+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Earnings a Mixed Bag of Good and Bad

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Shares of AAPL are sliding after hours even though the company managed to beat analyst earnings and revenue estimates. What's really hurting Apple at the moment is the admission from
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Earnings a Mixed Bag of Good and Bad

Shares of AAPL are sliding after hours even though the company managed to beat analyst earnings and revenue estimates.

What's really hurting Apple at the moment is the admission from the iDevice maker that it expects gross margins of between 36.5 percent and 37.5 percent this quarter. That range misses forecasts of 37.9 percent.

Similarly, Apple projects revenue of $55 - $58 billion. Analysts' estimate come in at $55.70 billion for this quarter.

In the quarter for which Apple was reporting earnings today (its fourth fiscal quarter) net income tumbled by 8.5 percent to $7.5 billion from $8.2 billion in the same quarter last year.

Revenue, on the other hand, increased 4 percent to $37.5 billion (up from $35.97 billion in Apple's Q4 of 2012).

"Analysts had expected the tech giant to report earnings of $7.96 a share on $36.93 billion in revenue, according to a consensus estimate from Thomson Reuters," CNBC reports.

Getting down to the actual sales numbers, Apple sold 33.8 million iPhones and 14.1 million iPads last quarter.
    Apple admitted Monday that its gross margin fell to 37 percent (down from 40 percent in the year-ago quarter).

"We're pleased to report a strong finish to an amazing year with record fourth quarter revenue, including sales of almost 34 million iPhones," said Apple CEO Tim Cook in a written statement. "We're excited to go into the holidays with our new iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s, iOS 7, the new iPad mini with Retina Display and the incredibly thin and light iPad Air, new MacBook Pros, the radical new Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks and the next generation iWork and iLife apps for OS X and iOS."

Sources: Apple, CNBC

Thanks

What I read from that is "we're still making billions of dollars, just .8 percent less billions then we hoped".
    I don't see this as a bad thing, maybe I don't understand stock.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Tim Cook is always so excited, he puts up a good front I'll tell you that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It would be great to see what those iphone sales broke down into. Last launch of the iphone 5 saw a massive, unexpected (by Apple, but expected by all the rest of us) increase in iphone 4. Basically a lot of people aspire to an iphone, but can't see whats was difference in 4s or even 5, that would really impact their cheaper choice option.
    This time around, people may have plumped for the iphone 5 , except that apple, scrapped it and replaced it with plastic one. So now you get a plastic phone for the same price as what would have been a metal iphone 5.
    I'd love to see how sales of that went down, despite the marketing tv as "for the colourful "hype.
    Me, I think they would have seem a jump in metal iphone 5, had they not scrapped it. How many people thought 3 years back when launch of that new iphone 4 , that in 3 years time the big big innovation that took 3 years to get to market, was a plastic one, and an expensive plastic one at that.
    Do you think Steve Jobs vision 4 years ago was to launch a new plastic iphone, in 4 years time ?