Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
11-13-2013, 11:37 AM #1
Italian Authorities Raid Apple's Headquarters
According to breaking news out of Milan, Italy at this hour, Italian authorities have raided Apple's regional headquarters.
Reuters confirms that government officials are accusing Apple of alleged tax fraud. Consequently, the Mac-maker is under investigation in Italy for "allegedly hiding 1 billion euros (835 million pounds) from the local tax authority."
This information comes directly from a "judicial source" involved with the matter in Europe. As a result, authorities are proceeding with a full investigation after taking an untold number of computers from Apple's local offices in Italy this morning.
It should be noted, however, that Apple isn't the only tech giant targeted by such allegations and investigations these days. From Google to Amazon, numerous companies are facing intense scrutiny.
"In crisis-hit Italy, tax authorities faced with dwindling revenues have become more aggressive with domestic and multinational companies," Reuters reports.
11-13-2013, 01:44 PM #2
LOL! Can't wait till they waste their time digging through all the records just to uncover that everything is legit!
11-13-2013, 02:36 PM #3
Apple deserves this, hope more countries crack down on Apple.
Evading tax legally or not in U.S., U.S. government is not going to protect this company as much as Apple would like.
If a company can evade taxes in country it is from, other countries will start investigate these company without worrying about pissing off U.S. government.
If Apple want U.S. government protection, it should have pay the taxes that is due instead of avoiding it by utilizing loopholes.
Want to hide your money in Ireland? Let Ireland fight for your interest Apple.
Last edited by unison999; 11-13-2013 at 03:31 PM.
11-13-2013, 03:11 PM #4
11-13-2013, 03:52 PM #5
11-13-2013, 04:07 PM #6
Before everyone jumps on me like a pack of hyenas, here's my reasoning:
- Foxconn work conditions: Apple is the ONLY one that created regulations even though several major electronic companies use Foxconn, as well.
- U.S. Tax Evasion vs Foreign Factories: Apple pays the local foreign taxes and gets the geographical resources that are needed so our products cost us less. Tim Cook explained all of this and was fairly transparent about their reasoning.
- Despite Apple & Samsung's love/hate relationship. They still use some Samsung parts, creating revenue for Samsung, because Apple knows these parts are superior. Could Apple build their own factory and make processors or screens? Yes, of course! But they're humble enough to realize when they would be inferior; and they don't want to do that to their customers.
I just think that they've been wrongfully accused and I hope it slaps the Italian government in the face!
11-13-2013, 04:56 PM #7
2. Real reason Apple hides its money in Ireland is because of their tax laws, foreign companies pay a very low taxes. Apple is not buying any resources in Ireland. You don't see "made in Ireland" on any Apple products or customer service representatives answer phone with "O'Brian speaking" do you? Only reason Apple's money is there is to hide it from getting taxed by government in other countries. Tim Cook explain absolutely nothing during congressional hearing except answer with what Apple's group of lawyers tells him to say, which is cryptic at best.
3. Apple do not make the screens because Samsung owns patents on many of the technologies needed to make these screens to work right, if Apple can do it themselves cheaper they would. I've never seen Apple ever been humble about anything, always blaming others even it's customers! Antennagate? You are holding your phone wrong out of our generosity I will give you cheap case that breaks after a few months to alleviate the attenuation issue you are having that is not Apple's design flaw. Low reception issue? Oops Apple programed the display to show higher reception than it is receiving, never mind this same same display results was on the previous gen iPhones and people never had issues with older iPhones. Only Apple can get away with it and have many of it's customer to back them. Let's just say I have never gone to McDonald's order a Big Mac meal and was served filet-o-fish and Ronald McDonald come out and tell me it is a Big Mac. I just have to look at it straight down and look at top of the bun, out of McDonald's generosity here is some sesame seeds for you to stick on the bun because Big Macs are now serving sesame seeds on the side.
Last edited by unison999; 11-13-2013 at 05:09 PM.
11-13-2013, 10:24 PM #8
I think you're getting factory vs headquarters mixed up. Apple has headquarters all over the world. Where do you think your supplies come from? They don't ship directly from Apple in California. They ship from the factories in China to the headquarters.
So...are you seriously trying to argue that having a headquarter in Ireland, to benefit customer demand, is a form of tax evasion?!?! That's ridiculous!
Second, could Apple make their own screens or processors and do it w/out patent infringement? Of course they can...Apple is ridiculously loaded! But they don't because it's not worth it to them. Samsung makes a good product and Apple will pay them for it. Enough said!
Do I think Apple is a stand-up company? No! I don't agree with a lot of the greedy decisions they make BUT I do feel that they are fairly honest. Maybe I'm being naive but that's just my opinion...
Last edited by thazsar; 11-13-2013 at 10:28 PM.
11-18-2013, 06:21 AM #9