Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Planning Smartphone with Wrap-Around Display

Thanks

Default Samsung Planning Smartphone with Wrap-Around Display

Samsung is rumored to be developing a new device for launch in 2014 with a flexible display that envelops the device’s edges, allowing users to read messages while the device’s main display is at a non-viewable angle. The three-sided display will be manufactured using a new iteration of Samsung’s proprietary Youm OLED displays, according to a new report by Bloomberg. The publication’s sources were quite regarding the release date but inferred that it could hit shelves as soon as the second half of 2014.

The South Korean manufacturer showed off a prototype of such a device during the company’s keynote address at January’s CES trade show in Las Vegas where they introduced the display technology that is said to form the foundation of the new smartphone. Youm is a flexible OLED technology that uses plastic, rather than glass, as a substrate for the display’s transistors. Samsung said the current generation of 5.7-inch Youm panels, which many believe power the company’s recent Korea-only Galaxy Round smartphone, are just 0.12 millimeters thick.

Curved displays seem to be a growing trend in smartphones but it remains to be seen whether the trend is here to stay. So far, the only companies that also have a manufacturing interest in flexible display technology, namely Samsung and LG, have released devices with the feature and even then only in the companies’ home market of South Korea.

The Cupertino California company is said to be exploring devices with curved glass displays but the technology’s real future may be within wearable devices such as Apple’s rumored “iWatch,” which many believe will make use of flexible displays to wrap around users’ wrists.

Source: Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Didn't HTC already do this? I could have sworn they did.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    HTC Max Ultra, however it's a concept as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    The only thing Samsung knows how to do is copy other company's design and didn't we hear just the other day that Apple,s next May have this same feature I can see more court battles coming.

Can someone tell me whats exactly the use of a screen that's going around the phone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalpesh78 View Post
    Can someone tell me whats exactly the use of a screen that's going around the phone?
    +1, it looks stupid and has no benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by kalpesh78 View Post
    +1
    I honestly don't see the point of having the screen go around the phone. plus wouldn't the phone it self be even more fragile since the screen now goes around its edges. Meaning you have a bigger chance of having a broken screen when you drop it.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    The only thing Samsung knows how to do is copy other company's design and didn't we hear just the other day that Apple,s next May have this same feature I can see more court battles coming.
    Apple has NEVER invented anything., all they've ever done was copy and even worse, they copy and claim as their own.

when apple does it I'll see a complete 180 on the above comments., lmfao.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jOnGarrett For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (11-17-2013), se23 (11-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Apple has NEVER invented anything., all they've ever done was copy and even worse, they copy and claim as their own.

If you trying to be a clown, then you got it good. LMAO on your stupid comment...

So then what your saying is that apple didn't or has never invented something good on there own.

So who did apple copy the iPhone 2G idea from or better yet what about the iPad? Who's idea did they copy there?

Not trying to defend Samsung or anything, but isn't Apple guilty of copying others ideas too?
    'Good artists copy, great artists steal.’ "We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas…" ~Steve Jobs

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CabooseLoL For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (11-17-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsung and another companies after Apple sue them they learned, they are not stupid anymore and their strategy now is, every time they hear a rumor about something possible coming soon from Apple, they release it first with all possible features and ideas so in case Apple come with something similar they can sue Apple or blocking Apple to come with the next big thing. iWatch and now wrap-around display. Apple, close your mouth.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    So then what your saying is that apple didn't or has never invented something good on there own.

So who did apple copy the iPhone 2G idea from or better yet what about the iPad? Who's idea did they copy there?
    iPhone 2g: nokia actually sued apple and won over this device. Contrary to popular belief of apple fan boys, iPhone was not the 1st touch screen phone or smart phone for that matter.

iPad: self explanatory here, many tablets were around prior to the iPad. Apple did not invent the tablet. Fujitsu actually filed for the iPad name back in 2003. A quick google search of tablet history will give you a timetable of what existed pre-iPad.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JerseyScottie For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (11-17-2013), se23 (11-17-2013)

Easier to break when it falls from ur hands.

This is plastic, so I don't think it's gonna break that easily.

Also for the record, it was xerox that first came up with this concept in the 70's in their palo alto research facility.

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

19. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

dsg (11-16-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Samsung and another companies after Apple sue them they learned, they are not stupid anymore and their strategy now is, every time they hear a rumor about something possible coming soon from Apple, they release it first with all possible features and ideas so in case Apple come with something similar they can sue Apple or blocking Apple to come with the next big thing. iWatch and now wrap-around display. Apple, close your mouth.
    The patents are filed long before anyone outside of Apple hears anything. Do you really think that Apple would risk not having something patented before prototyping it? You argument makes no sense at all.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

There was a recent rumor here that Apple was doing the same thing? Samsung playing follow the leader again?
    Last edited by luvmytj; 11-18-2013 at 10:16 AM.

LOL Let me put this Apple curve "first" rumors behind..... Little behold.. Samsung long been had a curve screen phone back in 2012 called Samsung Galaxy S Advance GT-i9070 which wasnt sold in the USA and Samsung has long been trying to make a flexible bendable screens or AMOLED Display as they call it.. if you check youtube and search for "Samsung Flexible AMOLED Display at CES 2011" you can see the prototypes...

Soooo... Yeah... Apple is just trying to fit in with the trend of Samsung and LG, thats a FACT.. Just like they are putting out bigger screens for the next iPhone's as the rumor states.... Apple just recently announced about getting into the curved screen market is because they know they have to keep up with the technology of Mobile phones.

From the Article "So far, the only companies that also have a manufacturing interest in flexible display technology, namely Samsung and LG, have released devices with the feature and even then only in the companies’ home market of South Korea. "

self-explanatory

Call me a hater or whatever you please but you cant deny the fact that Samsung been trying to make this move in all area's of entertainment.. not just curved mobile phones but also curved LCD,TV's and others.. Dont believe it... Research for yourself.. enjoy

By the way.. I admit .. Apple finally did something right with the iPhone5S and the security hardware behind it...so Im not against Apple.. Just against uninformed people
    Last edited by MilzGatez; 11-17-2013 at 04:57 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MilzGatez For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (11-17-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

I was thinking the same thing.
    Who knows which company had this on the drawing board first?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    +1, it looks stupid and has no benefit.
    Exactly, but I would love a screen from edge to edge all the way around.

Lmao really?
    Last edited by dannyrocket; 11-17-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,253 Times in 1,384 Posts

Whatever!!! If I wanted to waste my time diggin through my posts, 'I' had this idea (I believe) before the iPhone 4S even came out; except mine was a 360* screen design!!!! So they copied ME!

Case closed!!! HAHAHAHAHA! 😉👍

So who do I sue? It's copyrighted since the date is logged, right?!?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast