Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's R&D Costs Have Spiked This Year

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Apple's R&D Costs Have Spiked This Year

If it's any consolation to the critics who contend that Apple has forgotten how to innovate, Apple's spending on research and development has climbed significantly this year.

Apple’s annual Form 10-K filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission is giving us a good look inside of the tech giant's R&D expenditures. And so far this year, they're up 32 percent.

What that boils down to in terms of dollars and cents is about $4.5 billion. That's how much Apple has coughed up for research and development in 2013.

Apple accounts the increase in expenditure to increase in personnel, also to increased expenditures it had to make to support expanded activities. Apple believes that “focused investments” in R&D are crucial to its future growth, the filing states, and that it expects to make further investments in this sector down the line.
    Although there is no denying that $4.5 billion is an enormous amount of money, it's ultimately just a drop in the bucket when you consider how much cash Apple still has in reserves.

Source: UberGizmo

Gotta spend money to make momey

They sure didn't spend it making the 5S or 5C!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    They sure didn't spend it making the 5S or 5C!
    The 5c is a mid level phone, quit trying to compare it with the 5s which is a high end phone... I'm sure devolving a new processor and fingerprint scanner to work with the iPhone the way it does wasn't cheap either, plus the money for r&d for the iPhone 5s probably came from two or three years ago...

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

They are desperate...

My wife's 5s was just replaced. It was 3 weeks old. It was having a lot of issues. I did a clean install, updated the iOS. AppleCare on phone had me run some tests. Took it to apple store and they did a few things as well. Finally one test they did and I am not sure, they said it did not work, so they gave her a new phone.

Ripping off the jailbreaking community if free!

So R&D has gone up but the quality of their devices has gone down.
    They should spend less on R&D and put money back into quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    The 5c is a mid level phone, quit trying to compare it with the 5s which is a high end phone... I'm sure devolving a new processor and fingerprint scanner to work with the iPhone the way it does wasn't cheap either, plus the money for r&d for the iPhone 5s probably came from two or three years ago...
    The 5c just a iPhone 5 but made cheaper.

Btw who was comparing the phones?

Thanks

4.5 billion is NOT a drop in the bucket, even by Apple's standards.