+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Samsung Planning Smartphone with Wrap-Around Display

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by slim.jim The patents are filed long before anyone outside of Apple hears anything. Do you really think that Apple would risk not having something patented before prototyping
...
  1. #21
    Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Orleans - Who dat nation
    Posts
    1,203
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 113 Times in 86 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    The patents are filed long before anyone outside of Apple hears anything. Do you really think that Apple would risk not having something patented before prototyping it? You argument makes no sense at all.
    Of course is patented, but is not in the market yet so for the law the other companies can say, "we made this product but nobody can say we copy it because nobody really knew how it was because it wasn't in the market yet". When you make a patent you need to make a research first to see if somebody got something similar talking about the name or invention but you never going to find all the specs drawings and everything related to that product, so what you do? Invent something similar studying all the possible features your competitor can come with it and add them to your product. In this case your product yes it is in the market now with the difference from Apple that your product is known by everybody and patented, Apple product still patented but unknown. Guess who can say who copy who? It make sense for you now? If you don't understand what I mean, I know some people here will and maybe they can explain you better, just don't block your eyes and ears, this is happening and everybody can see it. Now your argument is invalid.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

  2. #22
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Of course is patented, but is not in the market yet so for the law the other companies can say, "we made this product but nobody can say we copy it because nobody really knew how it was because it wasn't in the market yet". When you make a patent you need to make a research first to see if somebody got something similar talking about the name or invention but you never going to find all the specs drawings and everything related to that product, so what you do? Invent something similar studying all the possible features your competitor can come with it and add them to your product. In this case your product yes it is in the market now with the difference from Apple that your product is known by everybody and patented, Apple product still patented but unknown. Guess who can say who copy who? It make sense for you now? If you don't understand what I mean, I know some people here will and maybe they can explain you better, just don't block your eyes and ears, this is happening and everybody can see it. Now your argument is invalid.
    However when they invent something similar and file for their own patent they will be denied the patent. Also they can look up the design and specs of the patent when trying to file for their own.

  3. #23
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by joju58 View Post
    If you trying to be a clown, then you got it good. LMAO on your stupid comment...
    Nowhere near as stupid as the comment above.

  4. #24
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,347
    Thanks
    41,405
    Thanked 17,497 Times in 6,398 Posts

    Funny how my post stating that Xerox was the first to creat this back in the 70's was just over looked. But while you bicker over who had it a couple of years ago isn't even in the same ballpark as the original creator! All thieves of Xerox!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

  5. #25
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Funny how my post stating that Xerox was the first to creat this back in the 70's was just over looked. But while you bicker over who had it a couple of years ago isn't even in the same ballpark as the original creator! All thieves of Xerox!
    That's because there is a difference between curved and flexible displays. Xerox was trying to make digital "paper" that was flexible.

  6. #26
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,503
    Thanks
    6,795
    Thanked 15,203 Times in 6,978 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Apple has NEVER invented anything., all they've ever done was copy and even worse, they copy and claim as their own.

    when apple does it I'll see a complete 180 on the above comments., lmfao.
    Ridiculous post with not a shred of truth or proof.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (11-17-2013)

  8. #27
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,347
    Thanks
    41,405
    Thanked 17,497 Times in 6,398 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    That's because there is a difference between curved and flexible displays. Xerox was trying to make digital "paper" that was flexible.
    Read the first sentence of this article again!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

  9. #28
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Read the first sentence of this article again!
    This is a case where the author doesn't realize the difference between flexible and curved (fixed shape).

  10. #29
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,347
    Thanks
    41,405
    Thanked 17,497 Times in 6,398 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    This is a case where the author doesn't realize the difference between flexible and curved (fixed shape).
    You sure, because it says flexible further down in the article too.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

  11. #30
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    405
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post
    Nowhere near as stupid as the comment above.
    Yep.

    Others have clearly shown how apple copies more products than they "make". Those of you that simply don't want to educate yourselves can't be helped.

    All of you hating on the curved glass, which I like a lot, will be saying how awesome and revolutionary it is when apple introduces it.

  12. #31
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    You sure, because it says flexible further down in the article too.
    Samsung did demo a truly flexible display but what is being talked about here is a fixed curve around the edge of the device.

