Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's advertising Budget Found to be smaller than that of Microsoft and Samsung

Thanks

Default Apple's advertising Budget Found to be smaller than that of Microsoft and Samsung

One of the common refrains heard from Apple critics is that Apple’s success has a lot to do with marketing and not much at all to do with innovative products. For example, in the past, many critics liked to say that the iPod was just an average mp3 player that was able to own the market thanks to an assortment of dancing silhouette ads. In reality though, advertising will only take you so far. In the short term, it’s a great way to introduce the public to your product but in the long run, the marketing campaign touting less-than-stellar products that consumers don’t want is destined to fail.

Horace Dediu of Asymco posted a chart that really puts Apple’s advertising efforts into perspective. Over the last five years, both Samsung and Microsoft have spent more on advertising than Apple did. Just to be fair, it should be pointed out that Samsung’s product lineup is far more expansive than Apple’s but the chart above should serve as a reminder that Apple’s success is rooted in great products, not a bloated advertising budget.

An interesting strategy to think about though is whether Apple should leverage some of its extensive cash reserves to more heavily advertise its own products. We’ll have to wait and see how Apple handles the matter.

Source: Asymco (Twitter)
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 11-04-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

This makes me smile...

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    This makes me smile...
    +1. instead of focusing on bettering their products they spend money on bashing apple.

To be fair, Apple gets so much free advertising on non commercials. If you ever watch a sporting event or just the Super Bowl alone, you see so many people and so many athletes and celebrities touting the iPhone. Apple doesn't need to advertise. The world will do it for them. Tim Cook and the rest of the crew just have to sit back and smile during those events.

There another reason why apple is the king, they already get the top smartphone sales out of every company. And best selling music player out of every company!!!!!! Apple FTW

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    To be fair, Apple gets so much free advertising on non commercials. If you ever watch a sporting event or just the Super Bowl alone, you see so many people and so many athletes and celebrities touting the iPhone. Apple doesn't need to advertise. The world will do it for them. Tim Cook and the rest of the crew just have to sit back and smile during those events.
    Either apple paid them marketing dollars by giving them free product (product placement), or those folks genuinely like the apple product they have and willfully advertise it.

It's been said many times by folks much smarter than me that truly innovative products sell themselves.

Old news, but worth repeating since every Android Fanboy out there loves to throw down that old line of marketing being Apple's only means of selling.

Too bad you'll only see this on this site and not on other more general sites like The Verge or Engadget. Their Fandroid viewer base would revolt, brand them as Apple fanboys, and say they'll never visit their siite again.

Both Microsoft and Samsung sell more than just handheld devices so of course their advertising budget will be bigger.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post
    Both Microsoft and Samsung sell more than just handheld devices so of course their advertising budget will be bigger.
    Oh, I thought Apple sold more than just handheld devices? I guess my MacBook Pro, iMac and Apple TV aren't Apple products after all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    To be fair, people that don't understand quality and a complete product vs a wannabe imitation will always look for excuses and loopholes. These same people will never give credit where credit is due...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalpesh78 View Post
    +1. instead of focusing on bettering their products they spend money on bashing apple.
    lol, they do make better products. apple seems to think so. apple spends less because they can. they get plenty of free publicity and all the hype they need. lines forming weeks before the phone goes on sale., giddy newspeople who know nothing about tech praising the iPhone etc etc. in spite of it all, Samsung sells more phones, makes as much and sometimes more money than apple. Samsung is quite successful and its a good thing for apple that Samsung's business expands far far beyond just phones and app stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    To be fair, people that don't understand quality and a complete product vs a wannabe imitation will always look for excuses and loopholes. These same people will never give credit where credit is due...
    that's a door that swings both ways dude.
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 11-06-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    that's a door that swings both ways dude.
    It's true... but it was a big argument that all Apple does is marketing. It's nice to know it's not the case and quiet the opposite. Word of mouth might be a form of marketing but it's what you get from being good at what you do, not trying to trick people.

By the way, I'd like to clear the air with you...
    Keep this in mind... I work in IT, I work with all sorts of platforms I'm far from Apple only but I prefer it when I'm not working (it's like my vacation from the stuff I work with all day). I like Apple because it fits my needs not because it's the best or I don't know about the power of the alternatives. That's why I hate people that come on here and try to **** on my choice. We might joke around and make fun of other platforms but it's mostly jokes and it's with the assumption that we are around like minded people. People that are dead serious about it can't be taken seriously. I had a guy at my work talk to me about Apple and once he said Apple is like a Ferrari the conversation got awkward. Anyways just wanted to share that because I been a bit of a **** to you but at the same time I think a lot if it was well deserved.