+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jury Awards Apple $290 Million in Damages Retrial against Samsung

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Jury Awards Apple $290 Million in Damages Retrial against Samsung

The jury of eight at the Apple vs. Samsung damages retrial granted Apple $290 million in damages from Samsung, in exchange for the South Korean electronics manufacturer copying the patented software and hardware designs of the iPhone and iPad. The verdict was reached in court in San Jose after two days’ worth of deliberations. For those of you who didn’t know the jurors were deciding how much money to award Apple out of a possible $380 million decision.

The $290 million will join nearly $600 million that Samsung was already ordered to pay in the initial trial with Apple. This latest retrial was held to determine damages related to five specific patents in the suit. The verdict comes in the second week of a retrial to determine how much more Samsung owes Apple after the Cupertino California decisive $1.05 billion victory last year. Following the verdict, Judge Lucy Koh vacated roughly $405 million in damages and set the retrial in motion.

The verdict reached is nearly $100 million less than the $380 million that Apple sought out in the retrial but at the same time, far above the $53 million Samsung said it owed. In a series of seemingly desperate last-minute attempts to delay the verdict, Samsung originally moved for a mistrial on racial grounds and then asked Judge Koh to stay the case pending a possibly years-long reexamination of a key Apple patent. Judge Koh ended up denying both motions, with the new verdict bringing Apple’s total award in the landmark patent dispute to over $900 million.

The retrial involved testimony from Apple’s marketing chief Phil Schiller, who revealed that the original iPhone was a massive “bet-the-company” gamble that ended up paying off. Following the success of the iPhone, Samsung began manufacturing devices that copied the look and feel of it as well as the iPad. Schiller said the following regarding the original iPhone:

There were huge risks. We had a saying inside the company that it was a 'bet-the-company' product. We were starting to do well again in iPod. Then here we're going to invest all these resources, financial as well as people, in creating this product.
    Closing remarks were given by both sides on Tuesday, setting the stage for the jury’s deliberations. Apple’s attorneys said the company has a chance to be “made whole” by reinstating $380 million in vacated damages while Samsung’s lawyers argued that Apple exaggerated the importance of the five patents involved in the case. Although they didn’t get paid as much as they would have liked to, Apple still came out ahead of Samsung in the damages retrial.

Source: Mercury News

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Banned
    Thanks

Supposedly the 1B Apple was asking was only 10% of Samsung's earnings for a specified period. I think If I was Samsung (looking back of course) I would have just settled out of court and paid the Billion.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Supposedly the 1B Apple was asking was only 10% of Samsung's earnings for a specified period. I think If I was Samsung (looking back of course) I would have just settled out of court and paid the Billion.
    this should be a lesson to samsung not to copy Apples pattons in the future Apple 1 samsung 0.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    this should be a lesson to samsung not to copy Apples pattons in the future Apple 1 samsung 0.
    Have you seen iOS 7? I don't think Apple has to worry about anyone copying their interface, especially when it's Apple that has rather blatantly copied from others, which makes this case seem a tad hypocritical.

Thanks

What I would like to know is, how do they actually arrive at the conclusion that, assuming that Apple really did loose (potential) sales due to Samsung's activities in question, those that money would have otherwise ended up as sales for Apple? IMHO, I don't see any guarantee that that that money would have gone to Apple at all. It could have easily gone into other product, a there are other Android handset makers (Motorola, LG, HTC, Sony, etc) well as other platforms like Windows Phone, or even Nokia Symbian (which still existed in the time frame in question), or it could have gone into other products entirely. Or perhaps some of those buyers might not have spent money on anything of the sort otherwise. My point is it seems ludicrous and rather gold-digging to make this sort of assumption that you can't possibly prove for certain. Please correct me anyone if I am missing something here.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,837 Times in 6,153 Posts

It doesn't quite work that way. Those numbers are based on how many units that Samsung sold during the violation period. If they rule that Apple is due $1 per unit and Samsung sold 100 units, then they would owe $100!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    It doesn't quite work that way. Those numbers are based on how many units that Samsung sold during the violation period. If they rule that Apple is due $1 per unit and Samsung sold 100 units, then they would owe $100!
    Thank you for your reply. I still find it to be wrong to assume that every single one of those 100 units sold would have otherwise been sales for Apple (ie, 100 iDevices.) In reality, had Samsung not been selling the infringing products, the money could have gone to any number of a vast array of sources. I just find it to be quite silly that the courts can be used this way, especially when one considers that most of these patents should never have been granted in the first place (patents are supposed to be for a specific implementation of an idea, and not for general ideas themselves. So clearly there is massive abuse of these systems on multiple levels, and it's not just Apple that guilty of it either.

Livin the iPhone Life Dark_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
    Have you seen iOS 7? I don't think Apple has to worry about anyone copying their interface, especially when it's Apple that has rather blatantly copied from others, which makes this case seem a tad hypocritical.
    Lol I totally agree! I mean it's a big deal when someone copies apple but when they do it it's totally fair right? lol just kills me

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png