  13. #32
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    231
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyScottie View Post
    iPhone 2g: nokia actually sued apple and won over this device. Contrary to popular belief of apple fan boys, iPhone was not the 1st touch screen phone or smart phone for that matter.

    iPad: self explanatory here, many tablets were around prior to the iPad. Apple did not invent the tablet. Fujitsu actually filed for the iPad name back in 2003. A quick google search of tablet history will give you a timetable of what existed pre-iPad.
    Haha apple fan boy when i own computer products by HP, Samsung, Toshiba and only thing apple i have is the iphone. Also when did I say iPhone was the first touch screen or smart phone?
    Apple was simply the first to do it best.
    Before the iPhone the hottest smart phone's in the market were the blackberries and after the iphone came all the rest followed.

    Now the iPad your trying to compare Fujitsu's smart phone with a tablet simply because of its name? which he actually filed for the iPad brand in 2002 not 2003 and Fujitsu didn't sue apple. Apple actually paid him a lil over 4mil in exchange for the iPad trademark in 2010 a couple of months after the announcement of apples iPad, also the first tablet Patent was actually filed in 1888 so yeah I know apple wasn't the first one to make a tablet. Microsoft that announced there tablet PC in 2001 was just a basic computer that you simply break into two pieces having the screen and the keyboard apart like there newer device now. Also the first tablet device actually dates back to the mid 1950's but yet again before apple all there was, was a window based computer/tablet which was simply a desk top computer on a flat screen that no one simply wanted to buy why because there were simply a desk top on a flat screen nothing more.

  14. #33
    iPhoneaholic quidam_brujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    472
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Samsung and another companies after Apple sue them they learned, they are not stupid anymore and their strategy now is, every time they hear a rumor about something possible coming soon from Apple, they release it first with all possible features and ideas so in case Apple come with something similar they can sue Apple or blocking Apple to come with the next big thing. iWatch and now wrap-around display. Apple, close your mouth.
    Please tell me that English is not your native language because I have no idea what you were trying to say, here.

  15. #34
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,608
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 188 Times in 135 Posts

    I see scrolling AD's. What other purpose would there be? Its not a pool..i don't need and "infinity phone" haha! I also see a phone that breaks/cracks even easier than they do today. Remember the famed Gorilla glass that never breaks? Well, it does haha. Not to mention wrapping a screen around a phone is not an invention but more of an idea that is up for grabs. First come first serve..let the games begin.

  16. #35
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,503
    Thanks
    6,795
    Thanked 15,203 Times in 6,978 Posts

    To say Apple never invented anything is just wrong. To say they are far better at re-inventing is a better fit for them though.
    What Apple does best: reinventing, not inventing | Macworld

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (11-18-2013), quidam_brujah (11-19-2013)

  18. #36
    iPhoneaholic quidam_brujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    472
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyScottie View Post
    iPhone 2g: nokia actually sued apple and won over this device. Contrary to popular belief of apple fan boys, iPhone was not the 1st touch screen phone or smart phone for that matter.

    iPad: self explanatory here, many tablets were around prior to the iPad. Apple did not invent the tablet. Fujitsu actually filed for the iPad name back in 2003. A quick google search of tablet history will give you a timetable of what existed pre-iPad.
    I haven't noticed too many 'apple fan boys' here ranting about: how the 'iPhone was the first touch screen phone or smart phone'; the 'iPad was the first tablet -- Apple invented the tablet.' In fact, a quick search of the forums finds that most of the 'apple invented' claims are the trolls b!tch!ing about 'apple fan boys' claiming that 'apple invented' stuff. If anyone cares to perform a more exhaustive study, please do. So, yeah, troll-on.


    The Toyota Camry is one of the best selling cars in the US. Notice how the turn signal is on the left side of the steering column and you pull it down to signal left and push up to signal right? Or how the window controls are in the arm rest? They clearly stole that from Ford. And they have the nerve to advertise how innovative they are and how amazing their cars are!



    If you thought the above sounded just a little bit asinine, good: you have some common sense. Of course you are going to see some similarities in product design, placement of controls, features, etc. I'm sure that some of Apple's lawsuits are frivolous (I don't excuse them that, I'm just not surprised.) I think what can be said about Apple's products is that they spend a lot of time and money trying to create products that integrate tech, style, features and price as optimally as they can for their target market. This has been covered before. Apple has had plenty of products that flopped. They have for some time now been trying to avoid that by being slower to market with products that actually work well.

    I had a Motorola Q9, which looked a lot like the Samsung Blackjack -- and they both sucked. Even if all you wanted to do was make phone calls, you could count on Windows CE (pronounced as 'WinCE' because using it made you do just that) mysteriously rebooting several times a day, autonomously. Oh, but, when it wasn't rebooting or dropping your calls, yes, it had a camera, multimedia, 3G streaming and browsing and ran other apps. Too bad none of these things worked very well apart let along together.

