+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Retina MacBook Pro Owners Report Boot Camp Install Issues and Trackpad Freezes

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default New Retina MacBook Pro Owners Report Boot Camp Install Issues and Trackpad Freezes

An increasingly large number of late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro owners in Apple Support Communities forum threads are reporting various problems with both the 13- and 15-inch models of the laptop. These problems include lockups with the keyboard and trackpad on the 13-inch version as well as difficulties installing Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 through Appleís Boot Camp utility on both models.

According to several users in a support thread, the trackpad and the keyboard on the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro are reportedly locking up at random during use. As of right now, a hard reset through the machineís power button appears to be the only present solution to the problem. Users are also reporting that a reset of the MacBookís System Management Controller (SMC) also appears to be ineffective and a small survey of users within the thread shows that the problem is affecting all three configurations of the 13-inch model. No one was able to figure out whether the freezes were a hardware problem or software problem as Apple didnít officially comment on the issue.

Meanwhile, another support thread has users reporting occasional failures when trying to install Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 on both the new 13- and 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro. The errors appear to be with the partition that Boot Camp creates in order to install Windows 8 as users in the thread have reported freezes and copy errors with methods such as installation through a USB drive and DVD installation via external SuperDrive. A post in the support threat directing users to select specific options within Boot Camp Assistant has been marked as a solution to the issue, with users reporting successful installations of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 after using the method. Itís also unlikely that Apple may issue an official EFI update to address these Boot Camp install errors in the near future.

As many of you may already know, Apple unveiled the 13- and 15-inch Retina MacBook Pros at its October 22 media event. The new iterations have been updated with Intelís latest processors for enhanced performance and significantly improved battery life. Apple also reduced the pricing of the new Retina MacBook Pros by $200, offering the entry-level 13-inch version for $1,299 and the entry-level 15-inchmodel for $1,999.

Have any of you new Retina MacBook Pro owners come across similar issues?

Source: Apple Support Communities (1) (2) (3) (4)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They're using it wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 778 Posts

I wonder if it's the computer or OSX Mavericks. Mavericks still seems very buggy

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I wonder if it's the computer or OSX Mavericks. Mavericks still seems very buggy
    I'm really thinking its Mavericks. I've been having a lot of issues with it on my MacBook Pro but it runs fine on my iMac. I'm going to try a clean install and see if that helps.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

I love that small issues with Apple computers make the headlines (they always have) while other manufacturers like toshiba send out computers with faulty SATA controllers that die after a year and they don't even make a backwater product recall website.

That's the problem with being number 1 - you're just one accusation away from crucifixion.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The first generation retina macbook pros have EFI Windows problems as well... In fact, the only way to install it was to use imagex to expand the image onto the drive, then finish the configuration. I'm using one, and I wish Apple would just make it so I could use the sound card. My only solution right now is USB Sound, or HDMI.

Thanks

A solution presents itself: don't install Windows.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iH85CH001's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been experiencing these exact problems randomly on my macbook pro non-retina since 2012. this is nothing new... I thought it was just me though...

Quote Originally Posted by kalpesh78 View Post
    They're using it wrong.
    Aren't we all?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 778 Posts

I'm really hating Mavericks right now. Too many bugs to deal with. If it wasn't gonna take me hours upon hours to do a backup/disk wipe/Mountain Lion restore then I'd just downgrade. Guess I'm stuck w/ it while they fix all the problems...

Thanks
    Thanked 18,550 Times in 4,058 Posts

I clean installed mavericks on 15 inch mbp and haven't had any issues... Loaded win7pro via USB... It took quite a bit of time "expanding" but got it to install no issues yet. Although I haven't used the windows side yet...