone watches internet content and or stuff on the NAS!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dranon For This Useful Post:

Rcworship (12-18-2013)

Thanks

While there is no substitute for "live" tv, I would love to move to just internet viewing. If not just to save on my cable/internet bill. I have an extensive movie collection and have JB'en my APTV2 in the past. I may have to revisit that idea :]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

Dont need to jailbreak! Just get PLEX (free) import your media to it and then use iphone ipad ipodtouch to Airplay from the Plex app. Works perfectly!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dranon View Post
    Dont need to jailbreak! Just get PLEX (free) import your media to it and then use iphone ipad ipodtouch to Airplay from the Plex app. Works perfectly!!
    While that is a great option, there is something to having the atv2 stand on its own.