+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iBeacons Now in Place at All Domestic Apple Stores

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
As of Friday, all 254 Apple retail stores in the United States now feature iBeacon wireless short-range technology. Consequently, the impact of this arrival means shoppers will be able to
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iBeacons Now in Place at All Domestic Apple Stores

As of Friday, all 254 Apple retail stores in the United States now feature iBeacon wireless short-range technology.

Consequently, the impact of this arrival means shoppers will be able to receive messages about products, events and other information, all of which can be tailored to precisely where the shoppers are located inside of the store (this is contingent, of course, upon whether the shopper has both downloaded the Apple Store app and granted permission to Apple to track them).

Recently, the AP received a hands-on iBeacon demonstration from Apple at its busy Fifth Avenue store in New York City, where 20 iBeacon transmitters are in place.

The transmitters use Bluetooth wireless technology to sense your exact location. That's not possible with GPS, which don't work well indoors and aren't good at distinguishing between locations that are just a few feet apart.
    Apple can't say enough good things about iBeacon technology, particularly in how it bestows upon apps "a whole new level of micro-location awareness, such as trail markers in a park, exhibits in a museum, or product displays in stores."

Source: NBC News

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

The fact that apple thinks this is a good idea tells alot about their opinion of consumers. I mean lol are you serious?
    "He's over there, no wait he's over there now!!! Quick send a beacon about those headphones before he walks away from them!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cant you just turn off bluetooth?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They won't catch me. My bluetooth is always OFF!

Thanks

Cut the crap and give us NFC ..should have had it 3 years ago :]