+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Build a New Advanced Sapphire Manufacturing Facility in Mesa, Arizona

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple to Build a New Advanced Sapphire Manufacturing Facility in Mesa, Arizona

It was recently announced that Apple will be building a new advanced sapphire manufacturing facility in Mesa, Arizona, bringing a portion of its device production back to the US. The announcement was made by Arizona Governor, Jan Brewer, who highlighted Apple’s latest initiative as a growth driver for the state. Brewer mentioned the project will create at least 700 “quality” jobs in the first year alone as well as an additional 1,300 construction jobs associated with the facility’s construction.

Brewer said the following regarding the matter:

Apple is indisputably one of the world's most innovative companies and I'm thrilled to welcome them to Arizona. Apple will have an incredibly positive economic impact for Arizona and its decision to locate here speaks volumes about the friendly, pro-business climate we have been creating these past four years. Their investment in renewable energy will also be greening our power grid, and creating significant new solar and geothermal power sources for the state.
    GT Advanced Technologies will manufacture sapphire material on the Arizona site. Apple made a prepayment of $578 million for the build, which GT Advanced will reimburse in full starting in 2015.

For those of you who didn’t know, in 2012, Apple CEO Tim Cook mentioned he wanted to bring back some of the company’s outsourced manufacturing jobs to the US. Currently, partners such as Foxconn and Pegatron build the majority of Apple’s devices. It was reported in June that Apple would hand off manufacturing of the upcoming Mac Pro to Flextronics, which would in turn assemble the desktop on US shores.

Also, with the recent news, Apple isn’t being coy in its belief that sapphire is the material of choice for certain applications. What remains unknown is which parts will be manufactured at the Arizona plant; though Apple currently uses the material as a cover glass for the iPhone 5S’ touch ID fingerprint sensor, as well as the handset’s rear-facing camera. Ultimately, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Source: Arizona Governor (PDF)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Lol in other news apple to start building meth labs along with their other products
    It's a phone, let's talk about guns.

Thanks

While it is nice that Apple is bringing jobs to the U.S. and more importantly to the city right next to me, I was hoping for more general employment opportunities, not positions that sound rarified like these 700 "sapphire" positions. I'm thinking more large scale assembly line kind of stuff that really helps out the economy like what Flextronics may be doing.

As an aside, it's crazy how long it took this page to load with all the ads on the side.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    While it is nice that Apple is bringing jobs to the U.S. and more importantly to the city right next to me, I was hoping for more general employment opportunities, not positions that sound rarified like these 700 "sapphire" positions. I'm thinking more large scale assembly line kind of stuff that really helps out the economy like what Flextronics may be doing.

As an aside, it's crazy how long it took this page to load with all the ads on the side.
    Apple would have to pay triple and probably more to have the iPhones manufactured over here in the US, compared to Foxconn.

Thanks

Even I, who am a South African and it really doesnt benefit me at all (probably quite the opposite), hope that they bring more of the manufacturing process to USA.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Living in Arizona is tough, this is good for our state. I'm actually interested in this. Near the old GM proving grounds too. I will be watching this develop.

<-- Lives in Mesa

What's Jailbreak? LatinKreationz's Avatar
    Thanks

I live in East Mesa and am excited about this as well. It's a start to help AZ.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SirZyrion's Avatar
    Thanks

Mesa could definitely use this! LMAO on Apple Meth Labs! People are already addicted. That would explain the long launch lines!

From what I've read, it's not manufacturing costs that keep Apple in China with Foxconn. It's their assembly line flexibility.