+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Announces Update which Adds Galaxy Gear Support to More Phones

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung Announces Update which Adds Galaxy Gear Support to More Phones

Samsung recently announced an update to its Premium Suite software package, making it available to owners of its Galaxy S3, S4 and Note 2 devices, adding support for its Galaxy Gear smart watch to the handsets. Alongside Galaxy Gear support, the update will also bring Android 4.3 to the devices, and Samsung promises the Galaxy S4 Mini and Galaxy S4 Mini and Galaxy Mega will also receive the Premium Suite revision.

The announcement appears to be welcomed news for Samsung device owners who want to get their hands on the company’s smart watch, though that group’s membership rolls are reportedly dwindling. According to a report from Geek.com, Best Buy outlets stocking the Galaxy Gear appear to be facing return rates of up to 30%. The website notes that Samsung is concerned about this figure and has asked employees of its Best Buy stores-within-a-store to help ascertain the reasons for the high incidence of dissatisfaction from consumers. It doesn’t seem to be a surprise that something like this would happen though as the device has been widely panned by the tech media since its unveiling last month, not just for its limited list of compatible phones either.

Many people have taken issue with nearly every aspect of the device, from its $300 price tag to the reportedly short-lived battery and the watch’s user interface design. David Pogue of The New York Times went as far as calling the device "a human-interface train wreck," saying that "nobody will buy this watch, and nobody should." Samsung is said to have rushed the Gear out the door to beat Apple’s rumored iWatch to the market. The Cupertino California company has been rumored to have a team of more than 100 employees working on a wrist-worn device and has augmented their internal resources by bringing domain experts like former Yves St Laurent CEO Paul Deneve and fitness guru Jay Blahnik on board to help.

Do you think the said update will help Samsung with its Galaxy Gear line?

Source: Geek.com

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

And this relevant to Apple how?
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Banned
    Thanks

I updated on Friday and got Samsung to replace it on Monday. The 4.3 update matches the watch and its a total train wreck and everyone should stay away from it.
    4.3 comes with Knox which is a hardware killer. Its nearly as bad as an iPhone after thats installed. You CANT downgrade or change firmwares. You CANT root or add any extras. Its a total lockout so its NOT user friendly. I do NOT recommend anyone to upgrade to 4.3 if you root or customize your S4.
    Last edited by smith01; 10-29-2013 at 02:56 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    More plastic junk from samsung

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
    I updated on Friday and got Samsung to replace it on Monday. The 4.3 update matches the watch and its a total train wreck and everyone should stay away from it.
    4.3 comes with Knox which is a hardware killer. Its nearly as bad as an iPhone after thats installed. You CANT downgrade or change firmwares. You CANT root or add any extras. Its a total lockout so its NOT user friendly. I do NOT recommend anyone to upgrade to 4.3 if you root or customize your S4.
    Well if you want the best 4.3 experience, I recommend CM10.2. I've been running it on my S3 for a couple of months now and it's surprisingly stable in it's current nightly state, uses less RAM which in return gives improved performance for multitasking and gaming and the update is only 190 MB compared to stock Touchwiz is almost a gig. You do lose some features since it's stock Android but I think the pros outweigh the cons and some of those lost features you can mod back on to get them again

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    Well if you want the best 4.3 experience, I recommend CM10.2. I've been running it on my S3 for a couple of months now and it's surprisingly stable in it's current nightly state, uses less RAM which in return gives improved performance for multitasking and gaming and the update is only 190 MB compared to stock Touchwiz is almost a gig. You do lose some features since it's stock Android but I think the pros outweigh the cons and some of those lost features you can mod back on to get them again
    The S4 official update is just under 2GB so a custom rom at 190MB is heaps better. And usually those custom roms don't install Knox so they are better.
    I found one called "FoxHound Diamond Dogs 3.0 TW 4.3" which is great. See if there is one for your phone and try it out. Its got an installer so you get to choose what gets installed and what doesn't. You can have it stock or customized or whatever you want its really flexible.
    BTW, FoxHound Custom Rom is 1.3GB. I found it via google. Not sure what phones its for but it was for mine and I tried it out and it was pretty good. IF I ever update to 4.3 I think thats how I will do it as I dont ever again want to install Knox as thats what killed my S4.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
    what on earth are you talking about? my Wife's S4 with 4.3 has ZERO issues.

and you CAN downgrade even if you didnt back up your ROM.

also, every problem under the sun can be solved on an Android device, if you dont know how, head over to A and you will get a solution to any problem you have--sometimes within minutes after you post it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    Their smart watch looks like a decent start for that market. The commercial they had for the smart watch was actually a great commercial. Samsung should learn that they don't have to attack other companies to sell products. I'm waiting for an apple smart watch. Being able to check texts or see who's calling from my watch seems like an awesome idea. Also, I would hope for more features than just that. But I wouldn't want an App Store for it. Some people call it being lazy, I call it being efficient.

Banned
    Thanks

If you were a business owner wouldn't you want to know what the competition is up to? besides, its no secret that Samsung rushed these to market just so they could be "first" and avoid the lawsuits and copying accusations.

other Android OEMs are already on the band wagon an apple will hop on as well.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    If you were a business owner wouldn't you want to know what the competition is up to? besides, its no secret that Samsung rushed these to market just so they could be "first" and avoid the lawsuits and copying accusations.

other Android OEMs are already on the band wagon an apple will hop on as well.
    This is an Apple related website, this Samsung only article is definitely out of place here. This website is not a business selling smartphones so how does your explanation apply?

By the way, Apple is driving the tractor pulling the wagon that Samsung clings to.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post

By the way, Apple is driving the tractor pulling the wagon that Samsung clings to.
    Since you put it that way, tell apple to jump on the tractor in the tv market and smart watch market. Unless they come out with devices that just completely blow away the world, they're already behind samsung :/

Banned
    Thanks

also, every problem under the sun can be solved on an Android device, if you dont know how, head over to A and you will get a solution to any problem you have--sometimes within minutes after you post it.

Well my S4 was on 4.2.2 and when I upgraded to 4.3 I lost Wifi. It refused to turn on. Then I noticed I also lost the SD card as when you put in the card it popped up a message saying you can now safely remove the SD Card.
    All my data was corrupt so I had to factory reset. I tried a restore from Kies and that didn't help or work as it again was corrupt.

Samsung replaced it as it was faulty. There is no way I will try that again. I'm going to wait for 4.4 to get released and hopefully I wont have as much trouble as 4.3 gave me.

Have you tried to downgrade from 4.3? NO you haven't. 4.3 comes with Knox and that stops you from downgrading. Go ahead and try and see how far you get. I bet you'll be returning it to the shop crying when you bricked it as thats what it will do.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    You mean like the iPhone 5c?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 778 Posts

I've gotta say, you Android peeps aren't making Android sound as great as you would like us, Fanboys, to believe!

If I were a normal user, how are losing all these 'default' functions acceptable??? There's no reason why any normal user should have to search A for ROMs just so their phone functions properly, yet, risk bricking it!

Thank you for showing me that switching to Android can cause huge headaches!!! I'll just stick w/ my boring iphone that worx right out of the box.

BTW, I thought Android was 'open.' What's this stuff about not being able to downgrade 4.3? Isn't flashing any ROM supposed to be part of your ammo for defending Droid?!!!! LOL!

+1
    Last edited by thazsar; 10-29-2013 at 12:05 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post
    You mean like the iPhone 5c?
    No, he said junk. I bet most of you on this forum don't remember when Samsung first started importing consumer electronics to the US marketplace. They sold low end bottom of the barrel stuff. They were a no name maker like the Coby of today. If you couldn't afford a reliable well built item you would turn to Samsung for their cheap stuff.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SirZyrion's Avatar
    Thanks

Android always reminds me of buying a car with a great engine, but no steering wheel or tires. There is no other product in the world I can think of that people buy, love, and defend so fiercely that's so.."incomplete".

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SirZyrion View Post
    Android always reminds me of buying a car with a great engine, but no steering wheel or tires. There is no other product in the world I can think of that people buy, love, and defend so fiercely that's so.."incomplete".
    Well here's what an iPhone would be if it was a car

-You would be limited to driving 65 or whatever the speed limit is
    -You can easily bypass the car lock by exploiting the keypad on the door
    -You are only allowed to put Apple approved accessories in it
    -Adding somebody elses accesories requires you to remove all your accesories
    -You don't have access to the engine or battery and must be opened by an Apple dealer
    -All maintenance must be done at an Apple dealer
    -Opening the hood and maintaining the car on your own voids the warranty
    -Replacement parts for the car are expensive and labor prices are insane
    -The car itself would be extremely expensive
    -Apple Maps is likely to lead you off a bridge
    -The latest version of iCar would make you seasick with the windshield adjusting your view making it look like you are looking directly at the road from any angle
    Last edited by Slim J; 10-29-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks

Let me check real quick...yup, I'm at modmyi.com...weird......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 778 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    Well here's what an iPhone would be if it was a car

-You would be limited to driving 65 or whatever the speed limit is
    -You can easily bypass the car lock by exploiting the keypad on the door
    -You are only allowed to put Apple approved accessories in it
    -Adding somebody elses accesories requires you to remove all your accesories
    -You don't have access to the engine or battery and must be opened by an Apple dealer
    -All maintenance must be done at an Apple dealer
    -Opening the hood and maintaining the car on your own voids the warranty
    -Replacement parts for the car are expensive and labor prices are insane
    -The car itself would be extremely expensive
    -Apple Maps is likely to lead you off a bridge
    -The latest version of iCar would make you seasick with the windshield adjusting your view making it look like you are looking directly at the road from any angle
    Ha! Nice one!

Nobody has commented on my earlier post, though. Why???

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,334 Times in 5,978 Posts

According to this samsungs are perfect. So why bother making new ones?

Apparently they are too busy answering questions about problems over at A. Seeing that you are usually here posting crap.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!