+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FCC Proposes In-Flight Voice/Data Cell Phone Use

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default FCC Proposes In-Flight Voice/Data Cell Phone Use

The US Federal Communications Commission plans to introduce a proposal that would allow passengers to use cell phones on airplanes during flight according to The Wall Street Journal. Under the terms of the proposal, airplane passengers would be permitted to make voice calls and use cellular data when above 10,000 feet. The following was mentioned regarding the topic:

The Federal Communications Commission will propose allowing passengers to use their cellphones on airplanes, people familiar with the matter said.

While phone use would still be restricted during takeoff and landing, the proposal would lift an FCC ban on airborne calls and cellular data use by passengers once a flight reaches 10,000 feet, an FCC official said.
    The proposal, which will be discussed during the FCC’s December meeting, will allow individual airlines to implement wireless technology and decide whether to allow customers to make voice calls while in flight. Something similar was proposed in 2007 but was ultimately abandoned after both numerous complaints about the idea and a “lack of technical information”

For those of you who didn’t know, the Federal Aviation Administration relaxed the rules on the use of electronic devices in flight, permitting gate to gate use of devices like iPads. Most major airlines in the United States have now adopted the new policy, which allows an iPhone to be used in-flight with “Airplane” mode enabled to restrict cellular access. The Federal Communications Commission intends to release the proposal as a Notice of Proposed Rule Making, accepting comments on the plan ahead of the final decision. According to The Wall Street Journal, the entire process could take several months.

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

This sounds great, except it doesn't work. Towers can't hand off calls and data quickly enough to make this a feasible option. If the planes themselves incorporate longer range repeaters then this might work, but cellular communication is rated at two speeds: stationary and 60mph (100km/h), but definitely not the 600mph (1000km/h) most commercial jets fly at and beyond. Believe, I try this every time I'm on a plane.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

quidam_brujah (11-25-2013)

*T*
    Thanks

SOUNDS TERRIBLE. Imagine flying next to someone who's on the phone with their mother all the way from NY to LA! NOOOOOO!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    SOUNDS TERRIBLE. Imagine flying next to someone who's on the phone with their mother all the way from NY to LA! NOOOOOO!!!
    I don't think talking for four hours is going to be a problem. However, sitting next to some teen texting her BFF for four hours… That I can believe.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Cell Tower Antennas are directional. They do do send signals straight up.
    Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    This sounds great, except it doesn't work. Towers can't hand off calls and data quickly enough to make this a feasible option. If the planes themselves incorporate longer range repeaters then this might work, but cellular communication is rated at two speeds: stationary and 60mph (100km/h), but definitely not the 600mph (1000km/h) most commercial jets fly at and beyond. Believe, I try this every time I'm on a plane.
    Agreed. You can not normally even pick up a signal on an airplane in flight. Ground based cell tower antennas are highly directional. They do not waste energy by sending it straight up. Airplanes would need to be equipped with some kind of light-weight equivalent of a moblie cell tower antenna. Sounds expensive. Guess who will pay for this ?