+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Marks iOS 7 Adoption Rate at 74% based on App Store Usage Numbers

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Marks iOS 7 Adoption Rate at 74% based on App Store Usage Numbers

In a recent change to its developer website, Apple notes the latest version of its iOS mobile operating system has hit a 74 adoption rate as of December 1, a very large share compared to the 22% seen by iOS 6. As noted by the folks over at TechCrunch, Apple updated its developer support portal for the iOS App Store earlier today and included the graph seen above to illustrate iOS 7’s quick adoption rate.

According to the Cupertino California company, the numbers are based on App Store usage, with the share of devices running iOS 7 being at a whopping 74%. Given the short amount of time iOS 7 has been on the market (less than 3 months), the pick-up rate is quite astonishing. Apple originally released the latest version of its iOS mobile platform on September 18 alongside the iPhone 5S and 5C launch.

Although the adoption rate of iOS 7 continues to outpace its predecessor, the older version is still running on nearly a quarter of all active devices. This means roughly 96% of iOS users are running the two most recent operating systems, the older of which is just over one year old. Apple’s numbers nearly mirror those of ad network Chitika, which on Wednesday released data regarding iOS device Internet traffic. According to the analytics, iPhone version distribution stood at 74.1% for iOS 7 and 22.4% for iOS 6 during the three-week period between October 25 and November 18. As far as iPad users go, roughly 9% were still using iOS 5 though the number can be attributed to the tablets’ longer lifespans.

The same report, the ad firm outlined Android fragmentation, which saw just over half of all users running the last-generation 4.1 to 4.3 Jelly Bean. Googles current Android 4.4 KitKat is only operating on 1.1% of devices, while 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and 2.3 Gingerbread account for 18.6% and 24.1%, respectively.

Overall, Apple must be quite content with their success with iOS 7.

Source: Apple via TechCrunch

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well that's freaking bad news. I still have to use iOS 5.1.1. And all i have is iPod touch 4.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I still have: ipad2 running on ios 5, iphone3 running on 4 and ipod2 running on 3... Sure, they will be invisible to them since I stopped visiting the app store long time ago since no apps work with these anymore (contrast to google where older versions of the apps are still offered). So, yes, they have a large proportion of the devices that still visit them because the older ones do not anymore. This is sample bias...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cpotoso For This Useful Post:

Channan (12-06-2013), Feanor64 (12-06-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Most of Google's new features are released in the Play Store, so it's really not that big of a deal. The music app, browser, email, keyboard, virtual assistant, SMS, Google Play services, etc. are all updated in the Play Store. The equivalent on iOS require system updates. Android system updates at this point are mostly just performance improvements and bug fixes.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol everyone I know who has iOS7, wishes they didn't have iOS7.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

These nuimbers are misleading. I' m sure this doesn't account for the fact that anyone purchasing a new device after IOS 7 came out was forced to use IOS 7. Also, for those users who had a problem while backing up IOS 6, may have been forced to update to the crappy K-Mart looking IOS 7!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thevmax For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (12-06-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimdiscutidor View Post
    Well that's freaking bad news. I still have to use iOS 5.1.1. And all i have is iPod touch 4.
    +1 but I chose to use iOS 5.1.1 I find that it uses WAY less ram than ios 6, which allows for more tweaks and stuff.

Banned
    Thanks

Android Fragmentation? lmfao.

why no breakdown of the number of versions of iOS 7, there's like 4 of them. I just bought an iPad air less than a week ago and it came with x3 and just yesterday updated to x4