+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why Apple May Have Been Wise to Sit Out Smartwatches This Year

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Despite an abundance of hype earlier this year regarding Apple jumping into the smartwatch market in time for the holidays, it now looks like those plans will not manifest (although
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Why Apple May Have Been Wise to Sit Out Smartwatches This Year

Despite an abundance of hype earlier this year regarding Apple jumping into the smartwatch market in time for the holidays, it now looks like those plans will not manifest (although the iWatch is still in development, analysts and supply chain sources confess).

Notwithstanding investor concerns that Apple's rate of innovation has slowed, it may ultimately prove wise for Apple to have delayed its entry into this new product category. According to the latest data from Gartner, smartwatches aren't gaining the critical mass needed yet for Apple to see the significant selling power most would expect form the iWatch.

All told, smartwatches are unlikely to be featured on many consumers' holiday wish lists this year, says Gartner. The premium pricing paired with an unclear value proposition will steer consumers' spending toward tablets and fitness bands instead. The end result will be lackluster sales of smartwatches this holiday season.

"Samsung and other well-known vendors have recently entered the smart watch space, yet the products we have seen so far have been rather uninspiring in terms of design, available apps and features," said Annette Zimmermann, principal research analyst at Gartner. "As a result, Gartner predicts that wearable devices will remain a companion to mobile phones at least through 2017, with less than one percent of premium phone users opting to replace their phone with a combination of a wearable device and a tablet."

Source: Gartner

Green Apple
    Thanks

i bet iphone 6 will launch with the watch... thats what im waiting for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 778 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttrr76 View Post
    i bet iphone 6 will launch with the watch... thats what im waiting for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Optimism is always a good thing! 😉

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

H3ATEDSS (11-21-2013)

Thanks

I have seen Samsung Gear with the Note III and I have to say this: Samsuk still sux... Just look at the photo above that's what you call a Smartwatch. Gottta love 'em Apple Product!!! Waiting for it and I bet you anything that the Smartwatch will launch with the iPhone 6 just like @buttrr76 said...

Green Apple
    Thanks

I personally don't get this whole smartwatch deal. It's just one person bumping me into a wall away from breaking and I could never see myself typing a message on my watch

iPhone? More like MyPhone ridingsupreme's Avatar
    Thanks

Smart watches are the biz when you can't take your phone out of your pocket at work or on the road. Apple has failed at innovation yet again but dang I do not want a Samsung. Apple is lucky they don't have much competition. Until the block phone comes out!

Green Apple
    Thanks

This smart watch is a waste I think. I do not think it will be a hot seller but that's my opinion

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Smart watches are just the natural progression to wearables, that's the real story.

Thanks

if the battery only last for less then a day I WONT BUY ! at least a week....

Thanks

If the iWatch has a built in HRM, I'm sold.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I now own a Note 3 and a Galaxy gear and I must say I am always going to my watch to read messages/emails quickly and use the gear in the car as my hands free.

Whilst I am impressed with the gear it needs more advancements and developments to be really useful and allow me not to take the gigantic note 3 out of my pocket.

Additionally both units are going back soon as the integration of an Android device into my apple based eco-system is proving challenging which is a shame as I have actually enjoyed the droid.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I have a Pebble, and I do like being able to see (and to an extent interact) with my phone or iPad without being near it. I can control my media playback, see my caller ID, track my progress as I walk through the day, and see my texts without having to be beside my phone.
    Plus, using DND, I can keep my phone situated in one place at work it eon't popup notifications and turn on the phone display constantly while I still get to see them on my watch. I have gotten quite a few questions about it from coworkers, supervisors and other people and I feel at least one or two will buy a smartwatch in the next 6-12 months.

I've always been a fan of advanced watches and similar technology, so this was a pretty nice idea to me. I do also agree that this is a progression towards wearables, just like Google Glass.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave