+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Survey Reveals Vast Majority of iTunes Radio Listeners Still Use Pandora

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Survey Reveals Vast Majority of iTunes Radio Listeners Still Use Pandora

A recent survey of more than 800 iOS device owners shows that the vast majority of those who have tried Apple’s new iTunes Radio have either returned to Pandora exclusively or continue to use the streaming service alongside Apple’s offering. The report, from investment bank Canaccord Genuity, indicates that while iTunes Radio compares favorably to Pandora’s offering in fit and finish, the service lags behind an overall consumer perception mainly due to poorer automated song selection.

Approximately 72% of consumers who were surveyed were running iOS 7 and roughly 40% of that group had tried iTunes Radio. Only 8% ditched Pandora entirely for Apple’s offering while 44% split their listening time roughly equally. When asked to quantify the “overall experience” of both services, 66% of respondents call their experience with iTunes Radio “positive” or “very positive,” while Pandora scores 78% on the same metric. Surprisingly, Apple wins with tight margins on app usability questions but loses out to Pandora in perhaps the most important metric which is, “Play songs I want to hear,” 63% to 72%. It’s interesting to see that despite Apple’s aggressive marketing push for iTunes Radio, 36% of those who have yet to try the service say that they haven’t even heard of it.

The report goes on to note that the sentiment among investors is that “Pandora and iTunes Radio can peacefully coexist and together take tremendous share from broadcast radio,” but that October’s listener metrics will be the real test of that hypothesis. Earlier this month, Pandora CFO Mike Herring did call iTunes Radio as an “existential threat” to Pandora, alluding to Pandora being alert and trying to stay one step ahead.

As many of you probably already know, Apple’s long-awaited entrance into the streaming music field, iTunes Radio, was released in September alongside iOS 7. Apple revealed last week that in just over a month, more than 20 million users have tried the service and streamed more than 1 billion songs.

Have any of you music lovers tried iTunes Radio? If so, what do you think?

Source: Canaccord Genuity via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jj2345's Avatar
    Thanks

That's true I still use pandora,i haven't even attempted to use iTunes radio lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

I use it and like it. It suits me perfectly and the ease in buying a song that's playing is a bonus!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Used iTunes Radio a few times. Nothing special, I like pandora better.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

Pandora is still my favourite app though I have to use US VPN in order to listen .

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

iTunes radio hands down. I already pay for iTunes match so it's ad free without an extra subscription plus it plays more music I like more often then pandora does. I have a few friends who don't pay for iTunes match who have switched over as well saying there are far less ad's. I can't speak to this personally though.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yup. Went back to Tunin today and finally heard a few songs that I hadnt. heard yesterday. ITunes Radio needs some improvement

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Used iTunes Radio a few times. Nothing special, I like pandora better.
    What's special of Pandora over iTunes Radio? I played it the first time on a drive out to Vegas last week and it's like the exact same ****.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I like iTunes radio myself! However I have the Pandora app installed on my phone but choose to use iTunes radio.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

iTunes Radio like Pandora radio is only available in US.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Pandora sucks. Stopped using it a long time ago. Purchased Music > iTunes Radio > 8tracks Radio that's all really

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I love iTunes Radio. I've hated Pandora since the beginning. It never plays the songs I wanted or even remotely close to the genres I asked for. iTunes Radio does it perfectly and actually plays similar songs when you ask it to. It's actually good, unlike that s*** they call Pandora.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

On a jailbroken iphone, of course its pandora hands down for me. But with ios 7 and itunes match subs. itunes radio works fine, also being able to adjust the EQ is a plus.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    iTunes Radio like Pandora radio is only available in US.
    It is only available initially to holders of us store accounts but it works perfectly in Europe.
    I moved back to Europe from US two years ago and use it on iPhone, MacBook Pro and appletv no problem.

I think it has also by now either already launched or is about to launch in about five other countries.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jesus™'s Avatar
    Thanks

iTunes Radio has pandora beat in every aspect, I'm sure variety will only improve over time. Not nearly as many ads. If you star a song in iTunes Radio it actually plays similar music, unlike pandora and the utterly useless👍 button.

Thanks

Same offerings in a different package. I like both and use both.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've never used iTunes Radio but Pandora on a JB iPhone with Pandora Downloader, that'd be pretty hard to beat. Look for it in Cydia, unlimited skips, no ads, and you can save songs to your idevice.