    So, being the first doesn't necessarily make your product better, just first.

  19. #37
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    Wouldn't the purpose to be to create a phone which is almost bezel less? And eventually making it a phone where the front side only is 100% screen.

    If they make the screen flex and the back come with LGs healing properties it be like the good old days of not needing to put your phone in a case to protect it

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to yatezy For This Useful Post:

    quidam_brujah (11-19-2013)

  21. #38
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey
    Posts
    141
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Haha apple fan boy when i own computer products by HP, Samsung, Toshiba and only thing apple i have is the iphone. Also when did I say iPhone was the first touch screen or smart phone?
    Apple was simply the first to do it best.
    Before the iPhone the hottest smart phone's in the market were the blackberries and after the iphone came all the rest followed.

    Now the iPad your trying to compare Fujitsu's smart phone with a tablet simply because of its name? which he actually filed for the iPad brand in 2002 not 2003 and Fujitsu didn't sue apple. Apple actually paid him a lil over 4mil in exchange for the iPad trademark in 2010 a couple of months after the announcement of apples iPad, also the first tablet Patent was actually filed in 1888 so yeah I know apple wasn't the first one to make a tablet. Microsoft that announced there tablet PC in 2001 was just a basic computer that you simply break into two pieces having the screen and the keyboard apart like there newer device now. Also the first tablet device actually dates back to the mid 1950's but yet again before apple all there was, was a window based computer/tablet which was simply a desk top computer on a flat screen that no one simply wanted to buy why because there were simply a desk top on a flat screen nothing more.
    Please read slower. I never called you a fan boy. I referred to fan boys in general. I also did not state that Fujitsu sued apple, I said Nokia sued apple when the iPhone 2g dropped. You asked who did apple copy for the iphone 2g and that's nokia as a court ruled.

    Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    I haven't noticed too many 'apple fan boys' here ranting about: how the 'iPhone was the first touch screen phone or smart phone'; the 'iPad was the first tablet -- Apple invented the tablet.' In fact, a quick search of the forums finds that most of the 'apple invented' claims are the trolls b!tch!ing about 'apple fan boys' claiming that 'apple invented' stuff. If anyone cares to perform a more exhaustive study, please do. So, yeah, troll-on.


    The Toyota Camry is one of the best selling cars in the US. Notice how the turn signal is on the left side of the steering column and you pull it down to signal left and push up to signal right? Or how the window controls are in the arm rest? They clearly stole that from Ford. And they have the nerve to advertise how innovative they are and how amazing their cars are!



    If you thought the above sounded just a little bit asinine, good: you have some common sense. Of course you are going to see some similarities in product design, placement of controls, features, etc. I'm sure that some of Apple's lawsuits are frivolous (I don't excuse them that, I'm just not surprised.) I think what can be said about Apple's products is that they spend a lot of time and money trying to create products that integrate tech, style, features and price as optimally as they can for their target market. This has been covered before. Apple has had plenty of products that flopped. They have for some time now been trying to avoid that by being slower to market with products that actually work well.

    I had a Motorola Q9, which looked a lot like the Samsung Blackjack -- and they both sucked. Even if all you wanted to do was make phone calls, you could count on Windows CE (pronounced as 'WinCE' because using it made you do just that) mysteriously rebooting several times a day, autonomously. Oh, but, when it wasn't rebooting or dropping your calls, yes, it had a camera, multimedia, 3G streaming and browsing and ran other apps. Too bad none of these things worked very well apart let along together.

    So, being the first doesn't necessarily make your product better, just first.
    Before I respond to this, do you agree with apple attacking samsung because of similarities or because devices are rectangles with rounded corners ? If so then you contradict yourself heavily on the Toyota mention. If not, then kudos to you for having common sense.
    Last edited by JerseyScottie; 11-18-2013 at 07:19 PM.

  22. #39
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,347
    Thanks
    41,405
    Thanked 17,497 Times in 6,398 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I see scrolling AD's. What other purpose would there be? Its not a pool..i don't need and "infinity phone" haha! I also see a phone that breaks/cracks even easier than they do today. Remember the famed Gorilla glass that never breaks? Well, it does haha. Not to mention wrapping a screen around a phone is not an invention but more of an idea that is up for grabs. First come first serve..let the games begin.
    It's plastic!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts