+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: If Microsoft Names Stephen Elop CEO, Office for iOS could see a Boost

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default If Microsoft Names Stephen Elop CEO, Office for iOS could see a Boost

Former Nokia CEO Stephen Elop, who is currently one of the leading candidates to replace Steve Ballmer as CEO of Microsoft, is reportedly open to the possibility of broadening distribution of the company’s Office Suite to platforms such as iOS and Android should be named to the position according to a report from Bloomberg. The following was mentioned regarding the matter:

Elop would probably move away from Microsoft’s strategy of using these programs to drive demand for its flagship Windows operating system on personal computers and mobile devices, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the 49-year-old executive hasn’t finalized or publicly discussed his analysis of the business
    Office for iOS has been rumored for several years, particularly since the 2010 introduction of the iPad. Although Microsoft has an Office Mobile app for the iPhone to allow subscribers to the company’s Office 365 service to perform basic editing on Office documents, a full-fledged Office suit for the iPad and iPhone have yet to appear. According to the most recent reports, Office for iPad is awaiting completion of a “Touch First” interface that will come first to the Windows version of the suite in the early part of next year.

For those of you who didn’t know, Elop spent roughly three years heading up Microsoft’s Business Division, which is responsible for Office before it was announced in September 2010 that he would be leaving the company to lead Nokia. Elop stepped down as the CEO of Nokia alongside the September announcement that Microsoft would be acquiring Nokia’s Devices and Services Division. He is now scheduled to take charge of a new Microsoft division focused on devices such as the Surface and Xbox, but is said to be under strong consideration to be named CEO.

Elop is said to reportedly be open to other major changes as well if he were to take charge of Microsoft, including selling off the Xbox division or shutting down the Bing search engine services. The Microsoft spokesman, Frank Shaw, bluntly responded to Bloomberg’s request for a comment by stating the following:

We appreciate Bloomberg's foray into fiction and look forward to future episodes.
    We’ll have to see what ends up happening but from the sounds of it, Microsoft may potentially undergo some major changes.

Source: Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

This guy bankrupted Nokia and they are letting him helm Microsoft? That's flat out crazy stupid.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    This guy bankrupted Nokia and they are letting him helm Microsoft? That's flat out crazy stupid.
    U and i both know that Nokia phones and windows operating systems( phone or computer) have been sub-par compared to the market. No apps is a no no in phones nowadays. On that note, I would want him to put a full version of office on my iphone.

Thanks

Office is a mediocre buggy POS on Windows, it won't improve on iOS.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    Nokia was going down hill way before he came aboard. A five minute search on Google would show that.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Office is a mediocre buggy POS on Windows, it won't improve on iOS.
    However it is the default Office suite in most businesses, Pages and Numbers isn't going to cut it in the business world

Green Apple
    Thanks

If Microshaft ever released a full version of Office or the Ipad it would mean the end of the Surface tablet for sure. The only reason they've sold any of their tablets at all is because of Office, so if you can get office on the market leading tablet, would you honesty buy a 2nd rate piece of junk like the Surface.

RIP Microsoft

Jolly

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

The rumor was that Microsoft help place that guy at Nokia to torpedo them so they could buy them for billions cheaper